PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, The RB situation is starting to reveal itself. Tyler Gaffney is headed to the IR again.

Blount - The go to starter. However, he's suspended for the first game against the Steelers
Bolden - Until now, he's been a mediocre special teams player who has filled in when Vereen was injured. Supposedly has the inside track as the 3rd down back.
Jonas Gray - Will be the primary back-up.
Travaris Cadet - Was supposed to battle for the 3rd down back spot..
James White - Was supposed to battle for the 3rd down back spot.
Tony Creecy - late signing.. He's 5'10 3/8 and 200 lbs. Another 3rd down back type??
Dion Lewis - 5'6 5/8, 195 lbs. He's TINY. But supposedly a good kick returner. Not sure how he's been doing in camp.

This is an area for concern and to definitely watch during the game against the Packers.

Last edited:
BTW, Had the Steelers not waived/injured Cameron Stingily, I'd have suggested the Pats look at picking him up because I like what I saw during the HOF game.

The RBs are less than awe inspiring. But they'll get the job done... Gray and Blount will pound for tough yards. The passing attack will be the driving force.

(The first game is vs Pitt, NOT the Packers)

The RBs are less than awe inspiring. But they'll get the job done... Gray and Blount will pound for tough yards. The passing attack will be the driving force.

(The first game is vs Pitt, NOT the Packers)

Farn - There is a game tomorrow night. I understand it's a pre-season game, but it's still a game none the less. And it's against the Packers..

If others could chime in on what they've seen of the RBs in camp, that would be great.

Farn - There is a game tomorrow night. I understand it's a pre-season game, but it's still a game none the less. And it's against the Packers..

If others could chime in on what they've seen of the RBs in camp, that would be great.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe you.

So, The RB situation is starting to reveal itself. Tyler Gaffney is headed to the IR again.

Blount - The go to starter. However, he's suspended for the first game against the Packers.
Bolden - Until now, he's been a mediocre special teams player who has filled in when Vereen was injured. Supposedly has the inside track as the 3rd down back.
Tony Creecy - late signing.. He's 5'10 3/8 and 200 lbs. Another 3rd down back type??
Dion Lewis - 5'6 5/8, 195 lbs. He's TINY. But supposedly a good kick returner. Not sure how he's been doing in camp.

This is an area for concern and to definitely watch during the game against the Packers.

Just some opinionated comments...

Blount - Even playing only 15 games....he will have his most productive year because a) its a contract year b) he made an effort to lose some weight...which has been obvious in TC with his noticeable quickness. IMO Blount will be somewhere between 6-12 in term of production for starting Running Backs.

Bolden - I remember watching Ridley and Bolden in 2012 and thinking..."I don't care which of the 2 run the rock...both are getting it done". In 2012 and 2013 Bolden averaged 4.9 YPC with 111 total carries. He is the best blocker out of the potential 3rd down back group "Bolden has been the main man for Tom Brady as the pass catching/blocking back during the past three practices" http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._has_emerged_as_leader_for_shane_vereens_role . He has 10 or more receptions so far in TC.

Gray - Will be the Primary back up

White - Will be the back up 3rd down back behind Bolden. He will see more carries this year and will take over the spot eventually. He is getting a lot of receptions this training camp. He shines when the pads aren't on...he needs to prove he can do the same in actual games.

Develin - A lock at Fullback

Just some opinionated comments...
Develin - A lock at Fullback

Please note that I didn't talk about Develin for a reason. Because I felt it was a given he was a lock. The only reason they brought Kettani back was to give Develin a break during TC.

I think our 3rd down back is not yet on the team but will be very soon ...

Bolden will do the job for now and Cadet will get some chances ... stay tuned.

If Chandler .... Edelman and Amendola stay healthy it's not a great need but nice to have.

Please note that I didn't talk about Develin for a reason. Because I felt it was a given he was a lock. The only reason they brought Kettani back was to give Develin a break during TC.

Noted...my bad

Re-read your original post. You state Blount is suspended for the Packers game.

Blount - The go to starter. However, he's suspended for the first game against the Packers.

I think that you are undervaluing Bolden. Do not be surprised if Bolden proves to be the Edelman version of a RB. He has contributed on ST and as a reserve for years but with Ridley and Vereen he never had the reps. I predict that Bolden will have 1200 total yards this season and play the most snaps of any RB.

Bolden will do the job for now and Cadet will get some chances ... stay tuned.

If Chandler .... Edelman and Amendola stay healthy it's not a great need but nice to have.
The greatest indication of how much talent we have offensively is that Brandon LaFell has become a forgotten man after having almost 1000 yards in his first season here.

The greatest indication of how much talent we have offensively is that Brandon LaFell has become a forgotten man after having almost 1000 yards in his first season here.

That and the fact that our Danny is killing it this camp...:D

That and the fact that our Danny is killing it this camp...:D
It's going to be a good season for Amendola this year. Momentum is a great thing for any player and he has it. That is the same reason I'm as high on Butler as I am, I think the game is a lot more mental than people think.

Amendola goes home to Kat from quick slants so he is winning either way.

I'm a fan of Lewis, but if he's hurt, he won't get a chance because of his size. Kills me to see White get it by default and though i'm all for bolden getting snaps in different roles, I'm dying for a real crazy, elusive 3rd down back. Kills me because it's one of those positions where you can get a UDFA with some guts because there's lots of small quick guys who might do the job given the chance. It's the opposite of finding a 300 lb+ DT at a cheap price.

Maybe there's one working at Popeye's as we speak.

I'm a fan of Lewis, but if he's hurt, he won't get a chance because of his size. Kills me to see White get it by default and though i'm all for bolden getting snaps in different roles, I'm dying for a real crazy, elusive 3rd down back. Kills me because it's one of those positions where you can get a UDFA with some guts because there's lots of small quick guys who might do the job given the chance. It's the opposite of finding a 300 lb+ DT at a cheap price.

Maybe there's one working at Popeye's as we speak.
Perhaps we go to a different well Chick-Fil-a or Kentucky Fried.
Amazing how many of our greatest Patriots were later round to UDFA players.

You're both wrong - our next third down back is currently employed at a Bojangles

Perhaps we go to a different well Chick-Fil-a or Kentucky Fried.
Amazing how many of our greatest Patriots were later round to UDFA players.

Well, if you're going to score on offense with a UDFA, slot receivers and 3rd down backs seem to be the players. Just so many players that size that kill in college, then get overlooked in the pros, unless they're Maurice Jones Drew.

Vereen cost a two, but i bet you'll find lots of low or undrafter 3rd down back types just like slot receivers. We traded for two proven ones, but Edelman in the 7th was the only draftee out of the Welker Amendola group. White seems to have no spark which is fine if you're 350 lbs and working into DT shape, but not at a position with literally dozens of guys that size who excelled in college.

Act like you want it White, that's all I ask.

Blount, Gray, Bolden, White, Develin

I think that White will be given another year to develop. The open question is whether we keep Cadet, add a RB or use the roster spot somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST