PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Chad Jackson released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what his contract looks like. I just don't see CJ Jones lasting a full season. I have to think he's one of those guys that will hit the bricks soon.

That wouldn't surpise me either, but I would be shocked for Jackson to be back.

I don't have a problem with Jackson being cut, as I was never all that impressed. I simply hoped he would be THE man someday, but oh well. For all the people calling him a bust. I would have to say, a bust for the Pats maybe, but its a little too early to consider his nfl career a bust. The kid is only 22, and has a ways to go before the official "bust" label.

CJ Jones didnt blow me away either, so as another poster mentioned, maybe he's a temp. Porbably wont last too long.

How the f*** does Matt Cassel make the team but not Chad Jackson? They could have given him one more year to do something. What a waste of a pick! Could have had Greg Jennings and someone else. Way to move up for someone in draft, only to give up on them so soon. Sometimes the Pats moves really irritate the s*** out of me. And the John Lynch signing turned out to be pointless. Nobody should call Jackson a bust, the Pats are the real bust. It wasn't Jackson's fault the Pats were dumb enough to trade up for him. How does one team become so high on a player saying he was so good with us on the "whiteboard" but then pulls a 180 after being drafted. Sounds like the Pats didn't do their homework on that one.

I hope Chad gets a chance with another team and tears it up and makes the Pats look stupid.

I'm so glad you don't work in the Pats front office.

and you really hope he makes us look stupid?????? I hope you are not planning on being this years "fan of the year". :confused:

Oh come on, DI, let's not hide behind statistics. By that logic would you say that a player who played extrememly well in his one and only game and then suffered a career-ending injury also "produced more than Johnson"? You can't only measure the time they actually play. Let's look at their seasons as a whole.

You need to make the team and get on the field to be productive. Bethel was a solid part of two SB winners, and he made the team and suited up for most games. Jackson cannot say nearly the same.

And what on earth did Jackson ever do that came nearly as close to importance as Bethel's kick-off return for a TD in the closing seconds of the first half against the Colts during the 2003 regular season? No TD, likely lose that game, likely do not have HFA in the playoffs that year, and then who knows what happens.

Anyway, maybe you would trade Bethel's production for Jackson's. I never would. Bethel made some nice contributions. He was just frustrating to root for because we all wanted more.

I'm not hiding behind anything. Comparing Johnson and Jackson in order to denigrate Jackson wasn't my doing, because I think it's an invalid comparison for that purpose. Jackson was a more productive player than Johnson, despite an ACL injury as a rookie and barely seeing the field as a second year receiver. That's how bloody useless Johnson turned out to be as an overall player, a few highlight reel moments notwithstanding.

I was just looking at the 2006 draft, I remembered we traded up high in the 2nd round for him. So not only is he a officially a bust now, but we traded picks with the packers and they drafted Greg Jennings Late in the 2nd round.

Also a few other players availiable, MJD, and Devin Hester.
You can't get em all right.

Last edited:
I hope Chad gets a chance with another team and tears it up and makes the Pats look stupid.

Wow, you like Chad enough that it makes you root against the Pats. Well done. That makes you some kind of super Pats fan.

And on the same day you call Eugene Wilson "trash".

Last edited:
I'm not hiding behind anything. Comparing Johnson and Jackson in order to denigrate Jackson wasn't my doing, because I think it's an invalid comparison for that purpose. Jackson was a more productive player than Johnson, despite an ACL injury as a rookie and barely seeing the field as a second year receiver. That's how bloody useless Johnson turned out to be as an overall player, a few highlight reel moments notwithstanding.

I'm not talking about "a few highlight reel moments". I'm talking about contributions Bethel made that led directly to winning very important games, such as the 2003 Colts game I already mentioned and the Titans game in the playoffs later that year in which he caught a TD. When did Jackson ever do anything close to that?

Maybe I am missing your point. Please tell me why you state that "Jackson was a more productive player than Johnson", because I cannot come close to seeing it. In my estimation, Bethel was a superior WR and a far superior KR. Didn't he lead the league in KR avg in 2003 or 2004?

(I canot access NFL.com from here right now).

Releasing Jackson leads me to suppose a few things

1. Im sure TB would have given his few on Jackson and whether he felt they could develop. Obviously he didnt rate him

2. Welker cant be all that bad

3. Washington, Aiken and Ventrone should all see some snaps. Personally I think Ventrone could be the most interesting

4. Are we deliberately releasing cap space to go after a OT or CB?

I was just looking at the 2006 draft, I remembered we traded up high in the 2nd round for him. So not only is he a officially a bust now, but we traded picks with the packers and they drafted Greg Jennings Late in the 2nd round.

Also a few other players availiable, MJD, and Devin Hester.
You can't get em all right.

Quick! Name all the 23 year old receivers coming off of ACL surgery that you've ever seen rack up 70+ catches in the NFL. 60+? Hell, how many had more than, say 10?

Jackson may end up failing to make it in the league, but people keep ignoring the facts or acting as if they shouldn't matter. He's just 23 years old, has had ACL surgery which basically cost him a season, and he will go through this season (his third) STILL not having an entire Offseason, training camp and regular season with his team. He's apparently not a good fit for the Patriots in the eyes of the team, but he's never done anything horrible that I know of, and he'll get a chance to catch on elsewhere. I, for one, wish him luck.

I'm not talking about "a few highlight reel moments". I'm talking about contributions Bethel made that led directly to winning very important games, such as the 2003 Colts game I already mentioned and the Titans game in the playoffs later that year in which he caught a TD. When did Jackson ever do anything close to that?

Maybe I am missing your point. Please tell me why you state that "Jackson was a more productive player than Johnson", because I cannot come close to seeing it. In my estimation, Bethel was a superior WR and a far superior KR. Didn't he lead the league in KR avg in 2003 or 2004?

(I canot access NFL.com from here right now).

By the numbers, and realizing that Jackson's are very limited:

Johnson was the better KR. Jackson the better PR. Johnson had a higher YPC, but Jackson has more catches (both are under 1) per game and more touchdowns per game. And, to make it even worse for Johnson, that's with Jackson essentially only playing as an NFL rookie who missed the preseason. Johnson really sucked even more than most people remember, because 3 or 4 plays cloud their judgment. Johnson played 50 NFL games, and had just 39 catches and 4 tds with all that speed (He also had the 2 KRs for touchdowns that people like to talk about). Jackson has played in 14 games, and has 13 catches and 3 touchdowns. If Jackson catches on anywhere this season, even as a 4th or 5th wideout, he could surpass Johnson's career TD and reception totals with just a 27 catch, 2 TD season.

Just as an aside, I really hate the 40 time as measuring stick, because it tells you almost nothing on its own. When you break down the difference in distance it equates to for a 4.3 to a 4.6, for example, it's only about an arm's length. What would be much more helpful to have would be 10 yard splits over the course of about 50-60 yards. That would tell us about initial explosion, acceleration and top speed, and would probably lead to better success with scouting wide receivers. Like the basketball players' "first step", the initial explosion is very often where the battle between WR and CB is won in man-on-man situations.

Last edited:
Parcells always said that if a player didn't get it by year 3, he likely never will. Chad Jackson didn't get it and that's why he is gone, end of story.

By the numbers, and realizing that Jackson's are very limited:

Johnson was the better KR. Jackson the better PR. Johnson had a higher YPC, but Jackson has more catches (both are under 1) per game and more touchdowns per game. And, to make it even worse for Johnson, that's with Jackson essentially only playing as an NFL rookie who missed the preseason. Johnson really sucked even more than most people remember, because 3 or 4 plays cloud their judgment. Johnson played 50 NFL games, and had just 39 catches and 4 tds with all that speed (He also had the 2 KRs for touchdowns that people like to talk about). Jackson has played in 14 games, and has 13 catches and 3 touchdowns. If Jackson catches on anywhere this season, even as a 4th or 5th wideout, he could surpass Johnson's career TD and reception totals with just a 27 catch, 2 TD season.

Just as an aside, I really hate the 40 time as measuring stick, because it tells you almost nothing on its own. When you break down the difference in distance it equates to for a 4.3 to a 4.6, for example, it's only about an arm's length. What would be much more helpful to have would be 10 yard splits over the course of about 50-60 yards. That would tell us about initial explosion, acceleration and top speed, and would probably lead to better success with scouting wide receivers. Like the basketball players' "first step", the initial explosion is very often where the battle between WR and CB is won in man-on-man situations.

Thanks for the breakdown. You rely more heavily on statistics than I do, so I'll agree to disagree with you here. When stats are that close, and that marginal, I trust my eyes and guts. I would take 2003-2004 Bethel over 2006-current Jackson, especially because Bethel did show that he could do it when he had to. I just never felt that way about CJack. Anyway, I wish the guy luck.

Re: the 40 yard dash times, sure, that makes sense. I tend to hate objective measurements anyway.

But most importantly: do you not sleep? Where are you?

Its just another wr that just did not get the patriot way.. Deion Branch did, but he rather got paid..

Amazing how some people have built this total bust into their hero based on nothing but their hopes and dreams for him. His on the field production, even in preseason games was non-existent.

The NFL will soon be cowering in fear of Jackson - someone actually posted that. :rolleyes:

there was no reason to cut him. He could have helped us alot this year, nobody is gunna be scarred of Jabar Gaffney playing opposite Moss.

I guess Chad was too much of a premadonna for BB to handle. There are team players who the pats covet and then there are the Chad Ocho Cincos, the Chad Jacksons, etc who put themselves above the team, its all about them. Its just sad that we spent a 2nd and 3rd rounder for him and hes only started 1 game and never given a chance to play. He will go to another team and make the pats regret their decision watch. I guess i have to change my avatar now too lol.

No reason to cut him? Perhaps you've missed the dozens of posters over the past months/years that noted his lack of ability to get separation, his clear lack of desire to work hard on learning the system or the mistakes at key moments (2 from pre-season leading to interceptions stand out) amongst other things. Perhaps you, like many others here, are blinded by his measurables and "potential" to notice that his actual football playing ability hasn't come close to measuring up to expectations.

There is a chance that CJ goes out and becomes a good, possibly even great player on another team. But the Dennis Eckersly's of this world are few and far between and you're much more likely to see CJ end up where almost all players cut (for performance reasons) by the Patriots end up - a backup on some talent-challenged team or out of the NFL.

Last edited:
Thanks for the breakdown. You rely more heavily on statistics than I do, so I'll agree to disagree with you here. When stats are that close, and that marginal, I trust my eyes and guts. I would take 2003-2004 Bethel over 2006-current Jackson, especially because Bethel did show that he could do it when he had to. I just never felt that way about CJack. Anyway, I wish the guy luck.

Re: the 40 yard dash times, sure, that makes sense. I tend to hate objective measurements anyway.

But most importantly: do you not sleep? Where are you?
I agree with you...and I too wish him luck..I would have really loved to see him with Brady this year..but THAT did not happen.. Johnson made his mark with clutch plays when it counted..and I would take the BJ of those years..even though both fell way short of what they could have been. Johnson's days are closer to over..while Chad is still young and could get it together..

Last edited:
I feel cheated, I was looking forward to watching him in the regular offense this season with TB catching endzone fades...

Did you really want to see the DB pick off a pass with CJ on his back and complaining to the ref instead of hustling to make a tackle AGAIN?

My fear is Chad being picked up by a team in our division, specifically one that wears green and white or the Colts or Chargers.

Count me as one who is not worried. He wasn't even a first round pick, he flopped with the Patriots and you think he'll be a top 10 receiver in the NFL? That's optimism.

I agree with you...and I too wish him luck..I would have really loved to see him with Brady this year..but THAT did not happen.. Johnson made his mark with clutch plays when it counted..and I would take the BJ of those years..even though both fell way short of what they could have been. Johnson's days are closer to over..while Chad is still young and could get it together..

Who wouldn't???? :D

Did you really want to see the DB pick off a pass with CJ on his back and complaining to the ref instead of hustling to make a tackle AGAIN?
Thank you, I haven't heard that said. I'm disappointed CJack didn't make it and he showed enough talent that I was sure he'd be kept over bubble players like Ventrone.

We saw two players cut, Bryant and Jackson, who playes soft in that 4th game. Bryant got muscled into the EZ on a TD. Jackson sat on the ground and let someone else tackle his defender.

I don't know what coaches see, I'm no fly on the wall, but for a team whose mantra is 'finish,' with a UDFA LB who runs 60 yds to tackle a returner from behind, these other two guys were showing no hustle.

Is that why they were cut? I don't know. But it couldn't have helped.

Don't put Lynch in the same equation. I'm with those who think he'll be back after the roster is settled.

The guy sucks. He might be physically gifted but the guy was obviously a block head. Move on. The funniest post of this thread was the one where the poster said this was going to bite us in the ass.... I'll take that bet. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes