PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens WR Anquan Boldin? If he is released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipster9

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that the Ravens want Anquan Boldin to take a pay cut, or he will be released before Tuesday’s start of the free-agent signing period.
Boldin is set to earn a base $6 million salary in 2013, but he doesn't sit high on the Ravens' list of free agent signings. ILB Dannell Ellerbe is believed to be the top priority in the wake of Joe Flacco's contract extension, and pay cut for Boldin would free up even more cap space for Baltimore. Boldin quipped after the Ravens' Super Bowl win that he'd retire if the Ravens cut him. We're inclined to think that he might be reconsidering that stance

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

One source on Boldin: 'Unless something dramatic happens, it's an absolute done deal that Anquan will be released.' We'll see. Still time

But he said he would retire if he leaves :D

Guy isn't good he had one good super bowl run look how mediocre he was for his time in Baltimore.

Guy isn't good he had one good super bowl run look how mediocre he was for his time in Baltimore.

boldin isn't good? Do you not know how tough of a WR he is? He will go up and get anything.... :bricks:

boldin isn't good? Do you not know how tough of a WR he is? He will go up and get anything.... :bricks:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not :D He had a good run, but he'll go back to his 700 yards and 4 tds next year.

65rec 921yds 14.2avg 4tds. Boldin.

74rec 911yds 12.3avg 4tds. Lloyd.

Stats aren't everything in determining a players value but I can't decide if players were swapped what the difference would be because both QB's are different as well as the offenses. Both have fantastic numbers as #2 Wr options. I don't know, I guess you give the nod to Boldin for his playoff performance against crappy secondaries and Flacco's ability to put that ball where only Boldin could get it. They got it done on the biggest stage although I wonder how Boldin would of done if he was a Pat playing against the hot Baltimore defense with Brady having no time to throw.

I try to keep in mind Lloyd was only in his first season with this team and still put up quietly impressive numbers. Maybe with another season he could be even better? Stepped up big vs SF and Houston towards the end of the season.

65rec 921yds 14.2avg 4tds. Boldin.

74rec 911yds 12.3avg 4tds. Lloyd.

Stats aren't everything in determining a players value but I can't decide if players were swapped what the difference would be because both QB's are different as well as the offenses. Both have fantastic numbers as #2 Wr options. I don't know, I guess you give the nod to Boldin for his playoff performance against crappy secondaries and Flacco's ability to put that ball where only Boldin could get it. They got it done on the biggest stage although I wonder how Boldin would of done if he was a Pat playing against the hot Baltimore defense with Brady having no time to throw.

I try to keep in mind Lloyd was only in his first season with this team and still put up quietly impressive numbers. Maybe with another season he could be even better? Stepped up big vs SF and Houston towards the end of the season.

Difference between Lloyd and Boldin, is Lloyd catches the ball and goes down on the ground, and Boldin tries to get YAC...

Id love to have him on the Patriots if he wasnt asking for an outrageous deal. He can outjump and fight for the ball, even when hes covered. We haven't had that since Randy Moss.

Boldin and Lloyd on the outside with WW in the slot...plus our TE. Ya, i'd take that

Boldin is a much better player than Lloyd is at this point. He's able to make tough catches in traffic, beat press coverage and get a little bit of YAC too. He would give us a physical presence on the outside, something this team has been lacking since David Givens left. He doesn't have much speed and isn't a deep threat, but then again, neither is Lloyd. He would be a better fit than Wallace, in my opinion, and would cost significantly less.

Id love to have him on the Patriots if he wasnt asking for an outrageous deal. He can outjump and fight for the ball, even when hes covered. We haven't had that since Randy Moss.

I'd rather have open receivers to throw to.

I'd rather have open receivers to throw to.

That's the problem with Boldin. I don't know how comfortable TFB would be risking picks by trusting a covered Boldin to fight for the ball and take it away. We know how Tommy Boy hates being picked. Tom has serious trust issues.

Boldin would be an intersting option if he could be gotten for the same amount that Lloyd is scheduled to make. That would result in some dead money, but the payout would be the same, and that WR spot would become less athletic but more physical. The age difference is just six months.

Meetings on the subject would certainly seem to be worth listening to.

USA Today reports Anquan Boldin has rejected the Ravens' proposed pay cut and is "preparing" for unrestricted free agency.
Talks are "ongoing" and the Ravens want Boldin back, but their initial offer clearly wasn't to his liking. Boldin stated after the season that he'd retire if Baltimore released him, but that's clearly not reality. Boldin is notoriously and bullish in opinions about his worth dating back to his Arizona days. "Once he's decided, you might as well try to move the Rock of Gibraltar," a source told USA Today. "I think he was trying to express loyalty to them," the source added of Boldin's retirement pledge. "I know that he's hoping to stay with them, but he's willing to go someplace else."

I say BB should see what he wants. We need a big physical receiver and Boldin is a type of WR we need. SIGN THE BEAST!!

That's the problem with Boldin. I don't know how comfortable TFB would be risking picks by trusting a covered Boldin to fight for the ball and take it away. We know how Tommy Boy hates being picked. Tom has serious trust issues.

If he knows the guy has the necessary physical skill and will put the effort to make a catch in traffic, Tom will throw him the ball in coverage. He did that countless times with Moss. What other receivers did he even have an opportunity to throw jump balls to? David Patten? Troy Brown? Deion Branch? Wes Welker? Reche Caldwell? Jabar Gaffney? Givens is the only one of the pre-Moss receivers who made a ton of contested catches, because he was big and had very strong hands. I'm not even including Lloyd in the conversation because the guy had at least one knee on the ground before the ball even got to him on 75% of the throws that went his way.

If Boldin came at a decent price tag, he might worth the money. Granted, he is another possession receiver who isn't a deep threat. I wonder how the Pats need a receiver who can stretch the defense crowd will take to him.

Boldin was what the Pats were missing in the last game with Gronk out. Not a receiver who could stretch the field, But a big target in red zone.

If Boldin came at a decent price tag, he might worth the money. Granted, he is another possession receiver who isn't a deep threat. I wonder how the Pats need a receiver who can stretch the defense crowd will take to him.

Boldin was what the Pats were missing in the last game with Gronk out. Not a receiver who could stretch the field, But a big target in red zone.

Hypothetically, would the following work for you, taking into account money, other needs, etc...:

Welker (multi-year deal)
Lloyd
Edelman
1st/2nd round Rookie WR (Tall, fast downfield option)
Boldin (2 year deal at roughly Lloyd money)

Hypothetically, would the following work for you, taking into account money, other needs, etc...:

Welker (multi-year deal)
Lloyd
Edelman
1st/2nd round Rookie WR (Tall, fast downfield option)
Boldin (2 year deal at roughly Lloyd money)

Considering I am of the belief the receiving corp doesn't need to be upgraded other than depth (assuming Welker is back), I would be more than satisfied with this as long as it doesn't hurt the Pats upgrading the defense. This team need pass rushers and secondary help more than receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes