PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB's next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

KY Pats Fan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I am very pleased with BJGE and Woodhead for next year, but I think they may need to pick up another. With Cedric Bensen being a free agent, what do you all think about him as a Pat

I think he will try and get more money than he deserves, and as the Patriots FO are cheap, they won't pay him!

But seriously; no.

Agreed Benson is going to be shooting for his last HUGE contract...and somebody will give it to him, just not the Pats. I think with Woodhead, BJGE and hopefully Faulk returning we should be just fine.

I think we'll use a mid-round pick on a RB and might even draft/sign a fullback.

I see the RBs looking like this next year:

BJGE
Woodhead
3rd-5th round rookie
Fullback

I think Benson is going to get a pretty good offer somewhere. He's putting up decent #'s despite being on a horrible team with a horrible line, and put up great #'s last year IIRC. Probably out of our price range for a RB.

I hope we use a lower draft pick or 2 on RB for depth, I'm happy with BJGE and Woodhead carrying the load. I hope we focus on DE, OLB, and OL this offseason.

I think Benson is going to get a pretty good offer somewhere. He's putting up decent #'s despite being on a horrible team with a horrible line, and put up great #'s last year IIRC. Probably out of our price range for a RB.

I hope we use a lower draft pick or 2 on RB for depth, I'm happy with BJGE and Woodhead carrying the load. I hope we focus on DE, OLB, and OL this offseason.

I agree. The OL isn't talked about very much in terms of the future, but it's my main worry. Light has maybe one year left. I think Neal is done. Koppen isn't getting any younger, either. Mankins will probably walk. This is next year's OL, in all likelihood:

Light (could be upgraded to Vollmer)
TBD (LG)
Koppen
TBD (RG)
Vollmer (could get a starting-caliber OT and move Vollmer to left)

Connolly could fill in for one of the guards, but I think we might need to draft and/or sign one or two interior lineman who at least have the potential to be solid starters.

I agree. The OL isn't talked about very much in terms of the future, but it's my main worry. Light has maybe one year left. I think Neal is done. Koppen isn't getting any younger, either. Mankins will probably walk. This is next year's OL, in all likelihood:

Light (could be upgraded to Vollmer)
TBD (LG)
Koppen
TBD (RG)
Vollmer (could get a starting-caliber OT and move Vollmer to left)

Connolly could fill in for one of the guards, but I think we might need to draft and/or sign one or two interior lineman who at least have the potential to be solid starters.

Agreed. OL is the TOP priority and getting players that can keep TB upright through the mid 2010s is critical to this team's future success.

For RBs, BJGE is going to get close to becoming the team's 1st 1,000 yd RB since CD in 2004. He may be a 150-200 carry a year guy for years to come. Solid and unspectacular. Woodhead will be the team's 3rd down back for years to come (hopefully). With that said, if another opportunity to get a 2004 CD for a 2nd rounder, the team needs to look into it (Stephen Jackson anyone?).

I don't have much hope for Clayton but you never know. The Saints have had great sucess putting a running game together with UFAs and low picks.

Last edited:
no, no FA's

lets stick with rookies, and udfa's at that, we seem to have exceptional luck with them at the RB position

If, and it's a BIG IF, the Pats were to actually use all of their picks in the first three rounds, I would like it to look something like this:

bonafide pass-rusher
deep-threat
OL (Mankins?????)
RB
Safety
OL

assuming Warren and Bodden are back and healthy to play.

Last edited:
We do badly need a backup for BJGE should he go down. So, we need a guy that can run hard between the tackles.

Indianapolis Colts have a bunch of running backs, and I think they are all of the type that the Patriots could use. Addai, Brown, Hart, James, Rhodes. Some of those will be cut. A guy like Hart could do a good job spelling BenJarvus.

The suggestion of a FB isn't a bad one either, preferably one who is excellent on special teams and can also catch the ball well. He doesn't need to be a stellar athlete.

I want that RB from Nevada named Vai Taua. He reminds me of BJGE with the positive yardage and getting the job done. He should be a late round pick since he played for Nevada. 5'10 225, 4.56 forty. A BJGE clone.

The only RB I want to sign in FA is Laurence Maroney to open a dunk tank in Patriots place. $3 per attempt.

Last edited:
i learned long ago not to imagine that i have any clue what belichick will do with his hoard of draft picks, but its not unlikely that mark ingram will be on the board for the raiders pick. of course we wont take him, but i think we'll have the opportunity to do so.

i learned long ago not to imagine that i have any clue what belichick will do with his hoard of draft picks, but its not unlikely that mark ingram will be on the board for the raiders pick. of course we wont take him, but i think we'll have the opportunity to do so.

This.. This is all any of us can say.

We do badly need a backup for BJGE should he go down. So, we need a guy that can run hard between the tackles.

Indianapolis Colts have a bunch of running backs, and I think they are all of the type that the Patriots could use. Addai, Brown, Hart, James, Rhodes. Some of those will be cut. A guy like Hart could do a good job spelling BenJarvus.

The suggestion of a FB isn't a bad one either, preferably one who is excellent on special teams and can also catch the ball well. He doesn't need to be a stellar athlete.

Domenic Rhodes was re-signed by the Colts because of injuries.. James is the same way..

Hart, Brown and Addai are their top 3.. That's not going to change unless Addai leaves as a free agent at some point or is cut.

I want that RB from Nevada named Vai Taua. He reminds me of BJGE with the positive yardage and getting the job done. He should be a late round pick since he played for Nevada. 5'10 225, 4.56 forty. A BJGE clone.

The only RB I want to sign in FA is Laurence Maroney to open a dunk tank in Patriots place. $3 per attempt.

Taua is likely to be a UDFA, taking into consideration where he's ranked now (7-UDFA) and the fact that juniors haven't declared.

That being said, Taua does seem to be similar to BGJE. He's been selected All-WAC 3 years in a row.... He's put up over 1000 yards in each of the last 3 seasons. The question I have is his catching ability and how often does he fumble the ball..

Taua is likely to be a UDFA, taking into consideration where he's ranked now (7-UDFA) and the fact that juniors haven't declared.

That being said, Taua does seem to be similar to BGJE. He's been selected All-WAC 3 years in a row.... He's put up over 1000 yards in each of the last 3 seasons. The question I have is his catching ability and how often does he fumble the ball..

Well that's good, I didn't know he was projected that low. If he goes Undrafted got to bring him to camp.

Michael Bush at Oakland would be a good get IMO.

Running backs are overrated. Although some are better than others the quality of the oline is more important.

Running backs are overrated. Although some are better than others the quality of the oline is more important.

Not sure about this. I think both are 50/50 when it comes to the running game.

When you see the difference between Maroney and BenJarvus, then you can't say it's the OL. The OL is half of the equation.

Get a veteran RB than can spell Benny.

Draft Noel Devine as another gamebreaker/Woodhead/Faulk role. That guy is a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back