PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rb 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric Kettani & Shun White

If there's football in 2011, it seems odd to pin RB hopes on 2 guys who haven't played football in 2+ years, and weren't very highly regarded when they did.

If there's football in 2011, it seems odd to pin RB hopes on 2 guys who haven't played football in 2+ years, and weren't very highly regarded when they did.
Pin? No, but they are in the mix and their rights were retained by NE with some purpose in mind; analysis of the Maroney departure, Faulk, Morris, and Taylor contracts status, and the shift in blocking scheme on the O-line moves speculation past coincidence towards prior planning prevents p!ss poor performance level. Mice & men etc., but this is still a BB-led team so color me optimistic. :D

Sure, Ingram is going to be an early first round pick, but that's exactly why BB does things crazy like trading Drew Bledsoe to Buffalo and (in this case) Richard Seymour to Oakland. As long as Oakland continues to suck, and they adequately bad in Week 1, we should have a legit shot at Ingram without trading up. Why look elsewhere? What else are you hoping to find in a franchise RB?

Sure, Ingram is going to be an early first round pick, but that's exactly why BB does things crazy like trading Drew Bledsoe to Buffalo and (in this case) Richard Seymour to Oakland. As long as Oakland continues to suck, and they adequately bad in Week 1, we should have a legit shot at Ingram without trading up. Why look elsewhere? What else are you hoping to find in a franchise RB?

Do we need or even want a franchise RB? First off, we have other needs that I think are a much higher priority, OL and DL come to mind, so why do we want to spend our early picks on a franchise back when we can significantly improve our run game by beefing up the line?

Next, a franchise RB will cost a lot more money than the RBBC approach. If we can simply plug in 3-5rd backs and have the machine continue to work than why pick a back in the first round?

Do we need or even want a franchise RB? First off, we have other needs that I think are a much higher priority, OL and DL come to mind, so why do we want to spend our early picks on a franchise back when we can significantly improve our run game by beefing up the line?

Next, a franchise RB will cost a lot more money than the RBBC approach. If we can simply plug in 3-5rd backs and have the machine continue to work than why pick a back in the first round?

I agree, franchise RB's are expensive and have a relatively short shelf life.

As for Ingram, you have to remember two things. 1.) he is NOT a burner. and 2.) he was running behind a monster O-Line last season and was rarely touched in the backfield.

PS: South Carolina freshman Lattimore could be the best RB in college football by the end of the season.

I'll tell you what: I was worried about OL, but did you see the protection Brady was getting against Cinci? In any case, we have 2 firsts, 2 seconds, a third and a fourth. If we can find a guy like Vollmer in the 2nd, I'll take three more like him, and still have a pick for Ingram!!

For DL, thumbs up on Brace and his progress. Ty Warren returning from IR in 2011. Pryor and Wright look legit. We certainly could use the pick there, but we have a LOT of picks, even after the Oakland selection is by the boards.

How about this:

1a - RB Mark Ingram, our very own Corey Dillon, fresh from the tree
1b - OLB Von Miller, 240lbs rush end who looks like a natural 3-4 OLB
2a - DT Marcus Forston, 305lbs underclassman who looks like a beast
2b - OG Stefen Wisniewski, a mauler who can plug for Neal if/when he retires

See? You can have your cake and eat it, too :D

Oh, one more thought on "why do we even want a Franchise back?"... our RBBC is on the verge of mass retirement. If not 2011, then likely 2012. It's one thing to replace one guy in FA, but it will be hard to replace three of them with quality. We need to start the ball rolling.

Here's a strategy for the future.

Fred Taylor...........Fred Taylor..........Mark Ingram
Sammy Morris........Mark Ingram.........BJGE
BJGE....................BJGE...................UFA
Kevin Faulk...........Kevin Faulk..........a rookie sparkplug

Our best years were with Antowain Smith carrying 20 times a game, or Corey Dillon. BB doesn't have an aversion to having a lead back, if he's got a lead back to give the ball to. He sure didn't draft Moroney in the first round to split carries with three other guys.

I'll tell you what: I was worried about OL, but did you see the protection Brady was getting against Cinci? In any case, we have 2 firsts, 2 seconds, a third and a fourth. If we can find a guy like Vollmer in the 2nd, I'll take three more like him, and still have a pick for Ingram!!

