PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: An ominous sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss:An ominous sign ?

When they trade their first round pick is when they become desperate.

Amen. They have lost the equivalent of 4 starters which obviously affects the depth. Losing two starters on defense ( Warren and Bodden) as well two on the O-line Mankins and Kazcur forces the team to start looking for depth. Put those places back in and maybe the Pats are selling, not buying.....

Last edited:

I think the pretense is more than obvious here, considering we're not yet to week 1. Like I said....the Jets. Down the hall, first door on the right. Look for the nameplate that reads, "desperation" in clear green letters. Because everything that team did in the offseason is what reeks of desperation.

There is no pretense. You are a waste of time to discuss this with though, so I'm done with you.

Last edited:

Meh, most reasonable people were predicting the Pats would be buyers at this point anyway. Because of the cap situation, it was expected that teams would be hanging on to veterans a little while longer, and that a few teams with obvious holes (like ours) would probably be buyers at this point rather than during the draft in April.

Instead, the knee-jerkers are just using this to reinforce their cognitive bias toward pessimism...disguised as objectivity, of course.

Actually, most people were saying how there would be more quality players cut at this point, seeing how that would not count against the cap.

it does nobody any good to pretend that the team is dramatically better than it is,

Actually it does me lots of good. If I didn't think the Patriots would win I wouldn't be looking forward to the game or the season. Optimism makes me feel better than pessimism does.

We laugh at the fans of other teams when they stick their heads in the sand and pretend that everything is awesome when it's not. Why should it be any less ridiculous just because the fan doing it roots for the Patriots?

Actually I don't. I firmly believe that a "fan" of another team, be it the Lions, or the Rams or the Raiders, who doesn't believe "that this is the year." Than they ain't really a "fan."

Actually, most people were saying how there would be more quality players cut at this point, seeing how that would not count against the cap.

Quite right. Touche.

Still, I anticipated the Pats being buyers at this point. Though you are right that it's a bit of a wasteland right now.

Actually it does me lots of good. If I didn't think the Patriots would win I wouldn't be looking forward to the game or the season. Optimism makes me feel better than pessimism does.

Actually I don't. I firmly believe that a "fan" of another team, be it the Lions, or the Rams or the Raiders, who doesn't believe "that this is the year." Than they ain't really a "fan."

If you thought that Lions fans had to believe "that this is the year", just before the team went 0-16, to really be a "fan", well, nothing more needs to be said really, because that says it all.

Last edited:

I agree that Burgess was a bust and one of the worst decisions of the BB era.

But the rest of the article . . . ??

There are 17 '09 and '10 picks of the 53 man squad. They can't be drafting that badly.

Ominous sign? They replaced Woods with White, McGowan (IR) with Page and Kazcur (possible IR) with Ojinnaka. Not sure that qualifies as ominous.

So according to you, if you're a realist and question your team than you're not really a fan and "true fans" must always think their team will win. Sounds childish to me.

Right, right. What's our record again, Princess? Exactly. Just relax and grow a set, and root for your team like a man already. Being a woman, you might as well be wearing GREEN.

Sorry Russ, there is no need to respond to someone who has a different opinion in this manner. He happens to be very good football poster even if you disagree with him.

How about you sit the rest of this one out, M-kay?

Not his best stuff. Doesn't really say anything. Every team has their fair share of busts.

The Patriots have made a lot of bad personel moves lately. Galloway being one, bad drafts have made the issue worse. What players do the Patriots have left from the following drafts? 2006, 2007, 2008 ?

Last edited:

The Patriots have made a lot of bad personel moves lately. Gallow being one, bad drafts have made the issue worse.

Let's see what our record is after this year before we start judging how bad the latest roster moves have been.

Let's see what our record is after this year before we start judging how bad the latest roster moves have been.

I put in the years I thought were bad drafts. 2006, 2007 and 2008? What draft picks are still here from those years?

Last edited:
It's obvious that this team is trending downward - maybe not 4-12 downward, but certainly in the 7-9, 8-8 area. Krafty has cheaped out on the , Belichick's drafts have not been the A to B+ range that they were for the first few years of his "administration". More recently we've been in the B- to C- range, which is probably good enough to the team in competition for "a playoff spot", which is all Krafty really wants.
Krafty just wants sellouts - I honestly think he lucked into his first SB title and the second and third were the fruits of good drafting and good player acquisition. Since that luck run out we've had Krafty unable to strike it rich with scrap heap talent the way he did in the past. I feel gipped of late because as a season ticket holder and Mass taxpayer my family has paid over 15K to Krafty in my time as a season ticket holder 1992 - present.
I hope this team wins 12 games and makes a deep playoff run, but franly, I think they're heading in the wrong direction (yes, injuries do not help at all). I wouldn't be surprised if there are 35,000 fans at the last home game...here's HOPING I'm dead wrong...

That practice may be an ominous sign if the additions are to add starters rather than reserves. I am hoping that is not the case, and start with the assumption that "projected starters" do not originate from the team but rather from the media. If the team's projected starters are getting the axe, that would be ominous - not a death sentence on pursuit of a title, but certainly not a great situation with the season about to start.

The Tye Warren thing was not anticipated, nor was Bodden, so there likely would be some scrambling to address that situation, which is obviously not the ideal way to manage a roster. There will be some coping with regards to those positions at a minimum.

It's pretty clear that the Patriots failed to repair obvious holes. Desperation moves have begun.

Hopefully, they'll be successful.

How is it clear that they failed?? If their solid early round draft choices over the past 3 years perform, I think all holes will be filled quite well.

What I see is the early and relentless injury bug (and a bizzare contract negotiation) as the reason for accelerating using these rookies and 2nd year men as starters now and this has depleted depth.

The moves they are making are adding depth. You call it desperation, I call it a logical way to go about things.

I too hope they will be successful and look towards the coaching staff to be patient as this defense develops and matures over the first 1/2 of the year.

I can't wait to watch the fan base doubt them, chastise them and give up on them, only to return in droves, as always when they position themselves for a playoff run.

Last edited:

I put in the years I thought were bad drafts. 2006, 2007 and 2008? What draft picks are still here from those years?

06-08 don't exactly qualify as "latest"

How is it clear that they failed?? If their solid early round draft choices over the past 3 years perform, I think all holes will be filled quite well.

1.) Some of the players brought in to repair those holes were cut.

2.) Others of the players brought in to repair those holes have sucked.

What I see is the early and relentless injury bug (and a bizzare contract negotiation) as the reason for accelerating using these rookies and 2nd year men as starters now and this has depleted depth.

I see something different.

The moves they are making are adding depth. You call it desperation, I call it a logical way to go about things.

They aren't adding depth, they're replacing failures. There's a difference.

I too hope they will be successful and look towards the coaching staff to be patient as this defense develops and matures over the first 1/2 of the year.

Oddly enough, opposing offenses will be developing and maturing over that same period of time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents