OLB - A. Thomas 7/10
CB - A. Samuel 9/10
CB - E. Hobbs 4/10
SS - R. Harrison 9/10
FS - J. Sanders 7/10

RB - L. Maroney 5/10
MLB - T. Bruschi 8/10
MLB - J. Seau 8/10

So Maroney is "average," while Bruschi and Seau are "borderline Pro Bowl" caliber?

Heh.

Offense:
QB - T. Brady 10/10
RB - L. Maroney 6/10
T - M. Light 7/10
T - N. Kaczur 4/10
G - S. Neal 6/10
G - L. Mankins 8/10
C - D. Koppen 8/10
WR - R . Moss 10/10
WR - W. Welker 9/10
WR - D. Stallworth 4/10
TE - B. Watson 6/10

Defense:
DE - R. Seymour 8/10
NT - V. Wilfork 10/10
DE - T. Warren 9/10
OLB - M. Vrabel 10/10
MLB - T. Bruschi 6/10
MLB - J. Seau 6/10
OLB - A. Thomas 7/10
CB - A. Samuel 9/10
CB - E. Hobbs 4/10
SS - R. Harrison 9/10
FS - J. Sanders 7/10

Stallworth and Hobbs are below average? Really?

If it came down to a FG in the playoffs would you be nervous? Especially if it were in the 35-45 yard range where Adam was money everytime. I know I'm hoping that these playoff games dont come down to a FG.

Do you mean you were never nervous when AV came on for his attempts in the playoffs? Did you really feel 100% confident that he would nail it? I'll be nervous if it comes down to a FG no matter who is kicking it. Sure it's easy to have more confidence in AV now, but when it comes down to it, at that moment before the kick, you know you'll be nervous no matter who is kicking it.

How can you say that?? What has Gots done to prove that he can make it? He hasnt had to make any big kicks at all this season, or really in his career for that matter. He is a great kickoff guy but when it comes down to FGs hes just average.

Didn't Gost hit a game tying FG late in the 4th quarter in his very first NFL game?

Didn't he make all three FGs including a 50+ yarder and another with less than a minute left against SD in the playoffs?

Didn't he hit both his attempts including one late in the 4th quarter to take the lead against Indy the next week?

What is the deal here? The guy has been in the league for less than two full seasons and has hit all but one "pressure" kick - the game sealer against the Jets in his second game. Gost has hit a higher percentage of his kicks (85.7) this year than AV (78.6) and Ryan Longwell (82.6) who were the premier kickers available when he was drafted..... and they both play in a dome! Are you more confident in them? Why?

If you say that they have proven to be successful in the playoffs and pressure situations why don't you count Gost's success in those same situations?

Last edited:
BTW, just to illustrate my point about FG% consistency, take a look at the top 5 guys from last year and their performance this year, and vice versa:

Top 5 FG% from 2006 and their numbers for 2007

1) Stover 93.3 2007 ranking - #20 (83.3)
2) Elam 93.1 2007 ranking - #12 (86.2)
3) Lindel 92 2007 ranking - #10 (87.5)
3) Carney 92 2007 ranking - #19 (84.6)
5) Kaeding 89.7 2007 ranking - #10 (87.5)

Top 5 FG% from 2007 and their numbers for 2006

1) Scobee 92.3 2006 ranking - #19 (81.3)
2) Reed 92 2006 ranking - #30 (74.1)
3) Graham 90.9 2006 ranking - #15 (83.3)
3) Feeley 90.9 2006 ranking - #13 (85.2)
5) Nedney 89.5 2006 ranking - #16 (82.9)

Only two of the 10 guys were top 10 in both years, and both of them just snuck in at #10. AV is the 26 worst FG kicker in terms of % this year after placing 6th in 2006. FG% just isn't consistent.

Rate all the 22 starters.

Offense:
QB - T. Brady 10/10
RB - L. Maroney 6/10
T - M. Light 8/10
T - N. Kaczur 7/10
G - S. Neal 7/10
G - L. Mankins 8/10
C - D. Koppen 8/10
WR - R . Moss 9/10
WR - W. Welker 8/10
WR - D. Stallworth 6/10
TE - B. Watson 6/10

Defense:
DE - R. Seymour 8/10
NT - V. Wilfork 8/10
DE - T. Warren 8/10
OLB - M. Vrabel 8/10
MLB - T. Bruschi 6/10
MLB - J. Seau 7/10
OLB - A. Thomas 7/10
CB - A. Samuel 8/10
CB - E. Hobbs 7/10
SS - R. Harrison 8/10
FS - J. Sanders 7/10

Special Teams:
K - S. Gostkowski 7/10
P - C. Hanson 6/10

Rate all the starters from a scale of 1-10

Good post, points out the how solid the team is. Each offseason I do a similar exercise across all signed players to identify which units good use help. Without crunching any numbers we all can tell CB and ILB will be positions of priority in the offseason.

Offense:
QB - T. Brady 9.5/10
RB - L. Maroney 6/10
T - M. Light 6.5/10
T - N. Kaczur 5.5/10
G - S. Neal 7.5/10
G - L. Mankins 8.0/10
C - D. Koppen 8.5/10
WR - R . Moss 9.0/10
WR - W. Welker 9.0/10
WR - D. Stallworth 6.5/10
TE - B. Watson 6.5/10

Defense:
DE - R. Seymour 6.0/10
NT - V. Wilfork 8.0/10
DE - T. Warren 7.0/10
OLB - M. Vrabel 8.5/10
MLB - T. Bruschi 5.0/10
MLB - J. Seau 7.0/10
OLB - A. Thomas 7.0/10
CB - A. Samuel 8.0/10
CB - E. Hobbs 6.5/10
SS - R. Harrison 7.0/10
FS - J. Sanders 7.0/10

Special Teams:
K - S. Gostkowski 8.5/10
P - C. Hanson 4/10

10 characters

Offense:
QB - T. Brady 10/10...duh
RB - L. Maroney 7/10...does his job, he stopped a lot of his dancing around
T - M. Light 6/10...I refuse to believe he's Pro-Bowl good
T - N. Kaczur 4/10...he's downright bad sometimes, very streaky
G - S. Neal 8/10...throws great blocks downfield on screens, very underrated
G - L. Mankins 10/10...the best guard in the NFL
C - D. Koppen 8/10...consistent
WR - R . Moss 10/10...duh
WR - W. Welker 9/10...best slot reciever in the NFL
WR - D. Stallworth 6/10...does his job getting downfield, and drawing the safety...breaks a lot of tackles
TE - B. Watson 6/10...started the season hot, I hope he can get healthy

Defense:
DE - R. Seymour 7/10...used to be elite, has declined the past two seasons
NT - V. Wilfork 10/10...best NT in the NFL (yes, better than Williams and Hampton)
DE - T. Warren 7/10...was elite last season, this year he doesn't stop the run consistently enough
OLB - M. Vrabel 10/10...DPOY?
MLB - T. Bruschi 6/10...fiery leader, but part of the reason our run D sucks
MLB - J. Seau 5/10...see above
OLB - A. Thomas 7/10...not as good as I expected, hopefully going back to his natural position will help
CB - A. Samuel 10/10...no one throws his way for good reason
CB - E. Hobbs 4/10...just gets torn apart game after game, does not have the speed to stick with recievers across the middle
SS - R. Harrison 7/10...has been fantastic this season
FS - J. Sanders 7/10...has progressed extremely well

Special Teams:
K - S. Gostkowski 7/10...numbers are deflated because we don't kick that often
P - C. Hanson 4/10...sucks

Belichick 10

Offense:
QB - T. Brady 10
RB - L. Maroney 6
T - M. Light 8
T - N. Kaczur 6
G - S. Neal 7
G - L. Mankins 9
C - D. Koppen 8
WR - R . Moss 9
WR - W. Welker 8
WR - D. Stallworth 7
TE - B. Watson 7

Defense:
DE - R. Seymour 8
NT - V. Wilfork 8
DE - T. Warren 8
OLB - M. Vrabel 8
MLB - T. Bruschi 7
MLB - J. Seau 7
OLB - A. Thomas 8
CB - A. Samuel 9
CB - E. Hobbs 7
SS - R. Harrison 8
FS - J. Sanders 7

Special Teams:
K - S. Gostkowski 7
P - C. Hanson 6

Do you mean you were never nervous when AV came on for his attempts in the playoffs? Did you really feel 100% confident that he would nail it? I'll be nervous if it comes down to a FG no matter who is kicking it. Sure it's easy to have more confidence in AV now, but when it comes down to it, at that moment before the kick, you know you'll be nervous no matter who is kicking it.

In all honesty I was never nervous when AV stepped over a kick in the playoffs. You just knew it was going to be good. He was that good. As for the regular season, it means nothing when it comes to kicking in the playoffs. Its a totally different ballgame kicking in the 4th quarter with your season on the line. Adam just always got it done.

As for Got's although he was 8-8 last year in the postseason I just dont have much confidence in him this year. He's missed 3 times this year. All between the 35-45 yarders. Those were the ones that you knew AV would hit. Even his makes just dont look clean. Im not saying hes a bad kicker my any means, hes a good kicker just not as good as AV was, and plus its his only 2nd year in the league.

In all honesty I was never nervous when AV stepped over a kick in the playoffs. You just knew it was going to be good. He was that good. As for the regular season, it means nothing when it comes to kicking in the playoffs. Its a totally different ballgame kicking in the 4th quarter with your season on the line. Adam just always got it done.

As for Got's although he was 8-8 last year in the postseason I just dont have much confidence in him this year. He's missed 3 times this year. All between the 35-45 yarders. Those were the ones that you knew AV would hit. Even his makes just dont look clean. Im not saying hes a bad kicker my any means, hes a good kicker just not as good as AV was, and plus its his only 2nd year in the league.

You are contradicting yourself in this very post:

As for the regular season, it means nothing when it comes to kicking in the playoffs.

As for Got's although he was 8-8 last year in the postseason I just dont have much confidence in him this year. He's missed 3 times this year. All between the 35-45 yarders.

Sooooo...

Regular season mean nothing for AV, but it means everything for Gost?

AV's misses in SB 38 - both of which came within 30-35 btw - are irrelevent, but Gost's misses this year mean he can't get the job done? Despite him getting the job done every single time the game was on the line? And being perfect in last year's playoffs?

Funny enough, AV's NE career playoff FG% was 80%. 80%. So this guy who was money in the playoffs can miss 20% of the time but Gost missing 14% of the time this year means he is a problem?

And if you counter with, "but he always made it when the game was on the line" the same is true for Gost!

You aren't making any sense. We all loved AV during his time he and feel that he was a big contributor to the team's success. But you are glofifying that time tremendously and your logic has very little basis in reality.

Bottom line Gots hasnt made any Super Bowl winning kicks and until then I will always be nervous when hes kicking a meaningful FG.

Bottom line Gots hasnt made any Super Bowl winning kicks and until then I will always be nervous when hes kicking a meaningful FG.

So, Gost can go 8-8 in last year's playoffs including two late game winner/lead takers, but solely because the defense couldn't hold the lead he is downgraded? And you do realize that AV is the only kicker in the history of the game to make a SB winning kick in the final seconds, right?

So AV is the only reliable kicker in the history of the game? :confused:

You have some really high standards. :rolleyes:

Offense:
QB - T. Brady 10/10
RB - L. Maroney 7/10
T - M. Light 8/10
T - N. Kaczur 6/10
G - S. Neal 8/10
G - L. Mankins 10/10
C - D. Koppen 9/10
WR - R . Moss 10/10
WR - W. Welker 9/10
WR - D. Stallworth 7/10
TE - B. Watson 8/10

Defense:
DE - R. Seymour 8/10
NT - V. Wilfork 9/10
DE - T. Warren 8/10
OLB - M. Vrabel 10/10
MLB - T. Bruschi 8/10
MLB - J. Seau 7/10
OLB - A. Thomas 8/10
CB - A. Samuel 9/10
CB - E. Hobbs 7/10
SS - R. Harrison 8/10
FS - J. Sanders 7/10

K - S. Gostkowski 6/10
P - C. Hanson 6/10

Last edited:
wow, no love for Kaczur. I didn't think he was that bad for a kid for a couple years in the league

Let's see tonight, I hope we don't miss him

You said that kicking in the regular season means nothing when it comes to the playoffs. Gost was good last year in the playoffs, but you don't have confidence in him because of this year? As for his misses, AV was not a lock to hit those. YOu do know he's missed some kicks in his days right? Including this year missing a pretty easy FG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News