PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Receiver-Friendly Quarterbacks?

fxkane

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Query: are quarterbacks appraised for “having the backs” of their receivers? Often I get pissed off when i see a qb (Brady included) pass to a guy who is in no position to gain yards, and in the perfect position to be hammered--and thus to fumble. It seems like the better alternative is to fire the ball at the receiver’s toes.

I’m curious though whether or not receivers ever talk about what quarterbacks are safer for them to work with. Does the media ever refer to this? Or am I all wrong in the sense that all receivers love to be targeted under any conditions.

The passes I hate most are those 2-3 yards deep outside the numbers--give me a break. Only the most houdini type moves can turn these passes into substantial yardage. So you get circus catches and a 25 yard pass which results in a 2 yard gain.

And then the passes on broken plays--to any bloke who happens to be momentarily free somewhere just past the line of scrimmage. Concussion time.

EDIT: Thought i had hit the MNF link

Query: are quarterbacks appraised for “having the backs” of their receivers? Often I get pissed off when i see a qb (Brady included) pass to a guy who is in no position to gain yards, and in the perfect position to be hammered--and thus to fumble. It seems like the better alternative is to fire the ball at the receiver’s toes.

I’m curious though whether or not receivers ever talk about what quarterbacks are safer for them to work with. Does the media ever refer to this? Or am I all wrong in the sense that all receivers love to be targeted under any conditions.

The passes I hate most are those 2-3 yards deep outside the numbers--give me a break. Only the most houdini type moves can turn these passes into substantial yardage. So you get circus catches and a 25 yard pass which results in a 2 yard gain.

And then the passes on broken plays--to any bloke who happens to be momentarily free somewhere just past the line of scrimmage. Concussion time.

The quarterback is the offense's field general and overall team leader. Receivers who complain usually don't last long. Generally speaking, receivers want the ball whenever and however they have a chance to get it. In most cases a completed pass, even for 0 or minor yardage, is preferable to an incompletion as it presents an opportunity to gain yards.

The quarterback is the offense's field general and overall team leader. Receivers who complain usually don't last long. Generally speaking, receivers want the ball whenever and however they have a chance to get it. In most cases a completed pass, even for 0 or minor yardage, is preferable to an incompletion as it presents an opportunity to gain yards.

It seems to me that long ago in the NFL or maybe it was the NCAA, this was discussed, but I've not heard any ref. to it since. So your take is most likely the reality. Still, I bet some qb's think of this more than others.

It seems to me that long ago in the NFL or maybe it was the NCAA, this was discussed, but I've not heard any ref. to it since. So your take is most likely the reality. Still, I bet some qb's think of this more than others.

It's unclear to me what you mean by "some QBs think of this more than others." I'm guessing you're talking about what sometimes is referred to as "hanging a receiver out to dry," where the ball is thrown high and the receiver must expose himself to severe punishment to make the catch. I think all quarterbacks are cognizant of not exposing receivers in that way if they can help it. But keep in mind that what occurs after the ball leaves the QB's hand is not always within the QB's control.

It's unclear to me what you mean by "some QBs think of this more than others." I'm guessing you're talking about what sometimes is referred to as "hanging a receiver out to dry," where the ball is thrown high and the receiver must expose himself to severe punishment to make the catch. I think all quarterbacks are cognizant of not exposing receivers in that way if they can help it. But keep in mind that what occurs after the ball leaves the QB's hand is not always within the QB's control.

I just jogged one of my memories of this--it was my high school coach. He used to jump at his quarterback for doing exactly what you describe above, but i think not only that type of throw... not sure, but he was adamant in his instructions about this--which made me feel safer. Of course, this was high school, and a catholic one to boot, so injuries were probably to be avoided wherever possible.

Ask Reggie Wayne

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back