For DL, thumbs up on Brace and his progress. Ty Warren returning from IR in 2011. Pryor and Wright look legit. We certainly could use the pick there, but we have a LOT of picks, even after the Oakland selection is by the boards.

How about this:

1a - RB Mark Ingram, our very own Corey Dillon, fresh from the tree
1b - OLB Von Miller, 240lbs rush end who looks like a natural 3-4 OLB
2a - DT Marcus Forston, 305lbs underclassman who looks like a beast
2b - OG Stefen Wisniewski, a mauler who can plug for Neal if/when he retires

See? You can have your cake and eat it, too :D

I think we need to go deeper with the O-line, Light is no spring chicken, Mankins might very well be gone, and Neil was on the verge of retirement, and I don't sleep well at night with Koppen. Given Brady's knee and the fact that he's getting older I think the O-line is even more important than before.

If we can pick up a SeaBass or 2 in the later rounds, great, but I don't think we should bet the franchise on it. I don't see how we couldn't have a damn good running game if we grabbed Allen Bradford and Da'rel Scott behind a beefed up line.

YouTube - USC RB #21 Allen Bradford Highlights 2009

YouTube - Da'Rel Scott RB Highlight Tape 2008 [Maryland]

I'm a broken record I guess but I like DeMarco Murray a lot. He catches very well out of the backfield. Makes people miss. Has a great burst and good breakaway speed. If he can be had in the 2nd round I'd be all over it, but I bet by the years end he works himself into the first.

I'd still rather have Linemen up top in the draft. Never the less here is my early binkie.

YouTube - DeMarco Murray 2007

I think we need to go deeper with the O-line, Light is no spring chicken, Mankins might very well be gone, and Neil was on the verge of retirement, and I don't sleep well at night with Koppen. Given Brady's knee and the fact that he's getting older I think the O-line is even more important than before.

If we can pick up a SeaBass or 2 in the later rounds, great, but I don't think we should bet the franchise on it. I don't see how we couldn't have a damn good running game if we grabbed Allen Bradford and Da'rel Scott behind a beefed up line.

YouTube - USC RB #21 Allen Bradford Highlights 2009

YouTube - Da'Rel Scott RB Highlight Tape 2008 [Maryland]

Bradford looks like a power inside runner, which is great; fast in a big big body. Looks a bit like Jerome Bettis. But can he contribute in the passing game? He looks like a cannonball. Lendale White. But, anyway, I cant get excited about players from USC. I think that program is tainted.

Scott is exciting, and I wont say no to him. He looks like a weapon in the passing game. Highlights are of him running away from the secondary, which wont be as easy in the NFL.

But Ingram runs through and over the secondary, lays a lick and bounces off contact. Most important, though, is the work ethic, attitude and coaching. Nick Saban has had this kid under his wing, and that means he'll have a complete pedigree: trained to pick up the blitz, will work do the film study, will devote himself to his job. The Moroney experience surely underlines how important a player's mindset and commitment is to his professional success. That's where Ingram is a sure thing. He fits the mental profile of this franchise.

And don't discount the fact that Nick and Bill are buddies.

You Tube - Ingram

In any case, you'll have to convince me that there's a top-10 OL-man that is that much better than what we'll get in the 2nd round. BB and Scarneccia have turned a lot of no-name players into high quality starters. Light and Vollmer were both 2nd rounders. Koppen was a 5th. Neal was UDFA. Connolly was UDFA. Why spend a top-10 pick at OL when you can pretty consistently land a pro-bowler in the 2nd?

Watch. BB is going to draft a WR with 1a, and spoil all our plans.

I'm a broken record I guess but I like DeMarco Murray a lot. He catches very well out of the backfield. Makes people miss. Has a great burst and good breakaway speed. If he can be had in the 2nd round I'd be all over it, but I bet by the years end he works himself into the first.

I'd still rather have Linemen up top in the draft. Never the less here is my early binkie.

YouTube - DeMarco Murray 2007

Looks explosive, very elusive. He has Shawn Crable chicken legs. Any injury history?

Looks explosive, very elusive. He has Shawn Crable chicken legs. Any injury history?

His injury is history is about as long as War and Peace. I've always followed OU even though live on east coast. Possible replacement for K.Faulk. Maybe, 3rd or 4th round. I wouldn't touch him in first two rounds.

Oh, one more thought on "why do we even want a Franchise back?"... our RBBC is on the verge of mass retirement. If not 2011, then likely 2012. It's one thing to replace one guy in FA, but it will be hard to replace three of them with quality. We need to start the ball rolling.

Here's a strategy for the future.

Fred Taylor...........Fred Taylor..........Mark Ingram
Sammy Morris........Mark Ingram.........BJGE
BJGE....................BJGE...................UFA
Kevin Faulk...........Kevin Faulk..........a rookie sparkplug

Our best years were with Antowain Smith carrying 20 times a game, or Corey Dillon. BB doesn't have an aversion to having a lead back, if he's got a lead back to give the ball to. He sure didn't draft Moroney in the first round to split carries with three other guys.

If we draft Ingram in the 1st, I'm not going to make him the backup, he's a RB. I'd prefer Ingram, BJGE, Faulk than 35 year old Taylor, Ingram, BJGE, Faulk.

Bradford looks like a power inside runner, which is great; fast in a big big body. Looks a bit like Jerome Bettis. But can he contribute in the passing game? He looks like a cannonball. Lendale White. But, anyway, I cant get excited about players from USC. I think that program is tainted.

Scott is exciting, and I wont say no to him. He looks like a weapon in the passing game. Highlights are of him running away from the secondary, which wont be as easy in the NFL.

But Ingram runs through and over the secondary, lays a lick and bounces off contact. Most important, though, is the work ethic, attitude and coaching. Nick Saban has had this kid under his wing, and that means he'll have a complete pedigree: trained to pick up the blitz, will work do the film study, will devote himself to his job. The Moroney experience surely underlines how important a player's mindset and commitment is to his professional success. That's where Ingram is a sure thing. He fits the mental profile of this franchise.

And don't discount the fact that Nick and Bill are buddies.

You Tube - Ingram

In any case, you'll have to convince me that there's a top-10 OL-man that is that much better than what we'll get in the 2nd round. BB and Scarneccia have turned a lot of no-name players into high quality starters. Light and Vollmer were both 2nd rounders. Koppen was a 5th. Neal was UDFA. Connolly was UDFA. Why spend a top-10 pick at OL when you can pretty consistently land a pro-bowler in the 2nd?

Watch. BB is going to draft a WR with 1a, and spoil all our plans.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and I want him, it just comes down to maximizing value. IF Dante and BB can get solid O-line raw material that they can coach up in the later rounds then I'm open to Ingram, and I wouldn't be shocked to see us take him in the 1st or 2nd round.

While the legitimate point was brought up that RBs tend to break down much quicker than other positions I think it's worth noting that BB mmight very well not want to still be coaching by the time Ingram is falling apart.

Which players are available through Free Agency will also play a big part in this, exciting stuff.

I live in Norman so I follow the Sooners really closely.

He has bulked up from that video, although he still is somewhat lean. Built like Adrian Peterson (but not as aggressive play style).

He, for sure, has had some injury's. Mainly he had a knee cap dislocated a couple years back, but it seems to not have bothered him after recovery. He battled a pulled hammy one year and an ankle injury. None of them are super serious, and for all the injury talk... Adrian Peterson scared some people off because he was "injury prone" too. Murry is a hell of a player. I wouldn't be scared to draft in round 2, but I'd still rather have big men in the first round.

what is the other RB from alabams's expected draft ranking? he looked great week one

If we draft Ingram in the 1st, I'm not going to make him the backup, he's a RB. I'd prefer Ingram, BJGE, Faulk than 35 year old Taylor, Ingram, BJGE, Faulk.

Hey, let em duke it out. Competition is good for the team. If Ingram can learn a few things from the wiley old veteran, BB can afford to bring him on slowly. That's a luxury most teams can't fit under the cap. And if Ingram wins the job in a big way, Taylor will opt for retirement. There's no downside.

what is the other RB from alabams's expected draft ranking? he looked great week one

He's a beast but only a sophmore. I doubt he'll be available this coming draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes