PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Troy Brown contact details

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

TROY BROWN’S DEAL: Receiver Troy Brown’s contract with the Patriots is a one-year package worth approximately $1.1 million. The contract includes a base salary of $810,000, with $300,000 of it guaranteed. The deal also includes a $265,000 signing bonus and a $30,000 workout bonus. This is an upgrade from Brown’s 2005 deal, which included a $35,000 signing bonus and a minimum base salary of $765,000.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 01:47:59 PM

Great

Nice to see Troy back! It would have been wrong to see him retire in another uniform!

Great news...I hope some or all of the Vinatieri endorsements will go to Troy also. Perhaps the Patriots can go the xtra yard in promoting Troy as much as possible....he deserves it.

Did Kraft up his SB because he failed to reach 40 catches which would have kicked in another $100k last season? He needed one more catch.

Anyone know what the veteran minimum is for a player of Troy's experience? I'm wondering if this is a bottom-barrel contract or perhaps slightly more generous than that.

Last season he was signed and paid as a 4th or 5th WR contingency. He ended up playing as a 3rd WR, PR, DB. This year he is being paid based on what he did last year, because last year he easily earned what he's being paid this year. That was probably the kind of deal Willie was anticipating. Either that or they now think Bingo is improving with age. Perhaps he will handle FG's. Miller can KO in a pinch. ;)

Whatever the logic it's refreshing to see a heart and soul player get a reasonable contract here without having grovel or rely on outside income to subsidize the deal.

Veteran minimum deals can't include more than $25K in bonus. Last year Troy got a $35 signing bonus on a minimum salary deal and therefore he was not eligible for the veteran exemption and his total salary counted. It will this year as well just for about $300K more. Plus this year because of the guarantees if he were to be cut in camp he would get a substantial severance ($595K it sounds like). Last season all he had until he made the roster was his $35K signing bonus and a minimal workout bonus .

Tunescribe said:
Anyone know what the veteran minimum is for a player of Troy's experience? I'm wondering if this is a bottom-barrel contract or perhaps slightly more generous than that.
too lazy to look it up, but i believe $810K IS the veteran minimum for players with over 10 years. last year it was $765K. there's also some kind of a deal in the cba whereby for teams that keep a vet player at the minimum, only $500K of the salary counts against the cap. as i recall an effort to encourage teams to keep their vets, instead of the cheaper rookie from grand fort state mountain u.
so the only 'love' troy is getting is in the signing bonus and any other incentives he may earn.
BTW one effect of all the snaps he saw as a DB is that he probably crossed an incentive threshold for number of snaps.

ilduce06410 said:
too lazy to look it up, but i believe $810K IS the veteran minimum for players with over 10 years. last year it was $765K. there's also some kind of a deal in the cba whereby for teams that keep a vet player at the minimum, only $500K of the salary counts against the cap. as i recall an effort to encourage teams to keep their vets, instead of the cheaper rookie from grand fort state mountain u.
so the only 'love' troy is getting is in the signing bonus and any other incentives he may earn.
BTW one effect of all the snaps he saw as a DB is that he probably crossed an incentive threshold for number of snaps.

You are correct about the increased minimum but you are wrong about the mimimum where Troy's love is concerned. Again, those minimum deals only allow for $25K in bonus money (not sure if 2006 didn't increase that amount a bit, but that's immaterial here). Troy counted for the full $765K last year and he will count for the entire $1.1M this year. Had he not made the roster last year he would have only counted for his signing and workout bonuses ($40K+). This year if he doesn't make the roster he counts for $595K as Reiss outlines the deal.

ayjackson said:
sounds like it was structured to allow for the possibility of retirement or the axe, prior to the season
Brown makes the team again. No ax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes