PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Arrington to unseat Butler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Arrington to Unseat Butler?

With Belichick it is a possibility. I have seen BB jump to soon in the past...he is extremely judgemental and sometimes has been known to make moves purely out of spite.

You forgot the sarcasm smilie.

Re: BSPN: change coming at right CB?

Well the artiicle takes big ump to its conclusion.

1) Butler is not taking ALL the snaps with 1s
2) Arrington might be a choice

In fact it doesnt even say Arrignton was taking the snaps Butler was not.

I think that Butler being in or not on the last series is not very relevant, since the game was over, they were running out the clock and we did not even use a time out.
Perhaps there may be something to it,but this seems like another one of those speculatory comments that are often wrong.

Arrington huh? I dunno. Butler did get scorched last Sunday but he's still got a lot of upside. I don't know if benching him for one game will help or hurt his progress. But it might not be a bad idea to bring him off the bench instead of having him start, see if that helps or not.

I didn't see the last series of the Jets game. After the last pick, I had enough. Did Arrington look any better than Butler?
Honestly, other than the rook, none of the DBs really impressed me.

he made some good plays in PS and some not so good plays. Im sure Butler will get some playing time, Buffalo gonna run a lot more than pass.

The only DB who has looked good on a fairly consistent level so far is Chung. We need better and more consistent play in the secondary if we want to make the playoffs.

And as much as people will continue to complain about the pass rush, I think so far it has been one of the best we've had in the last 4 or 5 years (although that isn't saying too much, since that's been a glaring weakness for awhile now). Sanchez made some really great plays with his feet last game after either the pocket was broken down by our guys or someone had a nice rush. I think if we can just take advantage of our pass rush a little better (less missed tackles, better angles, better coverage when the QB is under pressure, etc.) then this defense can be a top 10 unit.

Really?

I think Chung has not looked good. Excellent in run support, fantastic, but the middle of the field being exploited by Sanchez was Chung territory.

One last thing, why all the love for Butler? It's not like he's best CB or even close to it in this F'n league. Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Name of the game, sons.

Because he has tons of ability and if you track our previous top CBs -- Asante and Ty -- they had similar trajectories. In fact, Asante was behind Butler at this point.

With Belichick it is a possibility. I have seen BB jump to soon in the past...he is extremely judgemental and sometimes has been known to make moves purely out of spite.

you really are losing your cover and presenting yourself as a troll there bleeding guy.

Maybe we should bring that Hobbs guy ba...

*gets shot*

Last edited:

The nickel plays plenty of reps. We will all pay attention to how many reps each of the corners get.

Let me say that I am very surprised if Arrington has moved ahead of Wilhite and Butler.

In the end, I feel GOOD about this development, if it true.

We know what we have in Butler, a player that can be counted on some, but one that need improvment, similar to Wilhite last year. If Arrington is ready to pass Butler AND Wilhite, then Arrington's progress has been more than any of us would have imagined. Personally, I didn't expect him to get lost of reps as a position player this year.

In the end, I feel GOOD about this development, if it true.

We know what we have in Butler, a player that can be counted on some, but one that need improvment, similar to Wilhite last year. If Arrington is ready to pass Butler AND Wilhite, then Arrington's progress has been more than any of us would have imagined. Personally, I didn't expect him to get lost of reps as a position player this year.

If Arrington were to replace Butler, that wouldn't necessarily mean that he'd passed Wilhite. Could mean that Belichick only wanted to swap out one position, rather than two.

1 bad game gets him benched????

He didn't play too well in the 2nd half against the Bungles. As a matter of fact Ochocinco blew right by him on the TD catch in the north end zone. Saw Ocho give Palmer the old hand signal, told my son and the guy next to me watch this its going to be a pass to Ochocinco down the sideline. Next thing you know TD and Butler was the victim.

He didn't play too well in the 2nd half against the Bungles. As a matter of fact Ochocinco blew right by him on the TD catch in the north end zone. Saw Ocho give Palmer the old hand signal, told my son and the guy next to me watch this its going to be a pass to Ochocinco down the sideline. Next thing you know TD and Butler was the victim.

Ocho makes a lot of corners look incompetent. Granted he looked incompetent against Jests but I can name about 5 other players that looked horrendous in that game.

Ocho makes a lot of corners look incompetent. Granted he looked incompetent against Jests but I can name about 5 other players that looked horrendous in that game.

Understood, but my point was it wasn't just 1 game. He has been given 2 chances to start and has looked nothing like a starting caliber CB, especially considering it is his 2nd year. I think the kid has the talent to be a nickle DB where he covers the slot WR, he IMHO is just not a top tier starting DB. Maybe he proves me wrong, I actually hope he does, time will tell.

he made some good plays in PS and some not so good plays. Im sure Butler will get some playing time, Buffalo gonna run a lot more than pass.

Not after they see our game film.

Understood, but my point was it wasn't just 1 game. He has been given 2 chances to start and has looked nothing like a starting caliber CB, especially considering it is his 2nd year. I think the kid has the talent to be a nickle DB where he covers the slot WR, he IMHO is just not a top tier starting DB. Maybe he proves me wrong, I actually hope he does, time will tell.

I do hope he proves you wrong as well and I do not mean it in any negative way. I say give him some more time. He is only second year player and if I remember correctly, Revis wasn't exactly hot thang in his second season as well. Not saying he will be next Revis but this being very young defense along with non-exsistent pass rush, its awfully hard being Pat's DB right now.....

Can you imagine what P Manning would do to him?

the problem is with the coaching. butler is not very big and is being exploited by bigger receivers like braylon edwards. you have to coach this kid to play solid technique since he is not going to outmuscle anyone. for whatever reason, belichick does not like bigger CBs. look at all the smurf DBs he's drafted like wheatley, hobbs, arrington etc. cromartie is a bigger CB and did ok against Moss. Miami's got vontae davis and sean smith, both of who are bigger than butler. speaking of vontae, we had a chance to draft him but traded down and went with chung. in fact we could have had vontae, peria jerry, clay matthews or louis delmas that year instead.

if any of you think jj arrington is the answer, he's only 5'9 and will be toasted by big WRs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back