PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rate Ellis Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's average, but he's young and has a chance to improve.

He's got PO-TENTIAL! :D

So Samuel gives the same amount of cushion but gets burned far less often than Hobbs. Could it possibly have to do with the fact that Samuel is simply a BETTER corner? Naah, couldn't be...

When Hobbs gets burned his lack of cover instincts is exposed. He's often twisted around or out of the play. Maybe he just doesn't have the recovery speed to get back into the passing lane after he bites on a WR's move, like that wide open TD to... let's see who it was this week.. ah yes Camarillo.

And in your infinite wisdom you know for a fact that wasn't a case of blown coverage with hobbs responsibility being the inside? You are so ignorant it's funny. Samuel is better overall in the sense that it's more risky to throw towards his side of the field due to his big play ability. Hobbs does far better in tight man coverage than the zones they play most of the time. Your analysis on hobbs is pretty pitiful. He does not OFTEN get twisted around or out of the play. If he did that OFTEN we'd be giving up a TONNN of yardage through the air, not be 5th best in the NFL.

Once again you avoid my posts and the facts. Do you watch every single f'ing game of every team? If not then how the hell do you know what is the "norm" or what is "average"? Of course don't ever recall when Samuel bit on a Marvin Harrison fake in-cut to get burned for a WIDE OPEN TD pass. That is the risk Samuel is willing to take and he usually has safety help, that time he didnt' and Marvin didn't have a defender within 10-20 yards of him. But isn't Samuel good? How could he be imperfect and still good?

FIFTH IN THE LEAGUE IN PASSING YARDAGE AGAINST.

Duane Starks was bad, Hobbs is good.

So Samuel gives the same amount of cushion but gets burned far less often than Hobbs. Could it possibly have to do with the fact that Samuel is simply a BETTER corner? Naah, couldn't be...

When Hobbs gets burned his lack of cover instincts is exposed. He's often twisted around or out of the play. Maybe he just doesn't have the recovery speed to get back into the passing lane after he bites on a WR's move, like that wide open TD to... let's see who it was this week.. ah yes Camarillo.

I said Hobbs has given up some receptions he shouldn't have this season, and I'd agree he's been "decent" within NE's defensive schemes this season. Does that sound like I think he's played better than Samuel this season?

You're taking my saying his distance from the LOS is scheme related, Hobbs being a better Man CB, his being young/having room to improve, and their zone coverages fitting Samuel's ability better as my saying Hobbs has played great, or is on Samuel's level? News flash, I haven't once said that.

It's alright though, you're just trying to find someone else to bash, as you're starting to move on from your daily Maroney complaints...

Last edited:
And in your infinite wisdom you know for a fact that wasn't a case of blown coverage with hobbs responsibility being the inside? You are so ignorant it's funny. Samuel is better overall in the sense that it's more risky to throw towards his side of the field due to his big play ability. Hobbs does far better in tight man coverage than the zones they play most of the time. Your analysis on hobbs is pretty pitiful. He does not OFTEN get twisted around or out of the play. If he did that OFTEN we'd be giving up a TONNN of yardage through the air, not be 5th best in the NFL.

Once again you avoid my posts and the facts. Do you watch every single f'ing game of every team? If not then how the hell do you know what is the "norm" or what is "average"? Of course don't ever recall when Samuel bit on a Marvin Harrison fake in-cut to get burned for a WIDE OPEN TD pass. That is the risk Samuel is willing to take and he usually has safety help, that time he didnt' and Marvin didn't have a defender within 10-20 yards of him. But isn't Samuel good? How could he be imperfect and still good?

This is what I was trying to explain to him before. We've all noticed plays where Hobbs likely should have had better coverage, and he's had a few bad games. That doesn't mean he's getting "toasted on a regular basis". If he was getting toasted on a regular basis BB would have Randall Gay out there, or he would have found someone else to plugin. That doesn't mean Hobbs is great, it just means he's not as bad as VJC makes it sound.

I've honestly thought Hobbs could have played better this season, but I still believe he's a good CB with potential to improve. He's flashed that potential at times, and in other games he hasn't looked as good. Everything he's shown us also leads me to believe he's currently a better Man CB than Zone CB, which is why I said it will be interesting to see what NE does in 2008, as I think Asante Samuel (a very good soft Zone CB) is gone. It seems to me they used to play a more physical brand of defense in the secondary, and their CB's used to play closer to the LOS. Maybe they'll go back to some of that in 2008, which should play into Hobbs strengths. That being said Hobbs could start to play better in zone coverages, so we'll just have to wait and see.

If Samuel is gone, he'll be the #1 CB on the patriots for the next decade. Thankfully BB knows a whole helluva lot more than you. Go watch the bengals game from eariler this year, and watch Hobbs all game. Just do it, and after you do... S T F U.

hahaha...typical M&M fan. Yeah, you're right, Hobbs is a future HOF'er. My bad. :rolleyes:

Do you watch every game of every other NFl team? Because in order to judge how often he gets "burned" as compared to the "norm" with just your eyes, you also have to watch every single game of every single NFL team so you can "SEE" the norm and how often a cb gets beat on average.

We're are in the upper 1/3 of the league in passing TD's allowed I believe. So that's a lot of teams that allow MORE PASSING TD's than us. How can Hobbs be playing below average and getting beat so often and the pats not be towards the bottom in passing TD's allowed?

How can Hobbs get beat MORE than the average CB and the Patriots still manage to boast the 5th best defensive passing yardage against per game? HOW? Because your eyes tell you?

The same as the maroney crap, you watch only patriots games. You catch a few games here and there from other teams and watch HIGHLIGHTS. Then you compare what your "eyes see" to the norm, yet your eyes haven't seen the norm. Now go ignore the facts and continue to say you are a realist and your eyes tell you this and that.

I don't think the rest of the CB's in the league have our D line, LB core, and combination of secondary players on their defensive unit. You guys sound like the same people who were telling us how good our recievers were last year. Just be objective. Hobbs is mediocre. He hasn't improved as most thought he would.

Hold whatever opinion you like. I'll continue to believe anyone who truly thinks Hobbs distance from the LOS isn't scheme related happens to be an ignoramus, especially since Asante plays a simular distance from the LOS.

I'm not a coach, just a fifth year senior.

We'll agree to disagree then. Keep an eye on him more closely, and you'll see what I've come to learn. He's mediocre. I thought he was going to be real good when I saw him as a rookie, but he's regressed. I say this as someone who was on your side not to long ago.

Is the Kool-aid grape tonight, or raspberry? I like grape myself. :p

hahaha...typical M&M fan. Yeah, you're right, Hobbs is a future HOF'er. My bad. :rolleyes:

yea because I said he's a future HOFer. I guess every team's best cornerback is going to the hall every year... Typical twist of words.

We'll agree to disagree then. Keep an eye on him more closely, and you'll see what I've come to learn. He's mediocre. I thought he was going to be real good when I saw him as a rookie, but he's regressed. I say this as someone who was on your side not to long ago.

If Hobbs is mediocre, then Gay and every other DB on our team is terrible. It just sucks that BB would keep all these mediocre and terrible players on the team and not look for better options.

Duane Starks was bad, Hobbs was a rookie, BB made the change. If Hobbs was as bad or mediocre as you claim why the hell would BB play him so damn much?

Sebman knows what he's talking about, you just confuse over-exaggeration with "being objective". He's not perfect, he's not a HOFer and he's not a top 5 CB in the league, but he's a GOOD cornerback, above average and most of the time he does his job well.

When you see us play man coverage, who is usually covering the other team's best receiver (like Chad Johnson)? ELLIS HOBBS.

You know elllis is a decent cb he's not great at anything he's definetly not physical (we all saw that in the ravens game) and he's not a great cover corner but he is good, good enough to run with the best, we all know that evey pass interference call ever called on him while he's guarding reggie wayne has been bogus so lets give the guy a little credit one day soon he will be as good or better then samuel

Just FYI........

I have to admit...this Pats' secondary is miles better than all of the NFC teams' ones:

Dallas-Newman/Henry are excellent corners, but Roy is a liability in coverage, which has weighed down their pass D somewhere.

Packers-Harris/Woodson are very physical, but if you can beat their jams off the LOS, that's when they become vulnerable.

Hawks-A VERY good secondary, BUT their run D is very shoddy.

Bucs-They have by far one of the best in the league, but they're not going far in the playoffs anyways.

Giants-rookie Aaron Ross is a stud, but with old-man Madison and safeties that are mediocre, at best, you can have a field day with them.

Skins-their backups are playing very well, but without Rogers/Taylor, it's going to come to a stop somewhere.

Don't sweat it, guys-at least your 2 safeties a very, very good(as well as AS) to cover up any deficiencies by Hobbs.

What are we agreeing to disagree on again? I don't think you're getting my point, or even my opinion on the matter. I'm simply telling you Hobbs distance from the LOS is scheme related, which is a known fact for those who've played football at any level above HS.

What I think you're missing is the fact that I said (in multiple post) Hobbs hasn't played as well as I thought he could this season, and he's not playing on Asante's level. I do think he has some potential to grow into a better player, and I think he's a better Man CB, while the Patriots happen to be playing a lot of soft zone coverages, that play into Asante's strengths.

What are we agreeing to disagree on again? I don't think you're getting my point, or even my opinion on the matter. I'm simply telling you Hobbs distance from the LOS is scheme related, which is a known fact for those who've played football at any level above HS.

What I think you're missing is the fact that I said (in multiple post) Hobbs hasn't played as well as I thought he could this season, and he's not playing on Asante's level. I do think he has some potential to grow into a better player, and I think he's a better Man CB, while the Patriots happen to be playing a lot of soft zone coverages, that play into Asante's strengths.

Ok coach. My bad. You're right. I'll never criticize a Patriots player again. :rolleyes:

Don't sweat it, guys-at least your 2 safeties a very, very good(as well as AS) to cover up any deficiencies by Hobbs.

I'm not sweating it this year because I do have confidence in Asante, the safeties, and the scheme to cover for Hobbs weaknesses. It's next year that I'll be worried. I don't relish the thought of Hobbs being the #1 CB in New England. It has me thinking we need to draft corners in 08 or sign a good free agent.

Ok coach. My bad. You're right. I'll never criticize a Patriots player again. :rolleyes:

What kind of response is this? I didn't say we shouldn't criticize Hobbs. Actually, I criticized him myself, but you seem to have missed that part of my post...

Now, is there anyone else who'd actually like to have an intelligent conversation regarding Hobbs play this season, or what you think his future role in NE's defense might be?

I think Ellis had a much better season last year , this year his play has been up and down

I play football in college (fine, fine... only intramural flag football), so if you don't mind elaborating more on this I don't think I would be the only one who would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST