PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Stomach bug ended Rufus Johnson's season

Status
Not open for further replies.
STRA

Everything I've seen is more like 2-3 days for norovirus, not weeks. Which is why I'd question it being that. Frankly, it people weren't saying it was a virus, it sounds something like amoebic dysentary, That would certainly last long enough and be disabling enough to match this.

Right -- like I said, the active infection doesn't last that long, like you said usually a few days and maybe a week at most. But you can still spread the virus to other people for weeks afterwards, even if you don't have symptoms.

Since he was around during his illness, there is no reason to lump Wendell in this group.

There are a near limitless number of things that it could be if all we rule out is "stomach bug" (whatever that really means) and MRSA, so saying what it isn't doesn't do much. What are you saying the illness is?

Who knows what the illness is? I have never seen multiple plays miss almost a quarter of the season or longer in Johnson's case for the flu or a stomach bug.

I just don't why people are getting so defensive about this. Again in my 30 plus years of football I cannot recall a single player missing multiple games due to the flu or a virus. This team has at least two, possibly three. Why don't people think that is strange?

The MRSA rumor is disconcerting because even though it may not be MRSA, whatever it is it may be something significant to have people speculate MRSA. Who knows?

I just don't why people are getting so defensive about this.

It's not defensiveness, it's that you are drawing out a lot conclusions based on speculation that has already been refuted and then your own speculation about that speculation.

Last edited:
It's not defensiveness, it's that you are drawing out a lot conclusions supported by nothing but speculation that has already been refuted and then your own speculation about that speculation.

Ummm... I am not drawing any conclusions other than it isn't a simple virius and using 30 years of history to back it up. Other than that, I don't know, but it certainly fair to question what we know because even the people are arguing with me admit this is strange and unusual that multiple players can miss multiple games from illness.

And imagine someone speculating and drawing conclusions with little evidence on a message board. Where are the moderators shut down this thread and sterilize it for MRSA?

Geez, I am usually labeled the board homer who sides with the Patriots on everything. When I start to question them on something that could be very concerning, people attack me.

What if Collins isn't back at practice next week? What if he misses the Denver game? What if he misses even more time after that? I missed the memo that stated when it is ok to start to question the "official" story that he had the stomach flu, lost a lot of weight because he couldn't keep food down, and is rehabbing in secrecy to get his weight and strength back up. Please enlighten me when it is ok to start questioning things. Perhaps when he is IRed too?

And imagine someone speculating and drawing conclusions with little evidence on a message board

What if Collins isn't back at practice next week? What if he misses the Denver game? What if he misses even more time after that? I missed the memo that stated when it is ok to start to question the "official" story that he had the stomach flu, lost a lot of weight because he couldn't keep food down, and is rehabbing in secrecy to get his weight and strength back up. Please enlighten me when it is ok to start questioning things. Perhaps when he is IRed too?

Sure, if those things happened then it would of course be alarming. The point is that we've known for a week what Collins was dealing with, we've known for most of this week what NE's gameplan was with him and we know that Wendell almost certainly had something different.

If we didn't know any of that then every other thread would be speculating about Jamie, my posts included. Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just pointing out that, other than the specific illness, there isn't much we're in the dark about at this point.

Sure, if those things happened then it would of course be alarming. The point is that we've known for a week what Collins was dealing with, we've known for most of this week what NE's gameplan was with him and we know that Wendell almost certainly had something different.

If we didn't know any of that then every other thread would be speculating about Jamie, my posts included. Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just pointing out that, other than the specific illness, there isn't much we're in the dark about at this point.

I didn't mean to take it out on you. I have been taken a lot of personal shot today in this thread and a bit defensive.

Unfortunately we don't know if we really know what he is dealing with or even if Wendell really had something different. Like most things like this, we will likely get closer to the true story after the season is over just like many injuries that are downplayed or overlooked during the season.

For the record, im going to assume Wendell didnt end up on IR with what they're saying Johnson has. He was doing that show on CSNNE with Giardi and Koppen up until they placed him on IR.

Wendell ended up on IR due to a knee injury, but I think the fact that he was out with a vague listing of "personal illness" prior to that (earlier in the season/TC period) is what Rob is referring to.

Like others have said, who knows if what Wendell had was anything near the same as Johnson or Collins, so we're just speculating.

Charlie Sheen looked okay. So give Collins whatever hes taking.

Norovirus is bad- had it in my mid 20's and had to go to hospital as I couldn't get any fluids down (constant vomiting/other end). The stomach trouble stuck around at least another week and was severe. Once that settled down, I was much weaker for a time being. Nasty disease. Hope Collims is over it.

It could be Norovirus like some have suggested, or maybe a C. diff infection

Ummm... I am not drawing any conclusions other than it isn't a simple virius and using 30 years of history to back it up. Other than that, I don't know, but it certainly fair to question what we know because even the people are arguing with me admit this is strange and unusual that multiple players can miss multiple games from illness.

And imagine someone speculating and drawing conclusions with little evidence on a message board. Where are the moderators shut down this thread and sterilize it for MRSA?

Geez, I am usually labeled the board homer who sides with the Patriots on everything. When I start to question them on something that could be very concerning, people attack me.

I don't know how you could question the official story, since there hasn't been one. We have fairly reasonable reports that he had a virus (not catagorized as simple stomach flu) and that he was unable to eat anything for more than a week.

As I said, the symptoms sound very much like amoebic dysentery. That can know someone down for a few weeks and cause them to lose weight and become dehydrated. I'm sure there are other things that have the same symptoms. Just not plain stomach flu.

They got to make sure their locker rooms are completely sanitized before the players even step foot in them.

Charlie Sheen looked okay. So give Collins whatever hes taking.

As tempting as boatloads of cocaine and heaps of dirty whores sound, your comments are too soon, man. Too soon. :cool:

Like others have said, sending Rufus Johnson to IR could just be a case of needing that roster spot and not knowing how long he'll be infectious. Collins is critical to our success, so they're going to take different measures with him.

If a guy is going to be out for a while and then perhaps diminished for a while after he returns, whether or not he is IRed has a whole lot to do with his status on the team. A guy who's end-of-roster even when fully contributing will be IRed in such a case, but a star might not.

Viruses attack anyone i know this, but you cant tell me 3 players get knocked out for an extended period of time (2 for the season) because of it.
What are you trying to say?
This is apparently what happened are you saying its a lie?

By the way Wendell recovered and was ird for a knee injury.
Collins reportedly is over the virus and rebuilding strength and weight.
I don't think Johnson was actually knocked out for the season but rather is a fringe player who was going to miss 3 weeks or so and was t worthy of holding a roster spot for.
But again I hag no clue what point you are trying to make when you say I can't tell you that what happened happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore