PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Tyler Gaffney released

Status
Not open for further replies.
And all that internet furor over us signing him by Panthers fans ends up being even more meaningless than normal internet furor, if such a thing is possible.

Kind of reminds one of the Jake Ballard situation. A lot of hype and controversy that amounted to absolutely nothing.

I'm still picking up the pieces from Terdell Sands release.

Wow . . . there's a name I haven't heard in awhile. Nice one.

Seriously, though, 2 season-long IR stints is the kiss of death for most NFL players. Mark Rypien is one of the most successful examples of all time, but that was awhile ago. In recent years, who is the most successful NFL player who rebounded from that? Sean Spence? I can't think of anyone other than him who had even a mediocre NFL career.

So, for now, we have Lewis, Brown, Bolden, White and Develin.

I'm sure that some folks think that we can simply draft a RB in the 4th and 6th and dump a couple of these.

Yes. I am one of those people.

There is little chance that Belichick won't take a shot or two at the position of RB, and guys like Brown, Devlin, White, and even Bolden aren't exactly locks to make this team.

Always remember the good times. Gaffney was a solid player.
2004051187-300x0.jpg

I'd be fine with having him on the team right now, and it's almost 10 yrs later.

Perhaps Brown passed a physical and Gaffney didn't.

So, for now, we have Lewis, Brown, Bolden, White and Develin.

I'm sure that some folks think that we can simply draft a RB in the 4th and 6th and dump a couple of these.

Nope, but if they use a second and a third they definitely can.

Wow . . . there's a name I haven't heard in awhile. Nice one.

Seriously, though, 2 season-long IR stints is the kiss of death for most NFL players. Mark Rypien is one of the most successful examples of all time, but that was awhile ago. In recent years, who is the most successful NFL player who rebounded from that? Sean Spence? I can't think of anyone other than him who had even a mediocre NFL career.
Maybe
Mike Sherrard ?

There is little chance that Belichick won't take a shot or two at the position of RB, and guys like Brown, Devlin, White, and even Bolden aren't exactly locks to make this team.

Develin's a FB, so his role doesn't duplicate anyone else's.

FFS bollox bollox bollox

Had high hopes he would be the Tom Brady of RBs.. yes I know that wouldn't happen

Draft it is..

I didn't even know he was white... Initial acquisition makes more sense now. :D

Develin's a FB, so his role doesn't duplicate anyone else's.

Agreed, although he should still be included in the depth chart for the position, and that depth chart isn't exactly setting the world on fire at the moment.

I don't think that a 4th and 6th is sufficient if we are looking for 2016 production. As we all seem to agree, we start with Lewis and Bolden. Two more RB's will make the 53. I don't think that those two will be a 4th and a 6th. I'm not saying that a 6th or UDFA can't be developed. We need 2016 production.

If we want to depend on draft production, I would think that we would need to do what we once did, a 2nd and 3rd, or at minimum a 2nd and a 4th.

Iosefa time? Ha

I don't think that a 4th and 6th is sufficient if we are looking for 2016 production. As we all seem to agree, we start with Lewis and Bolden. Two more RB's will make the 53. I don't think that those two will be a 4th and a 6th. I'm not saying that a 6th or UDFA can't be developed. We need 2016 production.

If we want to depend on draft production, I would think that we would need to do what we once did, a 2nd and 3rd, or at minimum a 2nd and a 4th.

I'm all with you in terms of selecting a RB in the top 3 rounds, but I'm also prepared for a mid/late rounder just the same. We may see both. At least one should definitely make the squad, assuming that Blount is coming back (there's been some recent suggestion).

1) See injured players return to health from last year (Lewis/Blount). The combo of a young and porous OL + the two losses to injury was devastating. Hopefully, we don't see that line up again.

2) Improve the depth behind them (Brown has got to be an improvement over White, at least in terms of a pure rushing back).

3) Bring in some youth via the draft.

Is it a fool proof system and everything that we wanted at the position of RB? Of course not, but it's got to be close to what we all expected.

I'd be fine with having him on the team right now, and it's almost 10 yrs later.

This was meant to be tongue in cheek, @Wax Frog, although I've got to admit that I'd still give him consideration over guys like Dobson and Harper. ;)

I'm guessing that Belichick feels that enough resources have been spent on guys who can catch the ball when you include the signing of TE Bennett, and an assumed draft pick at WR to replace Dobson's permanent "developmental" role.

This was meant to be tongue in cheek, @Wax Frog, although I've got to admit that I'd still give him consideration over guys like Dobson and Harper. ;)

I know, but I also sense you miss him the way I do. I remember constantly doing a double take at that almost-TE-like wide body.

an assumed draft pick at WR to replace Dobson's permanent "developmental" role.

"OOH, again, Billy! Hurt me, Billy! Harder, HARDER!" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back