PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RayLew on Sportscenter

Status
Not open for further replies.
zippo59 said:
I like to see the Patriots get a veteran LB, along with drafting one or two. I don't think Lewis is the answer, he's too much of a selfish player, and wants a heck of a lot of money.

Why do you guys think he is selfish? You don't never hear him talking about himself or placing himself above everyone else. Just because he dances a little when he scores a TD doesn't mean that he's selfish. True, he's energectic and tanacious, but he's also a team player. He's a leader. And there's a difference between being selfish and being a team leader. He would be a welcomed addition. He is by far the best and most respected defensive player in football today. I don't understand your logic???????

Terence said:
Why do you guys think he is selfish? You don't never hear him talking about himself or placing himself above everyone else. Just because he dances a little when he scores a TD doesn't mean that he's selfish. True, he's energectic and tanacious, but he's also a team player. He's a leader. And there's a difference between being selfish and being a team leader. He would be a welcomed addition. He is by far the best and most respected defensive player in football today. I don't understand your logic???????

I dont understand how hes selfish either. Is it just the dancing? Branch dances all the time. There are a number of guys on this team who have their little things they do after a play. Was the snowangel selfish?

Im not saying Lewis wouldn't be a bad fit, but I think it would be more because of his injuries or scheme.

At his best, Lewis is a sideline-to-sideline ubiquitous presence on the field, and a tireless motivator on the sidelines. I personally have my doubts as to whether the Pats want or need the sermon approach between plays. People have likened the Pats' D to a "machine" and called it "boring." I think there might be a certain attention to detail inherent to a complex scheme that makes the (relatively) low-key Pats presence necessarily different from the swaggering Ravens (in good years) presence on-field.

I also think when somebody brings talent and fire to the table and you see he's in range for what you'll pay, you work in the energy you can use and you make the adjustment for the energy you can't.

I've got a photographer friend who did a shoot of RayLew the year the courts officially branded him an Obstructor, the same year he had the most monstrous of several monstrous seasons. He characterized him as humble, respectful, polite, everything that's the opposite of what you see on Sundays. Whatever his role in the events leading to his obstruction conviction, Lewis took it on himself to be THE best defensive player in the league, as the only way to make people forget the conviction. And he brought that fire with him year after year.

I wouldn't be worried about him being a TO-type problem child or any kind of distraction. I would worry a tiny bit that the amount of "psych" he brings to the table might be a mismatch with how the Pats go about their business. And on the flip side, I wonder how Lewis would play when there's more of a premium on playing within your role, and a difficult role at that.

Just random thoughts,

PFnV

Sean Pa Patriot said:
I think its time to stop the Ray Lewis talk, it never will happen.. Nor do I want all that jazz that comes with him either...

My sentiments exactly.

Now if we were discussing Derrick Brooks...I'd be ecstatic...

Sean Pa Patriot said:
I think its time to stop the Ray Lewis talk, it never will happen.. Nor do I want all that jazz that comes with him either...
The dancings fine but leave the murdering near dc where it belongs

Terence said:
Why does he want to be traded? Because he wants to play the way that will let him play ow he wants to (more dramatic plays) not the way the coaches feel will result in the most wins.

He may be the most respected player by you, but certainly not by me. have you watched him play in the last couple of years? Seen him manhandled by OGs and Cs?

PatsFanInVa said:
I think there might be a certain attention to detail inherent to a complex scheme that makes the (relatively) low-key Pats presence necessarily different from the swaggering Ravens (in good years) presence on-field.
Lewis does not restrict swaggering to good years or good games. If he can knock down a Wr coming across the flat, he will do his swagger-dance.

Come on........if he has anything left, he could contribute mightily to this team. Just plug him in this defense and let him play -- think about it for a while.

He did seem to slow down last year though and that is my only concern.He looked slow, really slow and not very intimidating at all, was he injured or just toast, done,

All this talk about him fitting in or bring a distraction I feel is off base. Patriots would not bring him in without doing due diligence, just as they did with Dillon. Should the happen to trade for him, rest assured he will be 100% grade A BB/SP inspected and approved.

I do not however think it will happen, but mark me down as very much on board should it happen. Remember, I believe we would only absorb his salary not his bonus money on the cao

AndyJohnson said:
Im not interested in Lewis coming here.
His cost in trade and cap room will be based on what he used to be, and it is very clear, IMO, that he isnt what he used to be.

I'd love him at a fair price, but that will never happen.

He has struggled quite a bit in a 3-4, and I think he will only go to a 4-3 team.
Lewis is about having a defense set up to protect him. Our defense is about LBs taking on and shedding blockers. He won't want to play in a defense that isnt built around keeping blockers off him, and we won't want LBs who cant take on blockers. At least not at that price.

Not this stuff again.............Let me show you his stats from his "struggle" during the 3-4 years.

2003 Baltimore Ravens 16 games 161 tackles 1.5 sacks & 6 picks

2004 Baltimore Ravens 15 games 146 tackles 1 sack 5 passes defensed

Our beloved Teddy B. doesn't even come close to that even in his probowl season.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3831

Whether you want him or not, you have to admit, it's an intrigueing proposition.
It would be seriously exciting news if it actually happened. Sensational, even.
At the end the day(where have I heard that before?) somehow, I don't think our D would fall apart if it happened.

How quickly we forget the little bargain Belichick and Kraft entered into when Bill was signed as HC. In part because of his ties to LT via Parcells, Kraft told him he did not want his team to be involved with thugs and hoodlums. If that was what Belichick thought it would take to win it all, then Kraft would just get out of the NFL and invest his money elsewhere. Belichick assured him he could win without compromising Krafts principles. They both bend the rule at little at times, but they aren't going to break it. Especially with 3 Lombardi's already in the trophy case.

And if you don't think Ray Ray is selfish, explain why a 31 year old LB would bail on the franchise he won a Superbowl MVP with, that then stood by him through a murder charge and obstruction conviction, and even gave him a 5 year extension and a $19M signing bonus in 2002 as part of a 7 year $50M deal to insure he retired as a Raven?

Ray wants a new deal because the backloaded salaries in his existing deal, which are likely still pretty hefty, aren't guaranteed. That's not comforting for a who missed 10 games last season. He's at the point in that deal where he could be cut with little cap consequence. He isn't going to go to any new team in a trade unless as part of the deal they rip up his existing deal with Baltimore and hand him another double digit signing bonus up front.

Terence said:

Lewis wants to be in a defense that is focused around him and allows him to make big plays and pile up stats. He wants other players to take on blockers and create gaps so that he can get all the tackles and sacks. He doesn't want to play in a defense that is about about patience and everyone taking on blockers and holding gaps, which is what the Belichick and 3-4 defense is about. He wants to be a highlight reel player who gets to make all the big plays, regardless of if it actually helps his team. I think you ca call that selfish.

zippo59 said:
Lewis wants to be in a defense that is focused around him and allows him to make big plays and pile up stats. He wants other players to take on blockers and create gaps so that he can get all the tackles and sacks. He doesn't want to play in a defense that is about about patience and everyone taking on blockers and holding gaps, which is what the Belichick and 3-4 defense is about. He wants to be a highlight reel player who gets to make all the big plays, regardless of if it actually helps his team. I think you ca call that selfish.

Good post. The only way I would have him is if he went to BB and said, "I've been doing this all wrong. Teach me how to play football."

That ain't going to happen.:D

I just watched highlights of the interview and Lewis said that he deserves to have players whose job it is to make him look good.

The whole point of the 3-4 is to have the linemen take up blockers to free the linebackers to make plays. I remember a number of people being excited at the prospect of Brian Urlacher coming here last draft, yet his production dropped when he didnt have the big boys in front of him. Bruschi wouldn't be nearly as effective as an MLB without Wilfork, Seymour etc. taking on guys in the 2-gap.

A plus of the 3-4 is the versatility it offers. Ray Ray is a tremendously versatile LB. He has excelled in coverage, the pass rush, and (when the big guys are there) against the run.

I don't necessarily think the Pats are going to get him, but I dont think it would be a bad pickup.

MrTibbs said:
Not this stuff again.............Let me show you his stats from his "struggle" during the 3-4 years.

2003 Baltimore Ravens 16 games 161 tackles 1.5 sacks & 6 picks

2004 Baltimore Ravens 15 games 146 tackles 1 sack 5 passes defensed

Our beloved Teddy B. doesn't even come close to that even in his probowl season.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3831

Spare us all those tackle numbers. Tackles aren't an official stat and the home team credits them without review from anyone. It is well known that Urlacher and Lewis are given tackles anytime they are within 5 yards of a play.

Someone (Dr Z maybe?) broke down a tape a couple years ago of a game where Ray Lewis was credited with 20 tackles. His findings were that Lewis really made 5 or 6 tackles and fell on or stood near 15 piles.

The guy wants out of Baltimore because they have no intention of tearing up his contract and giving him a 15 million signing bonus because he used to be great. Are BB and Pioli in the business of paying guys for past performance? Certainly not and that is why Ray isn't coming to NE.

MoLewisrocks said:
How quickly we forget the little bargain Belichick and Kraft entered into when Bill was signed as HC. In part because of his ties to LT via Parcells, Kraft told him he did not want his team to be involved with thugs and hoodlums. If that was what Belichick thought it would take to win it all, then Kraft would just get out of the NFL and invest his money elsewhere. Belichick assured him he could win without compromising Krafts principles. They both bend the rule at little at times, but they aren't going to break it. Especially with 3 Lombardi's already in the trophy case.

And if you don't think Ray Ray is selfish, explain why a 31 year old LB would bail on the franchise he won a Superbowl MVP with, that then stood by him through a murder charge and obstruction conviction, and even gave him a 5 year extension and a $19M signing bonus in 2002 as part of a 7 year $50M deal to insure he retired as a Raven?

Ray wants a new deal because the backloaded salaries in his existing deal, which are likely still pretty hefty, aren't guaranteed. That's not comforting for a who missed 10 games last season. He's at the point in that deal where he could be cut with little cap consequence. He isn't going to go to any new team in a trade unless as part of the deal they rip up his existing deal with Baltimore and hand him another double digit signing bonus up front.

*cough* Christian Peter *cough*

Is Ray Lewis still wearing Eddie George on his back?

Last edited:
zippo59 said:
I just watched highlights of the interview and Lewis said that he deserves to have players whose job it is to make him look good.
Did he really say that?? What a chump...no way would he be here...

Ray Lewis......?

Ray Lewis would not fit in with our scheme. He is to wild. Just imagine 4th and Goal for the opponent on Monday Night Football and Bruschi sees a a gap forming as the Offense comes to the line. He turns and directs Ray Lewis to a new assignment. Does Ray, as every one watches take orders from Bruschi or does he ignore him and go for the showboat play? Hmmmmmm, Ray Lewis a show boat. Never. He will never fit. If given the opportunity he would be a Defensive T.O. I say draft a young Monster named Justin Huggard out of VMI. He plays like Ray Lewis, lead his conference in tackles, and would actually be gratefull for a chance to play in the greatest sport on the planet. Instead of dancing!

MoLewisrocks said:

AMEN!! He is not a Patriots type player, and he is not a Patriot type person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes