PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Stomach bug ended Rufus Johnson's season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, finally something definitive enough to set some expectations for Collins' return. It sounds as if he can get back for Denver, he will have done a remarkable job winning against this particular virus.

Based on what Rufus went through ,DEN seems very doubtful. I'm assuming he's lost 10+ lbs and significant strength.

Based on what Rufus went through ,DEN seems very doubtful. I'm assuming he's lost 10+ lbs and significant strength.

There's no way we know where he is at with his recovery. I'm sure you hope as much as all of us that you are wrong.

I think it's reasonably safe to say , be it Denver or home VS Philly, he'll be coming back to help in the pursuit of wrapping up the bye and HF throughout.

I know they are claiming that it isn't staph or MRSA spreading through the Patriots' locker room, but it definitely more than a simple stomach bug.

MRSA and Staph don't cause inflammation to the stomach. There is a stomach virus that has made the news that is going around the country and that is what this sounds like..

There's no way we know where he is at with his recovery. I'm sure you hope as much as all of us that you are wrong.

I think it's reasonably safe to say , be it Denver or home VS Philly, he'll be coming back to help in the pursuit of wrapping up the bye and HF throughout.

I hope I'm very wrong but the fact that
He isn't practicing or even allowed back at the stadium is disconcerting.

Here's hoping Chandler Jones' "abdomen" is a muscle strain...

Good lord, I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe Wendell, but certainly Johnson and Collins?

And before his ACL, Dion Lewis was battling an abdominal injury.

More of the same?

Keep Collins out as long as necessary. No need to rush him back against Denver and their worst offense in the league.

My random guess is that it sounds like norovirus... which is super contagious so it makes sense that the Pats aren't even entertaining the possibility of Collins coming back until he's clearly 100%.

For anyone who's been on a cruise, norovirus is what they have those cells that they can lock you up in for. If you display any symptoms, they just lock you up and deal with it later, because otherwise you could infect the entire ship in no time, and it's pretty debilitating as far as making it pretty much impossible to retain food/fluids.

And before his ACL, Dion Lewis was battling an abdominal injury.

More of the same?
I guess inflammation of the stomach is an abdominal injury....?

Keep Collins out as long as necessary. No need to rush him back against Denver and their worst offense in the league.
If Collins has the same illness that felled Johnson and Wendell, the reason he is on the roster and the others are not is some combination of (a) he has a less severe case, (b) his value to the team, and (c) the ability to field a competitive team with available roster slots. As injuries mount, the need for healthy players increases and the equation tilts against the unhealthy. Let's hope Collins returns to health soon and the injury bug leaves us alone for awhile.

Norovirus I'm guessing? Usually it's highly contagious in enclosed environments though.
Sounds possible, but these guys Johnson, Collins, and probably Wendell are all Young very healthy individuals. Noro is usually found on cruise ships, and while i don't know the physical condition of the thousands that have caught it, i doubt they're immune systems are in the shape of these players.

Didn't that arrogant douche gasper say Johnson had MRSA when he was on felger and mazz feeding the ******** MRSA rumor about Collins that they were basically rooting for to be true?

Didn't that arrogant douche gasper say Johnson had MRSA when he was on felger and mazz feeding the ******** MRSA rumor about Collins that they were basically rooting for to be true?
I hope Gasper moves.

I know they are claiming that it isn't staph or MRSA spreading through the Patriots' locker room, but it definitely more than a simple stomach bug.
MRSA is a staph infection. The people that usually infected are in the hospital and have undergone surgery. MRSA is not communicable unless you have a break in your skin, or it comes in contact with a mucus membrane ie lipps eyes etc. it is not an air borne pathogen. So its very highly un-likely that these guys have spread MRSA amongst them selves. it spreads through physical contact.

MRSA is a staph infection. The people that usually infected are in the hospital and have undergone surgery. MRSA is not communicable unless you have a break in your skin, or it comes in contact with a mucus membrane ie lipps eyes etc. it is not an air borne pathogen. So its very highly un-likely that these guys have spread MRSA amongst them selves. it spreads through physical contact.

I think you are conflating things here. MRSA is transmitted by contact with the pathogen. It can be skin to skin or object to skin. That's why the disinfection protocols are so extensive when there's a case of MRSA.

MRSA and Staph don't cause inflammation to the stomach. There is a stomach virus that has made the news that is going around the country and that is what this sounds like..

I never said they did. I am saying we have no idea if it is really stomach viruses. When have there ever been three players on one team that have missed multiple weeks due to illness (one going to IR although they could be using it for an excuse to IR Johnson to free up his roster spot without cutting him). Hell, when has one player on a team done that other than the Patriots.

If it was a stomach bug thing going through the country, why hasn't any other player in the league missed multiple weeks because of the virus? I think there is more going on here, but I don't think it is staph or MRSA.

Last edited:

As someone who's had Staph food poisoning, yeah, it does. OTOH, it tends to be self limiting and a short course of antibiotics does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes