PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Arrington to unseat Butler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Arrington to Unseat Butler?

If you bench Butler because of 1 bad game as a starter then you bench Brady as well....he sucked in the 2nd half as well

Its ridiculous both ways
They have a little more data on it than you do - like how the players played last year and how they played in camp and how hard they're working at improving and about 6,000,000 other things. But I'm sure you know everything from watching the games when you can't see the CB half the time anyway.

It's too bad Bodden had to get hurt, we'll see what happens on Sunday. It would be interesting if Arrington actually could play a decent CB, with him and McCourty we'd have two very physical CB on the outside.

I think most were starting to think that Butler was going inside to be the nickel CB, with McCourtey and Bodden on the outside prior to Bodden's injury.

So if Arrington comes in on the outside for Butler than I would think that Wilhite would be the one that would actually get bumped down the chart. I wouldn't mind seeing Butler in the slot, say whatever you want about Butler's play, he was in the proper position to make the plays, unfortunately he didn't make the right play on the ball or got a little to aggressive with his hands and was flagged. Wilhite on the other hand was getting beat in the slot all day long on Sunday often chasing his receiver from several yards behind.

Maybe the kid just needs to sit out a bit and watch the game from the bench. Might settle his nerves. When he gets another chance, hopefully he'll be ready.

They have a little more data on it than you do - like how the players played last year and how they played in camp and how hard they're working at improving and about 6,000,000 other things. But I'm sure you know everything from watching the games when you can't see the CB half the time anyway.

It's too bad Bodden had to get hurt, we'll see what happens on Sunday. It would be interesting if Arrington actually could play a decent CB, with him and McCourty we'd have two very physical CB on the outside.

Ellis Hobbs started off his career very similar...beaten often yet he stayed,improved and eventually was able to be important enough as a player for another team (the eagles) to trade for him.

I dont think so. It would be a blow to the progress by Butler that the team wants to see.

As folks have said, if he's slid to nickelback, it's not necessarily a "benching."

And I don't know for sure that it would stunt Butler's progress. We've heard time and again that his unique skill set is suited to that of an excellent nickel corner. (Whether or not that's true, who knows.) Plus we expect Bodden to be here in the foreseeable future. Perhaps it's simply time to start getting him his reps at the position in which he is suppose to specialize. This may ultimately serve as a boon to his development in the long-term.

If Arrington/Wheatley/Wilhite can be at least as competitive at RCB as Butler--not difficult to imagine, really--it may prove to be two birds with one stone.

If you bench Butler because of 1 bad game as a starter then you bench Brady as well....he sucked in the 2nd half as well

Its ridiculous both ways
drugs-are-bad-420.jpg

Butler's been shaky through two games...however this worse news for Wilhite. From what I remember Arrington had a good training camp playing corner and is a physical player. Buffalo would be a good time for Arrington to get some more snaps anyway and see how he holds up against the run.

Last edited:

One thing is for sure: If Arrington gets to start, he will hit a defenseless receiver in the head at some point of the game, get flagged for 15 yards and receiver a letter from Goodell. :D

Even if Arrington starts on Sunday, I think it is too early to give up on Butler. They may be benching Butler as a learning experience. Things aren't looking good now, but who knows a month down the road.

With Belichick it is a possibility. I have seen BB jump to soon in the past...he is extremely judgemental and sometimes has been known to make moves purely out of spite.

This is one of the silliest posts you have ever made, and truth be told, that is a very very difficult task.

I have never seen BB jump to soon, or make any move out of spite. I have watched him time and again make extremely difficult decisions. Those decisions seemed almost always based on sound logic, and usually, not always, have been proven correct in the end.

If Arrington plays better shouldn't he be playing? BB has been watching them both play for two years now. Perhaps Arrington is simply better suited for that roll. They are both second year players, and boy Butler has looked pretty bad these last couple games.

And in the end, I must use the ignore button, I just can't take any more.

Ellis Hobbs started off his career very similar...beaten often yet he stayed,improved and eventually was able to be important enough as a player for another team (the eagles) to trade for him.
That's 100% irrelevant but playing along, no-one is saying Butler would be cut nor that he wouldn't become a starter again nor that they wouldn't trade him for what they can get as he approaches the last year of his contract (as Hobbs was). Butler has had 9 career starts, I don't think anyone is giving up on him. But if this happens Belichick might be either 1) getting him into what he sees as his long term spot or 2) protecting Butler from losing confidence until Belichick sees him ready to start again. Belichick is far from perfect but it's reasonable to trust his judgement on this if he makes this move.

Wow, the ignore button makes me feel fresh and clean on the inside.

1 bad game gets him benched????

It wasn't just one bad game. He had a pretty bad game against Ochocinco and the Bengals as well. That was pretty much masked by the fact that we were blowing them out by halftime. A move to nickelback might be a good thing for Butler. He's definitely in the midst of a sophomore slump. But he showed real improvement at the end of the season last year. Hopefully he snaps out of it.

That jets game the entire defense blew chunks in the second half. they couldnt stop the run, they couldnt cover the middle of the field or the outside receivers. Either there isnt much talent on that D or the coaches need to adjust their game plans.

mccourty didnt do very well either

why dont we bench him too and start wilhite?

As he said in the article, one of the most important things for him is confidence. One of the best ways to hurt his confidence is to bench him, and, for that reason, I hope he stays at RCB. I don't think his talent or effort is the problem, he could be a few small adjustments away from having everything click.

The game should continue to slow down for him. IMO he WILL be better than Hobbs and Wilhite.

I reserve the right to be proven wrong by BB.

The only DB who has looked good on a fairly consistent level so far is Chung. We need better and more consistent play in the secondary if we want to make the playoffs.

And as much as people will continue to complain about the pass rush, I think so far it has been one of the best we've had in the last 4 or 5 years (although that isn't saying too much, since that's been a glaring weakness for awhile now). Sanchez made some really great plays with his feet last game after either the pocket was broken down by our guys or someone had a nice rush. I think if we can just take advantage of our pass rush a little better (less missed tackles, better angles, better coverage when the QB is under pressure, etc.) then this defense can be a top 10 unit.

Its ridiculous both ways

That is just awful "logic"...

And Butler got raped by #85 in week 1 by the way, so it isn't "1 week"

But yeah, a 2nd year CB who is playing like **** and hasn't proved anything on the NFL and a QB who is heading to the hall of fame when it's all said and done are great players for comparisons...

Give me a break.

"Butler is benched for a bad day, so should Brady then"

WOW.

mccourty didnt do very well either

why dont we bench him too and start wilhite?

Not to go off topic, but I thought McCourty did a pretty good job actually. #1 They didn't throw at him which is the best sign of all. #2 The one TD over the middle, I've read (but not confirmed), he was chipped by Mayo but otherwise had good position then and overall.

As for Wilhite, don't get me started. He's the one that should be worried.

Plus I think if Arrington can cover, he would probably dominate jams before the 5 yard mark. With McCourty on the other side doing the same, we might have something. All conjecture.

----

One last thing, why all the love for Butler? It's not like he's best CB or even close to it in this F'n league. Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Name of the game, sons.

Last edited:

Then funny thing is that if you really look at the tape he didnt he play that poorly.
The back to back pi.s and the taunting producing TD made him stand out, but if you actually watch he did not allow an awfully high amount of completions and most were very short.

That is just awful "logic"...

And Butler got raped by #85 in week 1 by the way, so it isn't "1 week"

But yeah, a 2nd year CB who is playing like **** and hasn't proved anything on the NFL and a QB who is heading to the hall of fame when it's all said and done are great players for comparisons...

Give me a break.

"Butler is benched for a bad day, so should Brady then"

WOW.
I didn't literally mean bench Brady for this game you idiot,get a grip and stop being so sensitive on what you read,its in reference to a bad game by less than a 1 year starter who deserves another chance

Lots of corners have had rough days vs.CJ so Butler is not the first and he won't be the last.

With that being said I hope Butler is up against the WR other than Lee Evans who I expect to have a 100 yard game vs the Pats - Evans needs to be covered by McCourty,but even Devin looked shaky last week, who knows?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back