PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: An ominous sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss:An ominous sign ?

Right, right. What's our record again, Princess? Exactly. Just relax and grow a set, and root for your team like a man already. Being a woman, you might as well be wearing GREEN.

Call me when their record is relevant to whether or not they are desperate about fixing their offensive line this offseason.

Until then, perhaps you should avoid posting. You're just embarrassing yourself. Belichick has made his opinions about his offensive line quite well known by his moves this offseason.

Reiss finally calls them out. But it doesn't matter how many people call them out because hardly anybody on this board will believe it.

The sad thing is this organization should've won at least 2-3 super bowls in the last 5 years but their FA moves, trades and draft picks prevented that from happening.

The next time they win a super bowl is when their draft picks start becoming reliable and making plays. Oh yeah, and stop giving away talent when they actually do find it.

Last edited:

No pass protection? Dante will coach 'em up.

No pass rush? BB will scheme one up.

No secondary? Ummm...

No running game? Errrr...

Well, this team could make the playoffs, but I wouldn't put money on it.

P.S. Yes I am a (super) Pats fan, and yes, I want the team to win the Super Bowl this year and every year.
You should change your name to "super homer".

Last edited:

Meh, most reasonable people were predicting the Pats would be buyers at this point anyway. Because of the cap situation, it was expected that teams would be hanging on to veterans a little while longer, and that a few teams with obvious holes (like ours) would probably be buyers at this point rather than during the draft in April.

Instead, the knee-jerkers are just using this to reinforce their cognitive bias toward pessimism...disguised as objectivity, of course.

Last edited:

Call me when their record is relevant to whether or not they are desperate about fixing their offensive line this offseason.

Until then, perhaps you should avoid posting. You're just embarrassing yourself. Belichick has made his opinions about his offensive line quite well known by his moves this offseason.

Of course. To a genius like you he has. The rest of us better just hide away in the darkness of our homerism though, hadnt we? Let the all-knowing optimists of the world like yourself handle all the "real" football conversations. Sorry, princess. I'll choose to actually expect winning from my team that's pretty much done nothing but that for the better part of 10 years. You and the clowns that expect a simple Superbowl waltz ever year without adversity can have at it. But bad form, man. Youre just showing bad form. But whatever. Goats cant be turned into giraffes at this stage of our lives, now can they?

And that faith was obviously misplaced in 2009. :confused2:
Was it? My team went to the playoffs, again. That's my minimum for a successful season, a great season concludes with confetti, but I don't let others tearful folly spoil my enjoyment of following a competitive team - it's that living the alternative thing. ;)

The next time they win a super bowl is when their draft picks start becoming reliable and making plays.

That's almost like saying the team with the highest score wins the game...not quite, but almost.

I wonder. Do the pessimists anticipate and celebrate the Pats losing because it vindicates their point of view, or are they pessimistic as a preemptive coping mechanism?

Hmmmm...

Reiss uses the trades for Ojinnaka, Page and White as the premise for the idea that these moves are "an ominous sign". Ironically Reiss points out in a separate blog entry that it is difficult (if not impossible) to assess these trades because they are all for undisclosed draft picks. Not sure how we can come to that conclusion when we don't even know what was traded away. For that matter, how about we let these guys play a few games before rushing to judgement?

Trading a 3rd and 5th for a player after free agency and the draft (Derrick Burgess) could be labeled as a move of desperation. I don't know that I would call the trade for Ojinnaka a desperate move; he was brought in as a backup with experience, to replace another player who was slated to be an experienced backup (Kaczur) who could fill in if needed at multiple positions.

As for Page and White, I don't think they are going to be expected to have major roles, so why bring them up? Why the concern over losing what is presumably a late-round pick when so many late round picks never contribute in the NFL? Another consideration is that with so many rookies added to the roster in each of the last two years, there is that much less room for a 6th or 7th round pick to make the team. Perhaps adding a player with some experience makes more sense than counting on another rookie to develop. With the number of draft picks the team had, did anybody really expect every single one of them to make the roster?

If the Pats were trading away first or second round draft picks a week before the start of the season, then I could see how one could call that a desperate move. I don't see how you could say the same because they traded away a late round pick. If the Pats were in the business of making knee jerk desperate moves, they would have made in-season trades for a QB in 2008 and a WR in 2009.

Of course. To a genius like you he has. The rest of us better just hide away in the darkness of our homerism though, hadnt we? Let the all-knowing optimists of the world like yourself handle all the "real" football conversations. Sorry, princess. I'll choose to actually expect winning from my team that's pretty much done nothing but that for the better part of 10 years. You and the clowns that expect a simple Superbowl waltz ever year without adversity can have at it. But bad form, man. Youre just showing bad form. But whatever. Goats cant be turned into giraffes at this stage of our lives, now can they?

Yes, it's just me. It's not as if pretty much everyone around has been noting the problems with the lines and the poor play of the players, after all.

Oh, wait.... It's pretty much exactly like that.

By the way, I've got the team winning the division. I'm just not willing to pretend that problems aren't problems. I leave that sort of silliness to the blind homers.

they added special teams help, I'd hardly call that desperate.

That's almost like saying the team with the highest score wins the game...not quite, but almost.

I wonder. Do the pessimists anticipate and celebrate the Pats losing because it vindicates their point of view, or are they pessimistic as a preemptive coping mechanism?

Hmmmm...
I say that because the Pats have the best QB in the game, best coach in the game, and two of the best WR's in the game. Overall, I believed the Pats had the best core of players in the NFL. However, they just couldn't draft any role players to help them out.

But to answer your second question, I want them to win ever single season and was devastated when they lost to the Giants in the super bowl. That took weeks to get over but it still bothers me to this day. It never makes me happy when draft picks don't pan out or they don't win because of flaw I believe they have.

You believed in the 2009 team, too. Trumpet that one.

I did believe in the 2009 team. And they won the AFCE.

I believed in the 2008 team, even when many others were in utter despair and demanding for BB to trade for a QB. And they came damn close to making the playoffs.

I also believed in the 1990 team and each week at the start at of each game I believed that they would get their second win of the season...okay that one didn't work out so well. But it didn't stop me from believing in them in 1991.

Last edited:

By the way, I've got the team winning the division.

I'm surprised by that. The way you post, I thought you would have had them pegged for 8-8/9-7 territory. :confused2:

I think the team has problems too, but have them at 11-5. Then again, I'm not the type who thinks that a team has to be perfect, or without weakness, to be successful. It guess it would just make me feel better from Monday to Saturday.

Was it? My team went to the playoffs, again. That's my minimum for a successful season, a great season concludes with confetti, but I don't let others tearful folly spoil my enjoyment of following a competitive team - it's that living the alternative thing. ;)

Yes, it was. Clearly. From the beginning of the year, well before practices even began.

Yes, it's just me. It's not as if pretty much everyone around has been noting the problems with the lines and the poor play of the players, after all.

Oh, wait.... It's pretty much exactly like that.

By the way, I've got the team winning the division. I'm just not willing to pretend that problems aren't problems. I leave that sort of silliness to the blind homers.

I think the pretense is more than obvious here, considering we're not yet to week 1. Like I said....the Jets. Down the hall, first door on the right. Look for the nameplate that reads, "desperation" in clear green letters. Because everything that team did in the offseason is what reeks of desperation.

If the Pats were trading away first or second round draft picks a week before the start of the season, then I could see how one could call that a desperate move. I don't see how you could say the same because they traded away a late round pick........

Exactly! The word "desperate" is not the right way to describe what the
PATs are doing right now. Have they made one move to obtain a starter?
That would be desperation to me. This is tweaking or making moves to make
the team better. Certainly not moves of "desperation".

I say that because the Pats have the best QB in the game, best coach in the game, and two of the best WR's in the game. Overall, I believed the Pats had the best core of players in the NFL. However, they just couldn't draft any role players to help them out.

I tend to be of the opinion that you draft on talent and promise and then hope for the best, but get known quantities (i.e., vets) to be role players.

But to answer your second question, I want them to win ever single season and was devastated when they lost to the Giants in the super bowl. That took weeks to get over but it still bothers me to this day. It never makes me happy when draft picks don't pan out or they don't win because of flaw I believe they have.

Fair enough.

Sorry, but I don't see how cutting fifth and sixth round picks constitutes panic. Same for taking flyers on free agents in training camp - not much risk if they don't work out, sometimes you find a diamond in the rough.

I see the starting five as a pretty solid group. They must believe that Kaczur will be available at some point or he'd be on the DL. Sure, they'd like to be deeper, but who wouldn't?

Last edited:

I'm surprised by that. The way you post, I thought you would have had them pegged for 8-8/9-7 territory. :confused2:

I think the team has problems too, but have them at 11-5. Then again, I'm not the type who thinks that a team has to be perfect, or without weakness, to be successful. It guess it would just make me feel better from Monday to Saturday.

I post the truth as I see it. In my opinion, it does nobody any good to pretend that the team is dramatically better than it is, the way that the over-the-top homers do.

We laugh at the fans of other teams when they stick their heads in the sand and pretend that everything is awesome when it's not. Why should it be any less ridiculous just because the fan doing it roots for the Patriots?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes