PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe BB and Josh fed White the same way they fed Boyce....to see if they can get the job done. IMO neither did. Not one NFL team will respect the run when White is in the backfield. On the other hand...Bolden has proven he can run when called upon with 4.9 YPC in 2012 and 2013 with a total of 139 attempts and 634 yards rushing from 2012-2014.

He also has 25 receptions. On the other hand White has a total of 38 yards rushing and 5 receptions in his career. I see this as very similar to Boyce vs Gibson at WR. Boyce has done nothing in the NFL to prove himself while Gibson has 2711 yards receiving. Its not even a debate. Bolden is superior in every facet of the game: Special Teams, blocking, rushing, receiving.

Bolden
http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonbolden/2532797/careerstats
Rushing-yds Receiving-yds
634 171

White
http://www.nfl.com/player/jameswhite/2543773/careerstats
Rushing-yds Receiving-yds
38 23

White is still a work in progress....Bolden is not IMO.

ADDENDUM
"Bolden has been the main man for Tom Brady as the pass catching/blocking back during the past three practices" http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._has_emerged_as_leader_for_shane_vereens_role .

No one is suggesting cutting Bolden. Do you think that White is good enough to be the backup 3rd down back?

No one is suggesting cutting Bolden. Do you think that White is good enough to be the backup 3rd down back?

If they could find a STer who is as good as Bolden, I'd have zero problems cutting him.

He's Slater though. He's going to be here, and piss people off because he's still here.

I didn't see anyone suggest Bolden be cut either...agreed. I think White is good enough to be a back up to Bolden. Who was Vereen's backup last year...maybe Bolden...with 28 rushing attempts? Yeah...I'm ok with White getting 16.

I happen to believe Bolden can run the rock better then Vereen.

I didn't see anyone suggest Bolden be cut either...agreed. I think White is good enough to be a back up to Bolden. Who was Vereen's backup last year...maybe Bolden...with 28 rushing attempts? Yeah...I'm ok with White getting 16.

I happen to believe Bolden can run the rock better then Vereen.

You can run the rock better than Vereen.

Pretty good run-down, but I do have an exception/addendum or two: Bolden is more than a mediocre special teamer... he's up there with Ebner for 2nd best STer behind Slater, and he contributes more in another phase of the game than the other two. As long as he doesn't fumble the ball, he's doing his job as a RB. He's proved to be a Belichick favorite.
We're going to disagree here. Bolden led the team with penalties on Special teams last year and it was a miracle that one of his penalties didn't lead to points against the Pats..

We're going to disagree here. Bolden led the team with penalties on Special teams last year and it was a miracle that one of his penalties didn't lead to points against the Pats..
Bolden's a half-notch below Slater on special teams. He's one of the best in the league.

Bolden's a half-notch below Slater on special teams. He's one of the best in the league.

No. He's not. Unless you call taking stupid penalties to be a good thing..

No. He's not. Unless you call taking stupid penalties to be a good thing..

He certainly didn't sign a second contract here for his awesome running back skills. Trust me, Bolden is an elite STer.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2015/08/11/bill-belichick-press-conference-transcript-811

Q:
Do you see an expanded role for Brandon Bolden and how has he looked in camp?

BB: I think everybody’s role is really up to them. It’s not for me to define anybody’s role – that’s what the players do based on their performance, how they play, what they’re able to accomplish out there. If we see a guy doing something well then we want to use that. If we see another player doing it then we’ll use the other player. Brandon has gotten better each year. He’s got a very good skill set, too. He’s got good size and power to run on early downs, he’s got good hands, he’s a good pass protector, he can play on third down, obviously plays in the kicking game. He’s made a lot of big plays for us there, so he’s got a lot of versatility and lot of value, too, which is always good for your football team. How all that will play out – what his role will be – we’ll just have to see, and obviously a lot of that’s up to him.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...brandon_bolden_is_bill_belichicks_kind_of_guy

“He plays on all four downs. He’s a good early-down back, he’s a good third-down back, and he’s a good fourth-down back,” Belichick said today of Bolden. “He’s one of our best special teams players, certainly one of our best offensive special teams players — along with (Matthew) Slater. So, yeah, he’s a very valuable guy, fills a lot of roles, smart, doesn’t need a lot of reps, and he’s got a lot of experience.”

LeGarrette Blount resumes work in 11-on-11 drills after knee scare

Blount has earned the top job on the ground this season, but he is hoping to earn more time in passing downs, too. So far in camp, he only has a pair of catches from Tom Brady in team drills, but it’s possible his usage increases now that he’s healthy again.

“I feel good,” Blount said. “I’ve improved on catching the football. I’ve improved on a lot of things as far as other than just being a power running back. I want a chance to showcase that.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...nt_resumes_work_in_11_on_11_drills_after_knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST