PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Realistic Additions to Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Par angerer was released by Atlanta. Maybe if no one picked him up, we could give him a tryout.

Whatever the case, the team needs serious help at DT and MLB. Realistically, do we expect Belichick to do something or promote the next man up mentality?

Interestingly, two areas that were major needs in the preseason are critical needs now. Go figure.

Whatever the case, the team needs serious help at DT and MLB. Realistically, do we expect Belichick to do something or promote the next man up mentality?

Interestingly, two areas that were major needs in the preseason are critical needs now. Go figure.
Some people thought that the major needs in the preseason were at TE, SS and OG. Go figure.

You think that we have a MAJOR need a DT. I disagree. I'm fine with Wilfork, Chris Jones, Walker, Easley and Siliga returning after Week 12.

Obviously, we do have a major need at MLB.

I think we are actually quite deep at DT. It gets even better when Siliga comes back, too.

My (somewhat) practical interests at MLB would be Mason Foster, Jerrell Freeman, Jo-Lann Dunbar, Max Bullough and Yawin Smallwood. Kevin Reddick is interesting to me too, because he had the same criticism coming out of UNC that Zach Brown did. Everyone said Zach Brown couldn't tackle and look at him now.

Some people thought that the major needs in the preseason were at TE, SS and OG. Go figure.

You think that we have a MAJOR need a DT. I disagree. I'm fine with Wilfork, Chris Jones, Walker, Easley and Siliga returning after Week 12.

The Patriots have played 7 games. In 3 of the 7, teams have run on the Patriots for near on or over 200 yards. 2 of those games were losses and one close, divisional win. We can argue DE/DT until the cows come home (I haven't been happy with edge contain of either Ninkovich or Jones) but Wilfork is not going to get it done by himself and frankly, I'm not that high on the platoon.

I've been of the opinion that DL/LB were pressing needs. You may be right that I may be in the minority but nothing I have seen thus far has changed my opinion.

i don' see us making a trade this year..unless someone else big gets hurt for year.

Chung is playing well. So no S IMO.

anyone that has followed the pats for the last 14 years knows that any midseason trade for any player with a big contract is not "Realistic" I think next man up or street vet at MLB is a lot more Realistic IMO

The Patriots have played 7 games. In 3 of the 7, teams have run on the Patriots for near on or over 200 yards. 2 of those games were losses and one close, divisional win. We can argue DE/DT until the cows come home (I haven't been happy with edge contain of either Ninkovich or Jones) but Wilfork is not going to get it done by himself and frankly, I'm not that high on the platoon.

I've been of the opinion that DL/LB were pressing needs. You may be right that I may be in the minority but nothing I have seen thus far has changed my opinion.

fair enough

An overwhelming amount of those yards have came off-tackle. Which to me means we need better DEs not DTs.

An overwhelming amount of those yards have came off-tackle. Which to me means we need better DEs not DTs.
I have mentioned that I am not happy with the edge contain performances of the DE's. That still doesn't address my concern at DT. I like Siliga but I don't trust him to stay healthy.

While it may sound like a crazy thought since he hasn't played since last year, I'd be tempted to kick those tires--if true. His talent, experience, and reaction instincts alone would be worth a workout.

No reason not to bring anyone in for a workout - and no knock against a guy like Fletcher, but can we realistically see ANYONE from outside of the organization stepping in at MLB and assuming duties as what is effectively the QB of the D?

That's what makes Mayo so invaluable. And I'd guess that there Belichick has his backups at least somewhat well versed in the ability to assume those duties - though there's no replacing Mayo

But to have someone with no knowledge of the Patriots D step in to that position?

I'm inclined to say "not going to happen" but I'd be interested in the thoughts of others on this

And maybe it's a situation where you just go with the talent at the position and have to call in the defensive changes from the sidelines on the fly now

I'm fine with the DT talent...I am NOT fine with the two gapping 3/4 scheme being asked of players like Walker and Easley that have no skill yet in doing so.

No reason not to bring anyone in for a workout - and no knock against a guy like Fletcher, but can we realistically see ANYONE from outside of the organization stepping in at MLB and assuming duties as what is effectively the QB of the D?

That's what makes Mayo so invaluable. And I'd guess that there Belichick has his backups at least somewhat well versed in the ability to assume those duties - though there's no replacing Mayo

But to have someone with no knowledge of the Patriots D step in to that position?

I'm inclined to say "not going to happen" but I'd be interested in the thoughts of others on this

And maybe it's a situation where you just go with the talent at the position and have to call in the defensive changes from the sidelines on the fly now

I feel the same as you FWIW...I look at the starting D roster and look at the calls by Hightower last game and I wonder if, perhaps, Nink should be calling the D signals instead. Collins is NOT the guy, let's face it.

I have mentioned that I am not happy with the edge contain performances of the DE's. That still doesn't address my concern at DT. I like Siliga but I don't trust him to stay healthy.

There has been legit criticism of my man Ninko in this regard. But earlier in the season I re-watched some plays and I was greatly disappointed in Chandler Jones' absolute occasional lack of effort on running plays. We see his spectacular blow ups of the offense but I see him taking plays off. Contradicting myself, I watched the Buff game in this regard and he seemed much better. Haven't re-watched the Jets game except to notice my man Ninko screwing up on a couple run plays with missed tackles.

I'm fine with the DT talent...I am NOT fine with the two gapping 3/4 scheme being asked of players like Walker and Easley that have no skill yet in doing so.
I agree that we should not be playing a full 3-4 2-gap, or even one masquerading as a 5-2.

Many have suggest the hybrid 4-3 with a 1-gap on side and 2-gap on the others. In any case, there are only TWO DT's on the field plus 2 DE's (or a DE and an OLB). I thought that Easley was brought in to play inside next to Wilfork. Until then Chris Jones is the man next to Wilfork. And yes, I can understand that against some teams Wilfork and Walker can be inside.

IN ANY CASE, the key is that our personnel play better with TWO fatties in the middle, rather than THREE.

At this point, we are starting Skinner in the base, and have no one as a backup. I don't have a list, but I suspect that there are those who will have more of an impact that no one (actually Fleming from the Practice Squad). We might even be able to secure a better STARTER than Skinner.
Last game our base was 34 with Wilfork walker Chris jones on the line and nink and chandler at OLB with HT and Collins at ilb so skinner was in fact a back up.
Chris white and jagaret Davis are also backups.

Given our issues vs the run so far we may stay big more often in the base more often except when we play passing teams where we may not hardly use a base and play nickel all day.

I finally watched the All 22...don't bother unless you're a sucker for punishment. Mangold moved Walker wherever he wanted to all night. Walker never got the gap control he had to, to be effective in any way. Nink also got caught in the line wash over and over exposing the outside to Ivory...on one play, Ivory takes the handoff, runs to the left of center, stops and runs right around right end as Ninko and Walker are both moved to the left. Ghastly stuff. Basic ABC football being played like a semi-pro beer league IMO. I WILL add that the lack of prep and rest factored into this shoddy play. Tired players make mental and physical mistakes. I expect a tighter scheme by the Bears game. If not Forte will run for 150+.

I agree that we should not be playing a full 3-4 2-gap, or even one masquerading as a 5-2.

Many have suggest the hybrid 4-3 with a 1-gap on side and 2-gap on the others. In any case, there are only TWO DT's on the field plus 2 DE's (or a DE and an OLB). I thought that Easley was brought in to play inside next to Wilfork. Until then Chris Jones is the man next to Wilfork. And yes, I can understand that against some teams Wilfork and Walker can be inside.

IN ANY CASE, the key is that our personnel play better with TWO fatties in the middle, rather than THREE.
Not against the run.
I think ultimately the best base D whether we call it 34 or 43 to play both the run and pass has Easley Wilfork walker/jones chandler jones nink HT and Collins in the field.
Against a run heavy team you can take Easley out and play both walker and Chris j as we did Thursday. Against a pass heavy team you could take walker/Chris j out, use chandler j/nink as de bring skinner in at ilb and move HT to his WOLB spot tantrum he looked so good at early in the season.

we need a LB and we need them from a team that is in the basement of the league, so Jax or TB. everyone else is still in it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News