PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Suggests Best OL For the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As posted, Reiss thinks that we will bolster our offensive line. Tonight on NCN he gave his choice as the best candidate: Unger.

If this is the case then the Patriots front office must be worried about replacing someone soon. Either through free agency, Mankins, or injury, most likely Neal.

If this is the case then the Patriots front office must be worried about replacing someone soon. Either through free agency, Mankins, or injury, most likely Neal.

I agree re Neal. He's 33 now. The draft will also tell us what faith they have in the two tackles. We'll see.

I've had a gut feel for a while now that we will trade out of #23 and look to pick up either OL in the low first round, much as we did with Mankins

The maybe Meredith in the second

Id still love to get Beatty in the first though .. think he could be Ryan Clady type for us

I said about a month ago that I thought OT would be our first pick. I still think that will be the case; and we'll pick up another offensive lineman in the second round. It's rare to have so many picks and so few real needs. It's a great opportunity to stock up on line talent.

I am always suprised when lets redo the line in 1 draft case.When tank retired you saw how peyton was effected yet we all question matt light as a player and tom becomes the HOF and game winning drives without a LT who protects the QB blind side and lines up against the best pass rusher is crazy.

LT - He is light and in more than 1 ways. We run not only pulling gaurds play but pull the left tackle on runs . No tackle too big is going to be able to pull.I hate losing plays because we had to have a 350LB tackle who cannot run or pull.

Kazur - When the 2005 draft was redone he was selected in the first round top 10 by SI. he is one of the top 3 tackles taken that year. so if any tackle who is rated outside the top 3 in talent is taken then you have down graded the position by taking some who has not proved enough to be a top 3 talent for a guy who is the top 3 tackle in 05

Gaurds - we need one guy here period either for neal or mankins.neal being cheaper and older can resigned. Our running play improved when he came back he just needs to be healthy.

center - we are good again a 5th rd talent who was probabily the top 1 or 2 centers from his draft class.5th rd btw .

SCREENS - NE is a team that uses screen with Light,mankins and dan koppan in downfeild blocking . again we take a bigger OL we sacrifice pulling and screens.
i do not want to give up all the great screens and pulling plays.

Last edited:
Satz - we do not need to give up the screens, pulls, draws etc., but we do need to do a better job of protecting Brady. He's taken a beating the last 3 games he played, and unless he's given better protection than he had with Bridget, he'll run back to Gisele as soon as his contract expires and the next time we see him will be on another magazine cover.

Besides, Matt Light isn't going to the HOF unless he buys a ticket, so to claim that LT - or any position on the OLine - doesn't need an upgrade is crazy. And the quality of our backups stinks on ice.

I'm not saying that we should draft Herman Johnson, either. I prefer my OLmen 6'4"/310, not 6'7"/360. For that reason I never understood why Ryan O'Callahan was drafted at all. But there will be quality - as opposed to the 2007 garbage - OLmen available everywhere from 23 through 97. I think we should take advantage of the opportunity.

As posted, Reiss thinks that we will bolster our offensive line. Tonight on NCN he gave his choice as the best candidate: Unger.

I been saying it for months. BB please draft Unger! Unger is not going to drive block anybody off the line,(Maybe Dante can help him with this) but he is ultra mobile and decent as a pass protector.

He's taken a beating the last 3 games he played,

Okay, 3 games:

AFC Championship: San Diego vs NE: NE wins 21-12. I don;t remember Brady being pressured at all... He was just terrible and threw 3 picks. Maroney rushed for 122 yds and a TD, so the Line was doing ok.

Superbowl: Yeah, he got killed, but most of that was Neal going down, and Brady being immobile because of the sprained ankle.

KC game: He got illegally hit by a guy who had been properly blocked.

Bottom line: NE has one of the best offensive lines in football. Neal needs to be replaced at some point simply because hes getting old, and has had injury issues, but to say that the line is a huge issue, is frankly, rediculous.

Unger is an interesting prospect, he brings allot of starts and versatillity to the table. They would have to find that appealling, you could bring him along slower and see where his best fit is for you, also he could back up all three spots on the O-line. Someone gets hurt and you can plug him in. Hell he might even be able to take someones job in camp...

The OL of the NEP looks better than it is because Brady makes quick decisions, yet he still takes some hits after releasing the ball. Unfortunately, a lot of those hits resulted from taking so many more 7-step drops so that Randy Moss could get open 15-20 yards downfield in persuit of a phony-baloney TD-catching record.

Now here we are a year & a half later, and Light is still our LT, Kaczur is still our RT, and there is no adequate replacement on the horizon for Neal & his next injury. Carpe diem, Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes