PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Realistic Additions to Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather keep our draft picks than trade for a "fat guy in the middle". How much fatter than Wilfork and Walker exactly? And Siliga is designated for return. So we panic and deal a 5th rounder for what exactly?

Now someone who can play MLB in base and isn't terrible in coverage... that is something that I think has some merit. I just don't know who. The teams that I would circle as out-of-it (Bucs, Falcons, Vikes, Washington, Raiders, Jaguars).

Maybe the Bucs will trade us back Mankins if we give them their 4th rounder back. We get to keep Wright as a parting gift.

The list of LBs that would make an impact is small. One name I can't get out of my head is Mason Foster. I'm not sure he's in the Bucs future. He's really solid in the middle and should be healthy soon and is in the last year of his rookie deal.

JJ Watt, Richard Sherman, Navorro Bowman

.....What??

Last edited:
Note that if and when the Patriots trade for a player they will be responsible for 10/17th of his salary. Example, Paul Posluszny has a $7,250,000 salary. 10/17ths of that is 4,264,705.88

At this point, we are starting Skinner in the base, and have no one as a backup. I don't have a list, but I suspect that there are those who will have more of an impact that no one (actually Fleming from the Practice Squad). We might even be able to secure a better STARTER than Skinner.

The list of LBs that would make an impact is small.

Jerrell Freeman is another name that just popped into my head.

Sure, while we're at it, why don't we just really "go for it" and kick the tires on Bobby Wagner or Patrick Willis? :)

Posluszny signed a 6 yr/45,000,000 dollar deal. He has 10 million dollar cap hits in 2014 and 2015. This does not seem to equate to a "value" kind of stop-gap signing, does it? This would point to signing a guy if you wanted to move on from Mayo, and they obviously don't want to do that.

Look at the contract. Only $15 million guaranteed on a $42 million deal. His cost for 9 games would be something in the range $3.75 to $4 million (the Jags paid his roster bonus). Another $3 million is available through incentives over the life of the deal, but I don't know what those are. An annual $50,000 workout bonus is available in years two through six. 2013: $6.45 million, 2014-16: $7.45 million, 2017: Free Agent

He's 30 and would jump at a chance to be on a team that wins more than 6 games. The Pats can plug him in and if he won't re-do his deal, they could cut him and take on only what's left of his guaranteed money - about $3 million in 2015. His is not a daunting contract, and he fills a clear need.

Last edited:
Look at the contract. Only $15 million guaranteed on a $42 million deal. His cost for 9 games would be something in the range $3.75 to $4 million (the Jags paid his roster bonus). Another $3 million is available through incentives over the life of the deal, but I don't know what those are. An annual $50,000 workout bonus is available in years two through six. 2013: $6.45 million, 2014-16: $7.45 million, 2017: Free Agent

He's 30 and would jump at a chance to be on a team that wins more than 6 games. The Pats can plug him in and if he won't re-do his deal, they could cut him and take on only what's left of his guaranteed money - about $3 million in 2015. His is not a daunting contract, and he fills a clear need.
And would you give a 1st for half a year? And just why would JAX trade him unless they could get a 1st or a couple of seconds?

Make no mistake, Posluszny is a fine player. He would have no reason to renegotiate his contract. IMHO, someone will pay him $7.5M a year going forward.

A middle linebacker would sure help.

Jo-Lon Dunbar, former BC, now with 1-4 St Louis could be a cheap option. Back-up behind former second-rounder James Laurinitis. He's signed through 2015 at about $1mm a year.

Bringing back Dane Fletcher would help.

In addition to draft choices, the Pats could easily trade a corner, and there are probably teams needing a corner. With Revis, Dennard, Browner, Ryan, Arrington, Butler Pats are way deep in corners.

How about Ryan and Harmon for a MLB!

A middle linebacker would sure help.

Jo-Lon Dunbar, former BC, now with 1-4 St Louis could be a cheap option. Back-up behind former second-rounder James Laurinitis. He's signed through 2015 at about $1mm a year.

Bringing back Dane Fletcher would help.

In addition to draft choices, the Pats could easily trade a corner, and there are probably teams needing a corner. With Revis, Dennard, Browner, Ryan, Arrington, Butler Pats are way deep in corners.

And would you give a 1st for half a year? And just why would JAX trade him unless they could get a 1st or a couple of seconds?

Make no mistake, Posluszny is a fine player. He would have no reason to renegotiate his contract. IMHO, someone will pay him $7.5M a year going forward.

I don't think anyone's talking about giving up a 1st rounder unless an elite talent at a low cap hit is somehow available. But if we're looking at a 3rd to 5th rounder for someone like him, like they've done in similar deals in the past, that's different. Especially in a year where they'll likely have 2 third round picks and already have 2 fourth rounders.

Why would Jacksonville trade him? First, there's always the possibility that he asks out -- a veteran who wants a chance to win, is older, and is stuck on a winless team. No team wants to have players who aren't committed to the cause on it. Secondly, it's real money the Jags would save -- and would getting rid of him really cause a loss in ticket revenue? Cash is an issue with them, and trading him will save more cash than any revenue they lose from it. Third, Jacksonville may wish to get younger players some experience, knowing that by the time they're good again Posluszny may be over the hill.

I'm not necessarily advocating for it assuming it was even a possibility. Just trying to point out reasons why both sides could potentially want to do something like this.

Last edited:

What the Patriots would give for a player the caliber of Paul Posluszny is up to Bill Belichick. The Jets really exposed the utter lack of depth at linebacker with Mayo going down. It will be costly to address the problem.

Were I BB Id have my guys scour the PS of teams with quality MLBs to see if a kid who just couldn't displace quality was stashed there

That's basically Max Bullough. He would be a solid pickup.

The kid from Michigan State, by chance? He seemed pretty solid in college, that's for sure.

But if we're looking at a 3rd to 5th rounder for someone like him, like they've done in similar deals in the past, that's different. Especially in a year where they'll likely have 2 third round picks and already have 2 fourth rounders.

I wouldn't see any reason for JAX to give up anything less than a 3rd at worst, but that's just a guess.

Why do you feel that we are going to have two 3rd round picks next year?

The problem with trading for an expensive vet is:

1) We still have Mayo's contract
2) We still have players we want to extend with this year's cap

Taking on a guy like Posluszny would cripple our ability to extend anyone this year and puts us in an awkward position next year when Mayo is back.

Can we trade for James Anderson? :eek:

I wouldn't see any reason for JAX to give up anything less than a 3rd at worst, but that's just a guess.

Why do you feel that we are going to have two 3rd round picks next year?

He has been struggling somewhat this year (see Jags boards) and is on the wrong side of 30. If Seymour could only obtain a 1st rounder one year out (the offer was that or a 2nd that year) while still playing well, I'd be surprised if they could get more than a 3rd for him.

Regarding the 2 third rounders, Talib should qualify for a 3rd round compensatory pick based on his salary. Revis doesn't count against the formula because he was cut by the Bucs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back