PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rb 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Maroney is resigned, I'll mail you $100.

Green-Ellis is an UDFA entering his 3rd year. I want him to get carries, I doubt it will happen though.

Green-Ellis has looked decent in pre-season now three years in a row. But, again, last season, even with Morris and Taylor losing games to injury and Maroney looking his typical non-stellar self, if Green-Ellis had more to offer than being just a last resort body, you'd think he'd have gotten more than, what, 38 carries?

Yeah, I doubt they keep Maroney unless he's willing to work for the vet minimum. Even then. My bet is that Pioli snatches him up the first day of FA.

I'm thinking that Maroney and Green-Ellis are allowed to walk. Morris, Taylor and Faulk are all offered non-insulting one-year deals (even though they might not make the team). Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of good FA RBs available next year (who aren't likely to be re-signed), I'm guessing they DO fill the position through the draft.

I expect a premium pick ot be spent on a RB . th elikely o eis th e2nd First or a 2nd.

But I think the question of the next Faulk is already roiling around in BB's brain. It is Julian Edelman. He rushed for almost 4000 yards in college and averaged 85 ypg rushing. Plus he throws the football, something that Kevin doesn't do.

We all know how good JE is in the passing game, too.

All he needs is a course in the same tough Blitz pickup blocking instruction that BB & his coaches gave to Kevin back when...

Wouldn't you kinda think that a former QB would be a natural at blitz pickup? Actually throwing his body in some guy's way might take awhile to get used to, but still.

Steven Jackson would be a great pick-up in free agency next year. Imagine him with our line instead of the Rams'. Too bad it's just a pipe dream.

Steven Jackson would be a great pick-up in free agency next year. Imagine him with our line instead of the Rams'. Too bad it's just a pipe dream.

Jackson is signed with the Rams through 2014, so not a FA for quite awhile.

I really don't think the Pats will be looking for a feature back, especially not in FA, but for a role player in the RBBC. With that underlying assumption, here are the 2011 RB Free Agents and the chance that the Pats would be interested (if the guy is available, and most won't be):

DeAngelo Williams CAR Too Expensive if not re-signed.
Jamaal Charles KC Re-signs
Cedric Benson CIN Too Expensive if not re-signed.
Jerome Harrison CLE Re-signs
Michael Bush OAK Re-signs
Darren Sproles SD Too Expensive.
Joseph Addai IND POSSIBLY.
Ronnie Brown MIA POSSIBLY.
Ricky Williams MIA Re-signs
LeRon McLain BAL Not our type (FB with attitude problem).
Tim Hightower ARZ Re-signs
Jerious Norwood ATL Re-signs
Kevin Smith DET POSSIBLY
Ahmad Bradshaw NYG Re-signs
Mike Bell PHL Meh.
Mewelde Moore PIT Meh.
Mike Tolbert SD Meh.
Leon Washington SEA Re-signs
Kenneth Darby STL Meh.
Clifton Smith TB Not our type (KR).
Willie Parker WAS He's done.

Green-Ellis has looked decent in pre-season now three years in a row. But, again, last season, even with Morris and Taylor losing games to injury and Maroney looking his typical non-stellar self, if Green-Ellis had more to offer than being just a last resort body, you'd think he'd have gotten more than, what, 38 carries?

Yeah, I doubt they keep Maroney unless he's willing to work for the vet minimum. Even then. My bet is that Pioli snatches him up the first day of FA.

I'm thinking that Maroney and Green-Ellis are allowed to walk. Morris, Taylor and Faulk are all offered non-insulting one-year deals (even though they might not make the team). Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of good FA RBs available next year (who aren't likely to be re-signed), I'm guessing they DO fill the position through the draft.

I'd rather see Thomas Clayton make the team than Law Firm. His upside is higher, and I think he's a much more aggressive runner. Good ST guy also.

Agree on the evaluation, but Lewis isn't on many top ten lists. Yet.

I think that's because most draft analysts don't realize he's eligible.

I don't know why the team wouldn't make a move to re-sign Maroney.

If they're looking at RBBC in the years moving forward, it would make a lot of sense.

I think that's because most draft analysts don't realize he's eligible.

Probably true. Amazes me how folks on this board are often ahead of the guys being paid for this.

I don't know why the team wouldn't make a move to re-sign Maroney.

If they're looking at RBBC in the years moving forward, it would make a lot of sense.

Sure. Unless (A) he asks for too much money, or (B) the Pats think they can easily backfill with someone better. If they don't re-sign him before FA opens next year, I'll optimistically assume (B).

Throw Pat White into the RBBC. He's a very good runner as is, and with a few pounds he'd be a multi-purpose threat.

Throw Pat White into the RBBC. He's a very good runner as is, and with a few pounds he'd be a multi-purpose threat.

Edelman probably throws better and I'd bet he blocks better.

Mark Ingram, people! Coaching counts... direct from Saban to Belichick. The kid has great hands and a great attitude, too.

Mark Ingram, people! Coaching counts... direct from Saban to Belichick. The kid has great hands and a great attitude, too.

Belichick probably has a relationship with his Dad from his Giants days, but I still don't think that given the needs of this team along the DL and potentially OL and OLB (again) that Belichick values a RB enough to use a first round pick on one.

Perhaps, but so what, why settle for 1 when you can have 2? Our RBBC is pretty thin and relatively old, I don't see the downside to adding another multi-purpose threat.

I don't think Pat White could ever make the switch and play runningback in the NFL. He has the body of a wide receiver, not a running back. Did you see him get lit up against the Steelers last season? That would probably happen quite often. And he probably wouldn't want to make the switch either since he stated in the past that he wants to play quarterback (and rather play baseball if he couldn't play qb).

Last edited:
I don't think Pat White could ever make the switch and play runningback in the NFL. He has the body of a wide receiver, not a running back. Did you see him get lit up against the Steelers last season? That would probably happen quite often. And he probably wouldn't want to make the switch either since he stated in the past that he wants to play quarterback (and rather play baseball if he couldn't play qb).

That was a unique hit, he was stumpling forward and got blasted at the perfect moment, you rarely see a hit like that and such a hit would do a number on most players. Anyway, I don't want him as a pure RB but rather a slash player that would sometimes run with the ball, but it's all moot if he's intent on playing Basketball because it doesn't look like he'll be employed as a QB much longer.

Perhaps, but so what, why settle for 1 when you can have 2? Our RBBC is pretty thin and relatively old, I don't see the downside to adding another multi-purpose threat.

Well, we have 2 guys who are solid (6'1", 220+) accomplished, basic between-the-tackles pluggers who can bounce outside occasionally and also catch a little (Taylor and Morris). One of them can occasionally do the blocking back thing for the others on short yardage plays (Morris), but neither of them are stellar at pass protection. We also have a third, younger guy who could be like the first two if he'd be more decisive (Maroney). Then we have a 4th guy who's only like the first two during pre-season (BJGE). Finally, we have Faulk who is a superior pass-protector, very good pass-catcher and who can also run between the tackles fairly well on occasion (change of pace back and we really only need the one). That's five guys.

The reason it's five guys is that Taylor and Morris are old and fragile and miss games. Faulk is also old, but then he doesn't get the number of carries or abuse so any similar age-related fragility hasn't shown up. Maroney has also been injured a lot. BJGE is merely disaster insurance.

Probably better for us if we reduce it to four guys, 3 solid BTT guys (three because they take a lot of abuse regardless of age and need to be rotated like tires) and one CoP guy (Faulk or Edelman).

I don't see White as being a solid, accomplished BTT plugger, a blocking back, a great pass protector or accomplished pass catcher (like Faulk and Edelman). So, what does he have to offer the RBBC again? Other than taking up a roster spot to duplicate what we already have in higher quality, I mean.

Well, we have 2 guys who are solid (6'1", 220+) accomplished, basic between-the-tackles pluggers who can bounce outside occasionally and also catch a little (Taylor and Morris). One of them can occasionally do the blocking back thing for the others on short yardage plays (Morris), but neither of them are stellar at pass protection. We also have a third, younger guy who could be like the first two if he'd be more decisive (Maroney). Then we have a 4th guy who's only like the first two during pre-season (BJGE). Finally, we have Faulk who is a superior pass-protector, very good pass-catcher and who can also run between the tackles fairly well on occasion (change of pace back and we really only need the one). That's five guys.

The reason it's five guys is that Taylor and Morris are old and fragile and miss games. Faulk is also old, but then he doesn't get the number of carries or abuse so any similar age-related fragility hasn't shown up. Maroney has also been injured a lot. BJGE is merely disaster insurance.

Probably better for us if we reduce it to four guys, 3 solid BTT guys (three because they take a lot of abuse regardless of age and need to be rotated like tires) and one CoP guy (Faulk or Edelman).

I don't see White as being a solid, accomplished BTT plugger, a blocking back, a great pass protector or accomplished pass catcher (like Faulk and Edelman). So, what does he have to offer the RBBC again? Other than taking up a roster spot to duplicate what we already have in higher quality, I mean.

I've seen the guy do some nasty scrambling so I at least know he's got some potential as a RB but of course you'd need to work him out at that position to see what he can do.

So, aside from 'what you see' do you have any film of him to completely dismiss him as a RB?

Oh yeah, based on what, exactly? Have you compared footage of White throwing v. Edelman throwing? What about blocking?

I've seen the guy do some nasty scrambling so I at least know he's got some potential as a RB but of course you'd need to work him out at that position to see what he can do.

So, aside from 'what you see' do you have any film of him to completely dismiss him as a RB?

I'd offer up that he weighed about 150 as a rookie. Maybe he's up to 165 now, at best? He's not a guy I'd trust carrying the ball.

I like White, but he's a quarterback. A raw quarterback that needs some fundamental work, but still a quarterback. Look how long it's taken Vince Young to get some fundamentals down. The good part is that White doesn't seem to think he knows everything, so he's probably willing to listen to the coaching that Young resisted for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back