PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rb 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like too throw in Pitt RB Dion Lewis into this discussion. He is eligible to declare for the draft next year, and this kid is as explosive and dynamic as any other back in this draft if not more so. Granted he's 5"8 195, but everyone thought MJD was too small as well.

When did he redshirt? I thought he started as a true freshman last year. Wouldn't that make him ineligible for the 2011 NFL Draft since he would only be a true sophomore?

When did he redshirt? I thought he started as a true freshman last year. Wouldn't that make him ineligible for the 2011 NFL Draft since he would only be a true sophomore?

I'm not sure what the circumstances were, but I live in Pa., and heard the all sports radio guys talking about him, and that he could declare after this year. I want to say he played a year in community college, but I'm not sure.

You might be right Defsoul. I've looked everywhere, and all I can find is that he was indeed a true freshman last year. It wouldn't be the first time the morons on Pittsburgh talk radio were wrong, but I distinctly remember them saying that he was the required amount of years removed from high school to enter the '11 draft. Oh well. What could have been I guess.

Last edited:
You might be right Defsoul. I've looked everywhere, and all I can find is that he was indeed a true freshman last year. It wouldn't be the first time the morons on Pittsburgh talk radio were wrong, but I distinctly remember them saying that he was the required amount of years removed from high school to enter the '11 draft. Oh well. What could have been I guess.

The rule is 3 years past HS.

OK, so I did in fact find clarification that Dion Lewis IS in fact draft eligible next year because he spent an extra 1/2 year at prep school. I found the info on espn blog big east. The writer goes on too say he confirmed this with Pitt officials as well. Yep, I'll take Dion if he does declare.

OK, so I did in fact find clarification that Dion Lewis IS in fact draft eligible next year because he spent an extra 1/2 year at prep school. I found the info on espn blog big east. The writer goes on too say he confirmed this with Pitt officials as well. Yep, I'll take Dion if he does declare.

If he declares, he instantly becomes the best RB in the draft.

You think so? While the senior class doesn't look very strong to me (the only prospects I like are Daniel Thomas and Allen Bradford), there are many interesting underclassmen like Mark Ingram, Ryan Williams, Jacquizz Rodgers, Shane Vereen or John Clay.

A lot of college OL's are running zone blocking schemes. Some schools, like Houston, have schemes almost identical to ours, and some like Alabama, are fairly close to ours.

Finding a RB with success running behind a zone blocking OL, you would think that would appeal to BB, I do not think so.

I think that when looking at RB's, the thing BB values most is ball security. That is why I think Ingram, even though he not the fastest guy at the position, has got to be in the mix for consideration. I think Ingram has lost one or two funbles in his whole career thus far.

I am with you on that.

I used to be in the Ingram camp, but after watching Lewis last year I could easily see him surpassing Ingram as the best back in the country this year.

People around here firmly believe he will declare next year if he has a quality season, and I see no reason why he couldn't be even better than last year barring injury. The guy has a motor, and is rediculously tough to bring down. He'd look great in a Pats uniform.

I am with you on that.

I used to be in the Ingram camp, but after watching Lewis last year I could easily see him surpassing Ingram as the best back in the country this year.

I think Ingram is very, very good.

I'm not sure Richardson isn't better.

I think Ingram is very, very good.

I'm not sure Richardson isn't better.

Yeah, Ingram has already said that Richardson is better than he was at that point in his career. Pretty high praise from a heisman winning RB.

Personally, I think Maroney is resigned. He's not the back that we all wanted, but he's a solid committee member and is the only RB on our roster with talent and youth. Yes, that was a shot at Green-Ellis. When he can get regular carries without three injuries first, I'll recognize him as a useful RB in the future.

Maroney plus a rookie or two should be fine.

If Maroney is resigned, I'll mail you $100.

Green-Ellis is an UDFA entering his 3rd year. I want him to get carries, I doubt it will happen though.

I think Royster has the best vision of all draft eligible RB's. He is not the fastest, but he runs with power and always falls forward.

I found some good clips of him on youtube, but do not have the amount of posts needed to paste it.

I think Royster has the best vision of all draft eligible RB's. He is not the fastest, but he runs with power and always falls forward.

I found some good clips of him on youtube, but do not have the amount of posts needed to paste it.

PM the link, and I'll post it for you. :)

Penn State was talking about using Royster in the slot last year. They have 2 other pretty good backs but they weren't healthy. S.Green and B.Beachum. So, it didn't really happen the way it was supposed to. If they use him like that this year, it would give NFL teams a better look at his receiving abilities. Interesting prospect. I see him more as a 2nd or 3rd rb in the NFL.

i hope we do draft a running back and not traded for 9000 drafts

The RBBC thing seems to be working well for the Pats, so I really don't think that the Pats will be in the market for a feature back, even next year. I seriously doubt they spend the early first round pick on one - even Ingram. I think they may well draft TWO RBs in 2011, but nobody earlier than late first round or even late 2nd, and then maybe another in the 3rd, 4th, 5th.

I'm thinking along the lines of DeMarco Murray and maybe the kid from Pitt, Dion Lewis.

I'm thinking along the lines of DeMarco Murray and maybe the kid from Pitt, Dion Lewis.

I don't know how the draft will play out, but those guys are 1st round talents, should be gone by round 2 along with Ingram.

I expect a premium pick ot be spent on a RB . th elikely o eis th e2nd First or a 2nd.

But I think the question of the next Faulk is already roiling around in BB's brain. It is Julian Edelman. He rushed for almost 4000 yards in college and averaged 85 ypg rushing. Plus he throws the football, something that Kevin doesn't do.

We all know how good JE is in the passing game, too.

All he needs is a course in the same tough Blitz pickup blocking instruction that BB & his coaches gave to Kevin back when...

I don't know how the draft will play out, but those guys are 1st round talents, should be gone by round 2 along with Ingram.

Agree on the evaluation, but Lewis isn't on many top ten lists. Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back