PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reche Caldwell visits Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedster822

Rookie
Reaction score
...reported by Adam Schefter on NFL Network.

ted

Yeah, I was about to post that. I'd be interested in him as a #3 WR . . . with Keyshawn as #2.

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, I was about to post that. I'd be interested in him as a #3 WR . . . with Keyshawn as #2.
Reche if given the chance could be this teams #2 WR. Screw Keyshawn.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Reche if given the chance could be this teams #2 WR. Screw Keyshawn.
He does fit the Patriots' profile of decent size, more quick than fast, etc. And I do trust Belichick's judgement but I would be nervous penciling him in at #2. But I'm not expert on him, I don't watch a lot of Charger games.

I think a good pickup....they need receivers...!!

BelichickFan said:
He does fit the Patriots' profile of decent size, more quick than fast, etc. And I do trust Belichick's judgement but I would be nervous penciling him in at #2. But I'm not expert on him, I don't watch a lot of Charger games.

I'd take him as WR depth, why the Hell not. I trust these guys. They'll need to F up more than one FA off-season in a row before I lose faith in their ability to evaluate personnel.

By the way, I think I'm going nuts. In what world does a 6', 215 guy "fit the Patriots' profile of decent size?" He's a GIANT by our standards.

patsox23 said:
By the way, I think I'm going nuts. In what world does a 6', 215 guy "fit the Patriots' profile of decent size?" He's a GIANT by our standards.
LOL, I guess I was a little off when I said that. I was thinking of the calls for a big 6'3" type WR but you're right.

Caldwell hasnt produce very much, but it isnt beyond reason to me that plugging him into our system with Brady slinging the rock would end up with as much, or close to as much production as we got from Givens.

My opinion is that BBs decision was that Givens production was as much a product of the system as Givens ability. If that is correct, then BB would feel he can bring in a similarly talented player and the production would be much more for us than in the system they played in.

For my money Reche Caldwell is a much better WR in our system with Tom Brady than in SDs Martyball system with Drew Brees.

In essence, Caldwell here is better than Caldwell there, Givens here is better than Givens in Tenn, or if he were in SD. I actually think that is unquestionable. The question is how much the gap closes.

The "WR plan" may be that we let a guy go who will be paid for what our system allowed him to do, and bring in guys who will be paid for what a lesser system allowed them to do.
In other words, we add VALUE>

Just to expand on that, here is an analogy.
Lets use Mike Vrabel.

Mike Vrabel came to NE for the price of what he could be as a Steeler.
He became a better player as a Patriot. And I think he would be a worse player on any other team.

That means we paid the price of how good he was as a Steeler, and got a bargain.
If he were a FA whoever signed him would have to pay for his ability or value as a Patriot, and they would be overpaying, because he wont be that good there.

This could have a lot to do with a tendancy of BB not signing players WE think have great value, but when they go to another team they seem to have less value, and were overpaid.

Vrable is a 5 in Pitt, an 8 in NE.
We sign an 8 player at the cost of a 5.
If he would now be a 6.5 if he left NE and went to another team, that team would pay for an 8.
We would instead choose to sign someone else 5 that becomes our 8. We get 'another Vrabel' that we pay like someone who isnt supposed to be Vrabel.

AndyJohnson said:
In essence, Caldwell here is better than Caldwell there, Givens here is better than Givens in Tenn, or if he were in SD.
As they say about Belichick "He can take his and beat yours or he can take yours and beat his".

Or:

He takes yours that dont seem so good, and makes them good.
And he makes his look better than they are going to be for you.

Most insightful stuff I've read all day.
Thanks.

AndyJohnson said:
Caldwell hasnt produce very much, but it isnt beyond reason to me that plugging him into our system with Brady slinging the rock would end up with as much, or close to as much production as we got from Givens.

My opinion is that BBs decision was that Givens production was as much a product of the system as Givens ability. If that is correct, then BB would feel he can bring in a similarly talented player and the production would be much more for us than in the system they played in.

For my money Reche Caldwell is a much better WR in our system with Tom Brady than in SDs Martyball system with Drew Brees.

In essence, Caldwell here is better than Caldwell there, Givens here is better than Givens in Tenn, or if he were in SD. I actually think that is unquestionable. The question is how much the gap closes.

The "WR plan" may be that we let a guy go who will be paid for what our system allowed him to do, and bring in guys who will be paid for what a lesser system allowed them to do.
In other words, we add VALUE>

I'm a little concerned about Caldwell's lack of production, considering the quality of the Charger's offense. They've got Brees, Tomlinson, and Gates, but Caldwell couldn't get it going, quickly surpassed by Keenan McCardell (a very good veteran) and Eric Parker (less heralded younger player).

Martyball or not, the Chargers have had a powerful offense for the last two years, and Caldwell hasn't had much to do with it.

That said, we're so thin at WR that we really don't have a choice but to at least look at him. Also, Schottenheimer's been wrong before about releasing his players -- Harrison springs to mind, and the Brees/Rivers choice could end up haunting them -- so there is some precedent to consider as well.

IIRC, He had various injuries in 2003 had a torn ACL in 2004 and I don't think that he was 100% in 2005.

It seems that he'd be at best a 3rd WR but has trouble holding onto the rock.

Last edited:
He drops a lot of footballs that he has no business dropping. I think he has a case of the Seattle's.

mgcolby said:
He drops a lot of footballs that he has no business dropping. I think he has a case of the Seattle's.

Sorry MGColby. You have to go back 3 years to when Caldwell dropped tons of passes. And even then it was only 3. Last year Caldwell didn't drop any and caught almost 2/3s of the balls thrown his way. The year before that, he had no drops and caught 62% of the passes thrown his way. You have to go back to 2003 to find a time when Caldwell had a ton of dropped passes and wasn't catching a lot of balls.

It sure looks to me like Caldwell got acquainted with the JUGS machine after the 2003 season and I think he'd be a great addition to the Pats.

As last year, we need a bunch of guys to compete for several roster spots. It really doesn't matter whether he'd end up as a #2, a #3, a #4 or a #5. We need them all, and BTW, can he return kicks or punts? :)

mgteich said:
As last year, we need a bunch of guys to compete for several roster spots. It really doesn't matter whether he'd end up as a #2, a #3, a #4 or a #5. We need them all, and BTW, can he return kicks or punts? :)

I looked at NFL.com and Reche is almost a clone of Givens at 6'0 215# and a four year vet. He doesn't have the receiving stats of Givensn bu the YPC are comparable.

And by the way he averaged 26.6 on KO, but didn't do many...

Don't like him....scouting report says he is always injured.

Another thing that many people should note he played basically behind these 4 guys. L Tomlinson, Gates, McCardell and Parker.

Anyones workload would be significantly declined behind those player types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News