PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Arrington to unseat Butler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BSPN: change coming at right CB?

Kyle Arrington was covering Moss in practice according to a photo this week.

Arrington to Unseat Butler?

Reiss suggests the possibility:

Change coming at right cornerback? - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Second-year player Darius Butler has started at that spot in the first two weeks of the season, but he didn't take all the repetitions with the first unit this week.

Second-year cornerback Kyle Arrington had replaced Butler for the final series against the Jets, and he would be a top candidate to replace Butler if the Patriots make the switch for Sunday's game.

I'd be a little surprised, but Arrington is a beast on STs, so who knows...

Argh, beat me to it.

I didn't see the last series of the Jets game. After the last pick, I had enough.:rolleyes: Did Arrington look any better than Butler?
Honestly, other than the rook, none of the DBs really impressed me.

Re: Arrington to Unseat Butler?

1 bad game gets him benched????

It would be an odd move to me, seeing as Arrington has never really played full time on the defense at all, let alone a starting position.

It's also possible this is a matchup decision based on the Bills personnel. Maybe they feel Butler's skills matchup better against the slot receiver this week than the outside guy opposite Evans.

Not starting at RCB doesn't mean he's benched. These days, the nickel corner/safety and a second interior d-lineman should be viewed as "starters" in this 3-4 defense. They play a ton.

With Belichick it is a possibility. I have seen BB jump to soon in the past...he is extremely judgemental and sometimes has been known to make moves purely out of spite.

OK Wrong Bogus, whatever you say

If you bench Butler because of 1 bad game as a starter then you bench Brady as well....he sucked in the 2nd half as well

Its ridiculous both ways

Last edited:

I hope so. Maybe not right now against lowly Buffalo, but I would let it be known that if Butler (or anyone else for that matter) can't get the job done, then someone else is going to get the opportunity to replace them. No positions are "safe", you have to earn your playing time, and continue to earn it every week, every half, and every snap.

I dont think so. It would be a blow to the progress by Butler that the team wants to see. I am sure that there was some disenchantment with last week's performance, but a lot of it had to do with the failure of the coaches to adjust to what the Jets were doing, on both sides of the ball.

As Bill Parcels always used to say " just because you say its so doesnt mean it is"

One? Dating back to preseason, this kid has had a few bad performances in a row. Nonetheless, I agree that it may be too early to pull the plug on him or even reduce his role. Hopefully, this article is more conjecture than reality.

Last edited:

Not gonna happen.

That was one REALLY bad game though.....he got used like toilet paper all game...most obnoxiously by Edwards....cripes...if I have to see butler do that limp wristed chest slap after Edwards face washed him on ESPN....I'm gonna puke! F ESPN!

I dont think so. It would be a blow to the progress by Butler that the team wants to see. I am sure that there was some disenchantment with last week's performance, but a lot of it had to do with the failure of the coaches to adjust to what the Jets were doing, on both sides of the ball.

I believe we will see Butler on the RCB positiion on the first Pats defensive series.

So Butler not turning his head around on the ball thrown to Edwards in the Endzone which would have been an easy pick - if he had- instead was a TD, is the fault of the coaches not making adjustments? :confused:

And what does Butler have to do with the offense? Actually what does your statement have to do with Butler's play at all?

If you want to bash the coaching staff, fine. But at least do it in a way that doesn't make you look like an uneducated football fan.

Last edited:

With Belichick it is a possibility. I have seen BB jump to soon in the past...he is extremely judgemental and sometimes has been known to make moves purely out of spite.

Ok now you are just showing your ignorance. Judgemental? You don't say...he's a F'n coach, its his job to be judgemental.

And I have never seen BB take an action out of spite! So please give me an example of him doing something out of spite instead of what was best for the football team. Just one. :cool:

Yes he had a terrible game, but...

When Butler reviewed his performance against the Jets, he felt his primary struggle came at the end of the play. He was often in position in coverage.

"Just finishing it," he said. "That's what matters at my position -- the end of it."

This I agree with, though.

It's like he just needed someone to yell "Ball!" on most of those plays. But as far as people saying it won't happen; If we know anything about BB, if he's practicing it, he's thinking about it, and therefore it's possible.

Arrington has impressed me, at least, the few times I've seen him in coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes