PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Chad Jackson released

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right Deus. Your view > than BB's. Please. he showed nothing, in games or practice.
he showed SOME things..otherwise he would have been gone ages ago..the problem was he didn't take it to the next level...Bethel showed brilliance at points with big plays...and disappeared at other times..up and down and didn't get it..Chad was quick..once and then wasn't even close..If he was teh return guy who could do it instead of Jones..Jones would have been gone..I agree more with Mo on this..although they weren't EXACTLY the same from the neck up..but both similarly immature..

I personally think Jackson tried too hard this preseason. Whether it was not calling that fair catch that he got whacked on, or doing jumping jacks to get Gutz attention to toss him the ball with 1v1 coverage (which he promptly stumbled and fell over looking like an idiot). If he just did his job instead of trying to get on sportscenter each play he would be in the same boat as CJ Jones and Ventrone as part of the 53.

If Chad Jackson fumbled the ball 3 or more times like CJ Jones has done and if Chad let that critical 4th down game ending chest ball thump off his number to the turf (like CJ had done), Chad would have been cut in that 1st group of 4.

CJ was given a much, much longer leash than Chad got. It's a shame he never got chance to play a full season with Brady, now we'll have to watch him light it up for some other team as we continue our search to replace the JAG OT and JAG TE we used for his roster spot. Brilliant !

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I screwed up with Holmes - how bout Greg Jennings?

The main point is that David Givens exited stage left before the draft. We then picked up Chad. Then Deion exited stage right just as the season started. (for draft pick Merriweather). Brady was throwing to Reche, Troy (an old Troy), Doug Gabriel, Chad, and Gaffney (towards the end). That was the WR corp. Today Moss, Welker, an improved Gaffney etc. Even with CHAD = BUST the wheeling and dealing has improved Brady's targets. That's all that matters.

Or, if Bill was just wanting a reliable ST option, Devin Hester or Maurice Jones-Drew.

Even when he is cut Chad Jackson's Patsfans.com obsession gives him a thread 100 times longer than his production ever deserved. The guy was drafted high, was often hurt, produced nothing, and yet he was more popular around here than any player in history.

You think reading some of the posts that if the choice was BB being fired or Jackson being cut some posters would wave bye to BB.

I'm surprised he was cut not so much cuz he sucked, but cuz he was such a high pick a very short while ago, and was coming off an injury. He actually made some plays later on in the preseason. not for nothing, but this team has laid some eggs in it's 2nd round drafting. Think about their last four 2nd round picks prior to this year. That's a lot of wasted picks, in spots where you should be drafting starter quality talent.

2007 - N/A
2006 - Chad Jackson
2005 - N/A
2004 - Marquise Hill (RIP)
2003 - Bethel Johnson & Eugene Wilson

Now we're gonna hear all the idoits saying they shoulda drafted Santonio Holmes instead.

Santonio Holmes was a first round pick. So he wasn't around when Jackson was around. But Greg Jennings was. I guess they just decided to cut their losses and go with someone else at WR. Too bad he never managed to prove anything here.

If Chad Jackson fumbled the ball 3 or more times like CJ Jones has done and if Chad let that critical 4th down game ending chest ball thump off his number to the turf (like CJ had done), Chad would have been cut in that 1st group of 4.

CJ was given a much, much longer leash than Chad got. It's a shame he never got chance to play a full season with Brady, now we'll have to watch him light it up for some other team as we continue our search to replace the JAG OT and JAG TE we used for his roster spot. Brilliant !

This is the NFL and these are the NEP. You don't "get chances", you earn them. Bill has commented on several occasions that you don't get to red shirt here like you do in college. I think a lot of players taken on the first day don't grasp that. While a lot of players taken on day 2 are used to having to claw for everything they "get".

Last edited:
Now we can finally call him a bust.

Even when he is cut Chad Jackson's Patsfans.com obsession gives him a thread 100 times longer than his production ever deserved. The guy was drafted high, was often hurt, produced nothing, and yet he was more popular around here than any player in history.

You think reading some of the posts that if the choice was BB being fired or Jackson being cut some posters would wave bye to BB.

The odd thing to me, is that usually when that happens the player is a hard working, gritty, energetic workaholic who's trying as hard as he can. From all we've heard from sources, Jackson is all talent and no work with little maturity. How he became a fan favorite is beyond me.

Wonder what Mr. King will say about this. Remember last year he gave that unusual advise asking him to grow up?

A lot more goes behind the scenes that many of us fans are blissfully unaware off. So, I am going to refrain from making any comments.

Though I am a bit taken aback by this news as I was expecting the kid to finally show what he can do for us with TB throwing at him, I am going to adopt BB's "It is what it is" mentality and continue my prayers that Welker is fine.

At these moments of 'what-the-hell-move-was-that', I always think of Bledsoe and Milloy.

A lot more goes behind the scenes that many of us fans are blissfully unaware off. So, I am going to refrain from making any comments.

Yep...very likely that it's what we don't see, in meetings, the locker room, etc., that put CJ (jones) ahead of CJ (jackson).

Which reminds me: is it now safe to say CJ again?

there was no reason to cut him. He could have helped us alot this year, nobody is gunna be scarred of Jabar Gaffney playing opposite Moss.

I guess Chad was too much of a premadonna for BB to handle. There are team players who the pats covet and then there are the Chad Ocho Cincos, the Chad Jacksons, etc who put themselves above the team, its all about them. Its just sad that we spent a 2nd and 3rd rounder for him and hes only started 1 game and never given a chance to play. He will go to another team and make the pats regret their decision watch. I guess i have to change my avatar now too lol.

I think a valuable perspective on Chad Jackson goes clear back to his interviews right after he was drafted. I remember vividly his comment that when the Patriots interviewed him, they quizzed him on route running and gave him playbook type stuff and then quizzed him about what he would do in game situations. At the time, I thought 'aha' that's why they drafted this kid because they must have thought he was pretty sharp in picking up the concepts of route running. As time went on, however, I began to wonder if they were instead concerned if he could handle learning routes and the options off of them from reading keys on the field. Now that he is cut, I rather think that it has little to do with injuries or opportunity and good catches he may have had (or not had), but instead just simply that he can't contribute in the Patriots passing offense. The Patriots are obviously not a 'throw it up and pray' or in general just run simple routes and throw the ball to receivers to go after one-on-one. The Patriots approach is virtually route running to get separation and receivers being on the same page as Tom Brady as far as reading defensive keys - or another way to look at it is that the Patriots utilize the passing game as a ball control offense plus big plays where the receiver and Brady both read a crack in the defense. (Obviously Randy Moss has added some spice and variety to this vanilla approach).

One recent glaring example was what probably was a cut-and-dried simple defensive key option adjustment where Jackson didn't make the simple read and Cassel threw the interception. Obviously Cassel thought Jackson had badly missed a read and didn't run the expected route.

So why did he make the 53 and then get cut ? It's amusing to speculate on a couple things - one probable one was mentioned where they thought they had a trade but it didn't work out. But another interesting thought stems from Jackson's success in a couple nice pass plays (which, by the way, were not option key reads but just simple execution of a basic route). It's possible that he still doesn't 'get it' about the importance of route options and gave some 'attitude' that he was making good plays and why were they harping at him in film work and about how he should be executing. Those kind of things might have just been the straw(s) that booted him out the door.

It's not about potential and speed and making a few nice catches or 'getting sufficient opportunity'. It's whether Belichick and the coaches - and especially Brady - thought he could play the Patriots type receiving role. And I think we know now what the answer to that is.

there was no reason to cut him. He could have helped us alot this year, nobody is gunna be scarred of Jabar Gaffney playing opposite Moss.

I guess Chad was too much of a premadonna for BB to handle. There are team players who the pats covet and then there are the Chad Ocho Cincos, the Chad Jacksons, etc who put themselves above the team, its all about them. Its just sad that we spent a 2nd and 3rd rounder for him and hes only started 1 game and never given a chance to play. He will go to another team and make the pats regret their decision watch. I guess i have to change my avatar now too lol.

I've been waiting for you to chime in Briz, I agree 100%, he will go to another team and become a top 10 wideout in this league that teams will fear because someone will give him a legitimate chance now that he's healthy, something that BB unfortunately didn't want to do and we'll pay a heavy price for it, watch. This cut I guarantee is going to come back to bite us. I feel cheated, I was looking forward to watching him in the regular offense this season with TB catching endzone fades and deep crossing routes out there with Randy and now that's gone, for a measley 645K salary, we couldn't find a spot for this guy, unbelievable that this has happened and we keep a CJ Jones and his 3 PS fumbles.

My fear is Chad being picked up by a team in our division, specifically one that wears green and white or the Colts or Chargers.

Tomorrow, we'll know..............

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been waiting for you to chime in Briz, I agree 100%, he will go to another team and become a top 10 wideout in this league that teams will fear because someone will give him a legitimate chance now that he's healthy, something that BB unfortunately didn't want to do and we'll pay a heavy price for it, watch. This cut I guarantee is going to come back to bite us. I feel cheated, I was looking forward to watching him in the regular offense this season with TB catching endzone fades and deep crossing routes out there with Randy and now that's gone, for a measley 645K salary, we couldn't find a spot for this guy, unbelievable that this has happened and we keep a CJ Jones and his 3 PS fumbles.

My fear is Chad being picked up by a team in our division, specifically one that wears green and white or the Colts or Chargers.

Tomorrow, we'll know..............
here was the problem...brady didnt seem trust him as much either.

don't know if I'm the only one, but does anyone else feel that CJ Jones will be cut after the KC game. We're already down a punt returner without Troy, now with Faulk getting suspended and Welker possibly being limited, I have the feeling that the only reason he stuck around this week is to be the punt returner against the Chiefs. If that's the case, he better hold on to that damn ball. I

'm pretty sure Lynch will be back against the Jets, maybe Chad might be back then also, and CJ Jones will be back on the practice squad. Just a thought.

Doesn't the fact that he WAS cut kind of nullify that point?

don't know if I'm the only one, but does anyone else feel that CJ Jones will be cut after the KC game. We're already down a punt returner without Troy, now with Faulk getting suspended and Welker possibly being limited, I have the feeling that the only reason he stuck around this week is to be the punt returner against the Chiefs. If that's the case, he better hold on to that damn ball. I

'm pretty sure Lynch will be back against the Jets, maybe Chad might be back then also, and CJ Jones will be back on the practice squad. Just a thought.

The thought is that Lynch was cut for contract reasons, right? Can the same be said of CJack?

The thought is that Lynch was cut for contract reasons, right? Can the same be said of CJack?

I don't know what his contract looks like. I just don't see CJ Jones lasting a full season. I have to think he's one of those guys that will hit the bricks soon.

Again..... Jackson produced more than Johnson. He simply had fewer years to accumulate the numbers. Go look at NFL.com and compare career stats.

Oh come on, DI, let's not hide behind statistics. By that logic would you say that a player who played extrememly well in his one and only game and then suffered a career-ending injury also "produced more than Johnson"? You can't only measure the time they actually play. Let's look at their seasons as a whole.

You need to make the team and get on the field to be productive. Bethel was a solid part of two SB winners, and he made the team and suited up for most games. Jackson cannot say nearly the same.

And what on earth did Jackson ever do that came nearly as close to importance as Bethel's kick-off return for a TD in the closing seconds of the first half against the Colts during the 2003 regular season? No TD, likely lose that game, likely do not have HFA in the playoffs that year, and then who knows what happens.

Anyway, maybe you would trade Bethel's production for Jackson's. I never would. Bethel made some nice contributions. He was just frustrating to root for because we all wanted more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes