PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rb 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd offer up that he weighed about 150 as a rookie. Maybe he's up to 165 now, at best? He's not a guy I'd trust carrying the ball.

I like White, but he's a quarterback. A raw quarterback that needs some fundamental work, but still a quarterback. Look how long it's taken Vince Young to get some fundamentals down. The good part is that White doesn't seem to think he knows everything, so he's probably willing to listen to the coaching that Young resisted for 3 years.

He's just shy of 200lbs.

Oh yeah, based on what, exactly? Have you compared footage of White throwing v. Edelman throwing? What about blocking?

Okay. Ya got me. I don't know that Edelman throws better than White. It's probably the least important qualification for a 3rd down, Faulk-type back.

We've seen Edelman block a lot, and aggressively, including a solid stone on Weatherspoon in the ATL game. He's so fearless, there's almost a concern that he might hurt himself. And we already know what a great receiver he is (something we DON'T know about White).

Your point, if I interpreted it correctly, was that White may develop to be just as good as Edelman, so what can it hurt to have two guys like that in the RBBC (citing the age/slowness/fragility of a couple of the other guys).

My counterpoint is that we need to reduce the RBBC to four guys, including three DURABLE between the tackles guys. Adding a second, a less developed version of something we already have in Edelman would require us to either keep the unit at five guys or go with one less durable between the tackles guy and I don't like either of those options.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far is that the Pats will have two RB's probably coming off Reserve/Military list for 2011 after serving their 2 years.

Both are from Navy
Eric Kettani 5'11" 235lbs had 1862yds and 14 TD's in 2007/2008 combined
Shun White 5'8" 195lbs had 1712yds and 15 TD's and 210yds (only 12 Rec) and 2 TD's Receiving in 2007/2008 combined

Both were Undrafted FA from 2009 and went to training camp that year before shipping out. Granted they will need to get up to speed and will have as much a shot as making the team as any other FA but at least the cupboard isn't completely bare if we lose all 5 RB's from this year.

On a side note
I think if Thomas Clayton doesn't make the roster (Highly Likely) he gets claimed by San Fran off of waivers because he's been there before and is a known quantity.

Last edited:
He's just shy of 200lbs.

I stand corrected. In my draft archives I have him listed at 197. I seem to remember him playing at much, much less at WVU.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far is that the Pats will have two RB's probably coming off Reserve/Military list for 2011 after serving their 2 years.

Both are from Navy
Eric Kettani 5'11" 235lbs had 1862yds and 14 TD's in 2007/2008 combined
Shun White 5'8" 195lbs had 1712yds and 15 TD's and 210yds (only 12 Rec) and 2 TD's Receiving in 2007/2008 combined

Both were Undrafted FA from 2009 and went to training camp that year before shipping out. Granted they will need to get up to speed and will have as much a shot as making the team as any other FA but at least the cupboard isn't completely bare if we lose all 5 RB's from this year.

On a side note
I think if Thomas Clayton doesn't make the roster (Highly Likely) he gets claimed by San Fran off of waivers because he's been there before and is a known quantity.

Good points. Interesting that my draft archives show that analysts had Kettani being projected as a FB and White projected as a KR when it seems like they both had considerable chops for running the ball.

I will keep an eye on this guy YouTube - Super Mario Fannin vs West Virginia

Fannin has pretty impressive size (5-11, 228), good speed and he is an experienced receiver out of the backfield. He played as an H-Back for the Auburn Tigers last year and was their third leading receiver. He backed up Ben Tate (2nd round pick in 2010) in 2007 and 2008 and will get the chance to start this year. His position coach has predicted that Fannin will be a 1,000-yard rusher as long as he stays healthy.

Wes Bunting from NFPost.com writes about Fannin:

Impression: Possesses a really gifted skill set. Is powerful, runs hard and displays good footwork and shiftiness to his game for a back his size. Now, he will be asked to run more so between the tackles this season and if he can quickly adjust, I think he certainly has the makings of becoming one of if not the top senior running back to come off the board come April.

2010 NFP Scouting Series: Auburn

And at last we come full circle: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/347958-rb-2011-a.html#post1851883

I will keep an eye on this guy YouTube - Super Mario Fannin vs West Virginia

Fannin has pretty impressive size (5-11, 228), good speed and he is an experienced receiver out of the backfield. He played as an H-Back for the Auburn Tigers last year and was their third leading receiver. He backed up Ben Tate (2nd round pick in 2010) in 2007 and 2008 and will get the chance to start this year. His position coach has predicted that Fannin will be a 1,000-yard rusher as long as he stays healthy.

Wes Bunting from NFPost.com writes about Fannin:

2010 NFP Scouting Series: Auburn

Okay. Ya got me. I don't know that Edelman throws better than White. It's probably the least important qualification for a 3rd down, Faulk-type back.

We've seen Edelman block a lot, and aggressively, including a solid stone on Weatherspoon in the ATL game. He's so fearless, there's almost a concern that he might hurt himself. And we already know what a great receiver he is (something we DON'T know about White).

Your point, if I interpreted it correctly, was that White may develop to be just as good as Edelman, so what can it hurt to have two guys like that in the RBBC (citing the age/slowness/fragility of a couple of the other guys).

My counterpoint is that we need to reduce the RBBC to four guys, including three DURABLE between the tackles guys. Adding a second, a less developed version of something we already have in Edelman would require us to either keep the unit at five guys or go with one less durable between the tackles guy and I don't like either of those options.

I agree on your idea for the RBBC, I’d definitely prefer 3 main backs and a nasty fullback, I’d be more than happy to have something like the Giants had with their Earth, Wind, and Fire model. My idea for White is more as the icing on the cake, I’d like him primarily as a receiver/KR that can also run the ball occasionally and be effective throwing the ball in trick plays. We’ve used Branch and other guys who would not be full-time RB material to run the ball in games before, that’s not their primary function but it has been effective when done right.

I'm loving Dion Lewis and Jacquizz Rodgers. I also like Jeff Demps as a 3rd-4th round prospect and Donald Buckram as a late round prospect.

It's really hard imaging these little guys holding up physically in the NFL.

MJD and Ray Rice should prove this false, hopefully. Jacquizz could be too small though.

It's really hard imaging these little guys holding up physically in the NFL.

Lewis is young enough to add some good bulk over a year or two. As for Rodgers...well...I guess his best chance is to be an elite returner.

Lewis is young enough to add some good bulk over a year or two. As for Rodgers...well...I guess his best chance is to be an elite returner.

Rodgers is 5'7 195, that's nothing to sneeze at considering that DeSean Jackson is 5'10 175, Rodgers might not be a full-time back, might need to be a KR/WR/RB to lessen the beating he'll take but I think he'll do ok.

i 100% agree. hes perfect.

As much as I love Ingram I don't think he'd be worth the price we'd likely have to pay with a pick considering our other needs.

Well, a RB will 100% be drafted with Maroney gone. :D

BJGE will be kept as the backup, probably the only back to be resigned.

What about Kendall Hunter?? I did not go through all of the posts to see if he was mentioned. He is 5'8 and quick, good hands, and pretty good vision.

I think this team needs a quick-agile guy with speed. Taylor is quicker than Morris, Maroney and Law firm and he can seem to make things happen where the others do not.

Eric Kettani & Shun White

Well, a RB will 100% be drafted with Maroney gone. :D

BJGE will be kept as the backup, probably the only back to be resigned.

We'll have to see what the new CBA says. There might be a lot of guys hitting free agency. I think the Cowboys will either have to let Barber or Choice go, and I seem to remember Belichick liking them both out of college.

Eric Kettani & Shun White

:cool:

I like White to take over Faulk's role, honestly. He's quick, shifty, disciplined, and can catch the ball well. We'll see how he does in pass pro. Kettani I'm not as sold on, but I'm excited to see what White can do when he finishes his service to his country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back