PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Refs can't get any worse....right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year is making miss the good old days when we had replacement refs. This is really starting to be worse than that.

This week is another black eye for the NFL with two primetime games where the refs were part of the story about how bad they were. Ironically, the Pats/Bengals game was the better officiated game.

I don't blame the refs. They're being told by the owners to make the game high scoring to appeal to the fantasy football crowd so the owners can make more money. So the refs are basically trying to guess when they should call penalties on the defensive secondaries like the phantom PI on Revis and the multiple holds on Dennard. It's like they have a quota to fill.

They need to teach these guys what a fair catch looks like. There was a similarly weak fair catch signal in the Monday night game, but nobody hit him afterward so it was just ignored.

I had no problem with the Collins call. I only saw the replay once but the fair catch signal looked pretty clear to to me. I guess it's easier to tell when you're looking at a replay where the camera is pointed right at the guy though

I had no problem with the Collins call. I only saw the replay once but the fair catch signal looked pretty clear to to me. I guess it's easier to tell when you're looking at a replay where the camera is pointed right at the guy though
It was clear that he intended to call a fair catch, but it's also clear that he did not give the proper fair catch signal as defined in the rule book. I don't think any of this mattered to Collins (I think he just didn't see Tate's signal at all), but what's the point in defining the fair catch signal if the refs accept signals that aren't as defined?

The refs do seem to thrown flags that stop the game from becoming a blowout, especially in the first half.

Sunday night it's 14-3, the pats are marching down the field again, the then that ridiculous unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Gronk puts them back 15 yards, the next drive again the Pats were driving and the chop block call on Connelly.

Of course the worst one was the OPI call against Troy Brown in the AFCG against the Colts! The pats are up by 17 going in for another score and the infamous OPI, stops the drive and then the colts mount a huge comeback. Without that call, the pats at least kick a field goal and that game is over right there and then in the second quarter. Watch how late some of these flags come, it's like the ref sees a big play and then says, oh we can't have that, let me call something.
I just wonder where they were when KC was kicking the Patriots teeth in.

I'm not going to get on the refs backs. We are one of the most penalised teams in the NFL right now and that's not because we are being targeted...other teams are managing to do it. Dennard made some blatant grabs of the jersey and that's his style...he's going to have to change it because what he could get away with last year you are not allowed to do this year.

Instead of criticising every refereeing crew, we should be looking at the team and how they're being coached.

There are some physical teams that are adapting very well to these new rules.

Julius Thomas just chop blocks guys all game so he will be going low....let's see if they call it.

At the game on Sunday...it got to a point of where pats would have a 15 yard run or first down pass. And I would look in the back field for flags then celebrate...that's when you know it's bad...

Considering you need two players for a chop block,it's hard to imagine that Thomas is doing it all by himself...the block in the Arizona game was dirty, but he's not 'chop blocking' every play. Don't confuse a chop block with a cut block.

The refs do seem to thrown flags that stop the game from becoming a blowout, especially in the first half.

Sunday night it's 14-3, the pats are marching down the field again, the then that ridiculous unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Gronk puts them back 15 yards, the next drive again the Pats were driving and the chop block call on Connelly.

Of course the worst one was the OPI call against Troy Brown in the AFCG against the Colts! The pats are up by 17 going in for another score and the infamous OPI, stops the drive and then the colts mount a huge comeback. Without that call, the pats at least kick a field goal and that game is over right there and then in the second quarter. Watch how late some of these flags come, it's like the ref sees a big play and then says, oh we can't have that, let me call something.

That's just a ridiculous notion. We've seen enough blowouts where they haven't blanketed the field in yellow to know that's not even close to being true.

Odds are Boger will be ruining, I mean officiating, at least 1 of our primetime games vs Colts or Chargers

I don't blame the refs. They're being told by the owners to make the game high scoring to appeal to the fantasy football crowd so the owners can make more money. So the refs are basically trying to guess when they should call penalties on the defensive secondaries like the phantom PI on Revis and the multiple holds on Dennard. It's like they have a quota to fill.

Sorry, but Boger lost control of the game on Sunday Night. The refs destroyed the flow of the game, calls were called inconsistently, etc. Plus there are a lot of monumentally bad calls that have nothing to do with the new emphasis. How about the Percy Harvin TD a few weeks back where he clearly stepped out of bounds long before he got into the end zone that was not only not caught in live action, but in replay too?

The Wash seattle game was putrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case