Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reiss:Thoughts around the nfl and pats

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SVN, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +201 / 3 / -0

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

this was funny

2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +307 / 1 / -2

No Jersey Selected

Interesting comment here:

"4. Understanding that there is an independent evaluation when it comes to players who sustain concussions – as part of new NFL procedures – I’d be curious for more answers on how things unfolded last week with the Colts and receiver Austin Collie. It sure looked like he should have never been cleared to play against the Patriots. "

3. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 4 / -1

#61 Jersey

Yes... I agree with someone from the league office looking into this further. It seemed like he was magically cleared to play when he should have been resting. Concussions are no laughing matter, and their effects can be cumulative. Is one game really worth that much risk to your future health?

When you are in your 20's and 30's you think yourself to be immortal, but time will prove you wrong. As you age, those seemingly small or lesser injuries have a way of returning as larger and more serious problems. I know that from personal experience.

V/R

4. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +201 / 3 / -0

someone from the league office did look into it. bill polian.

5. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +201 / 3 / -0

the comment about the jets ST is also interesting..jets have scored big TDs vs the pats in foxboro via kickoffs more the once for some reason.

6. Metaphors

Metaphors In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I mentioned in the "Colts have ouchies" thread that I didn't believe Collie would play. He didn't just have a concussion...he was taken off the field on a stretcher. That isn't necessary unless your brain got knocked around severely.

He had to leave the Pats game without receiving a hard hit. That means that he was never really recovered and/or he suffered another concussion from normal contact. That means he now has 2 incidents in a 2 week period. That is a red flag. If he has another incident THIS YEAR, that puts him in the danger zone where studies have shown the potential for short-term and long-term negative consequences.

The Colts should have held Collie out for a month or so. Now he is one big hit away from facing the choice of retiring vs. what bib to wear while being fed pudding in his 50's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.