PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rate Ellis Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why Hobbs plays back

In the base 3-4 it looks to me that the weak side OLB or ILB has responsibility for those short passes either in the flat or on the quick out. I think this is why Hobbs plays back alot. On Samuel's side, you got Vrabel rushing the passer so the LCB basically has responsibility for that whole side, and is getting safety help as well. At least, thats how it looks to me.

the phin TD where he got beat on a sideline out..there were two Patriot secondary players about ten yards in front covering NOBODY...did you see that?...I picked up on it on replay...Hobbs took the post away but had no help to the sideline...I think it was a busted coverage

Yeah, one was Meriweather and the other was a LB, either AD or Alexander.

Yeah, one was Meriweather and the other was a LB, either AD or Alexander.

Which is why it's so hard to judge corners on TV. Especially when the Pats DBs are playing zone a lot, it's hard to know their responsibility. It is obvious teams are avoiding Asante and throwing Hobbs' way. I'd wager a guess that 75% of completions on the outside are away from Asante. Does that say more about Hobbs or Asante?

Certainly Hobbs gives a big cushion, but I am reluctant to judge him for the aforementioned reasons.

And the Koolaid Gestapo enter the fray!!
Oh mighty thought police, please do not deride us for exercising independant thought and judgment on an open topic to the forum! :rolleyes:

Puh-leez. Has it ever occurred to you that the reason Hobbs is out there is that BB doesn't have a better option? If you deny that CB depth will be a need in 2008 please step forward. If you can't deny that, you've got to realize that some of the current players at that position aren't exactly setting the league on fire with their play.

Very well said my friend. ;)

That's scheme related, and Asante plays just as far off at times. I'm not saying Ellis hasn't had some troubles in coverage this year mind you, just that you and other posters using his distance from the LOS against him don't know what you're talking about.

In my opinion he's a better Man CB, and better when they let him jam, but NE's usually always playing some form of a soft zone this year, which plays into Asante's strengths, and Hobbs weaknesses. We'll see what happens in 2008 and how NE uses him, as I highly doubt Asante's a 2008 Patriot.

In this current Patriots defensive scheme I'd agree that his play has been decent (with some good performances thrown in), but I think he can be a good CB given time, especially if they give him more man assignments.

I see. We don't know what we're talking about because we've dared to criticize a Patriot player, in a Patriot fan forum. Gotcha. So what Pee Wee team do you coach? :p

To note that Hobbs is a marginal corner at best, one only needs to look at players like Camarillo & Devenport scoring TD's on him. Hobbs is borderline brutal at times, and I don't need to be a paid scout to notice that. He was good in the AFCCG last year, and everyone points to that in order to mask the overall body of work. If he's the #1 CB next year, we're in for some trouble.

A lot of newer members like to toss around the anti-koolaid defense, perhaps if they paid attention to the guy who serves it to wash down his humbel pie they could engage in rational discussions. It doesn't matter what your eyes see if your brain doesn't understand what it's looking at - let alone on broadcast feeds without access to game plans and assignments. Makes it hard to have an informative discussion with any of you that doesn't descend into your ultimately self absorbed I know what I see... :rolleyes:

I'd love to lock a few of you in the film room with the Belistrator and watch him make you acknowledge just how little you actually grasp. :rofl:

Another Pee Wee coach I guess. None of peasants are smart enough to know that a guy getting roasted across the field is mediocre. My bad. :rolleyes:

And the Koolaid Gestapo enter the fray!!
Oh mighty thought police, please do not deride us for exercising independant thought and judgment on an open topic to the forum! :rolleyes:

Puh-leez. Has it ever occurred to you that the reason Hobbs is out there is that BB doesn't have a better option? If you deny that CB depth will be a need in 2008 please step forward. If you can't deny that, you've got to realize that some of the current players at that position aren't exactly setting the league on fire with their play.

Don't worry, if and when Hobbs has a pick or two against an awful QB(Eli Manning, perhaps?), the kool-aid brigade will come on here telling us how great Hobbs is. They came out from the woodwork to tell us how great Maroney is because he lit up the sorry arse defenses the Jets and Fins send out to the slaughter house every week. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Another Pee Wee coach I guess. None of peasants are smart enough to know that a guy getting roasted across the field is mediocre. My bad. :rolleyes:

I know. According to the grey hoodie posse, the team has never had a bad player on the field the past 7 years. Monty Beisel, Chad Brown, and Duane Starks all say hello.:D

This is correct, Hobbs had played better in big games. For the most part when he's faced guys like Reggie Wayne, and Lee Evens he's held his own (he shuts down Lee Evans), so I believe he's still got some potential to tap, and could improve over the next few years.

Like I've been saying, everyone points to the AFCCG when talking highly about Hobbs. He did play very good that game, but that game doesn't tell the whole story. As for Evans, who's throwing to him? Evans has been "shut down" in a lot of games this year & last. Is that the CB doing his job, or is it Trent Edwards and LP Loserman throwing in his direction?

I know. According to the grey hoodie posse, the team has never had a bad player on the field the past 7 years. Monty Beisel, Chad Brown, and Duane Starks all say hello.:D

Duane Starks might have been the work CB I've ever seen in my life. Earthwind Moreland was an All-Pro next to Starks. He sucked. I think the best #2 corner we've had recently was Ty Poole. I thought he was very good in 1 v 1 coverage.

If negative stats on cornerbacks were readily available I would look them up.
http://www.nfl.com/players/ellishobbs/situationalstats?id=HOB243174
The situational stats on Hobbs here tells me almost nothing about where/when he screws up.
It seems that sacks/ints/tackles are the only easily verifiable defensive stats tracked.
If you can find a database or stat that shows that Hobbs was burned less than the average NFL CB, please go ahead and present the data.
Otherwise I'll have to rely on what I've seen from watching the games, and it has not been pretty where Hobbs is concerned.

Do you watch every game of every other NFl team? Because in order to judge how often he gets "burned" as compared to the "norm" with just your eyes, you also have to watch every single game of every single NFL team so you can "SEE" the norm and how often a cb gets beat on average.

We're are in the upper 1/3 of the league in passing TD's allowed I believe. So that's a lot of teams that allow MORE PASSING TD's than us. How can Hobbs be playing below average and getting beat so often and the pats not be towards the bottom in passing TD's allowed?

How can Hobbs get beat MORE than the average CB and the Patriots still manage to boast the 5th best defensive passing yardage against per game? HOW? Because your eyes tell you?

The same as the maroney crap, you watch only patriots games. You catch a few games here and there from other teams and watch HIGHLIGHTS. Then you compare what your "eyes see" to the norm, yet your eyes haven't seen the norm. Now go ignore the facts and continue to say you are a realist and your eyes tell you this and that.

I see. We don't know what we're talking about because we've dared to criticize a Patriot player, in a Patriot fan forum. Gotcha. So what Pee Wee team do you coach? :p

To note that Hobbs is a marginal corner at best, one only needs to look at players like Camarillo & Devenport scoring TD's on him. Hobbs is borderline brutal at times, and I don't need to be a paid scout to notice that. He was good in the AFCCG last year, and everyone points to that in order to mask the overall body of work. If he's the #1 CB next year, we're in for some trouble.

If Samuel is gone, he'll be the #1 CB on the patriots for the next decade. Thankfully BB knows a whole helluva lot more than you. Go watch the bengals game from eariler this year, and watch Hobbs all game. Just do it, and after you do... S T F U.

That's scheme related, and Asante plays just as far off at times. I'm not saying Ellis hasn't had some troubles in coverage this year mind you, just that you and other posters using his distance from the LOS against him don't know what you're talking about.

In my opinion he's a better Man CB, and better when they let him jam, but NE's usually always playing some form of a soft zone this year, which plays into Asante's strengths, and Hobbs weaknesses. We'll see what happens in 2008 and how NE uses him, as I highly doubt Asante's a 2008 Patriot.

In this current Patriots defensive scheme I'd agree that his play has been decent (with some good performances thrown in), but I think he can be a good CB given time, especially if they give him more man assignments.

Absolutely. The patriots seem to prefer the zone coverage to fit in with their team defense. Especially against teams that don't have those one or two Chad Johnson TJ Housyamama type receivers to worry about. Samuel is better at reading the QB and takes more risks, jumping routes etc... There is a bigger risk involved in throwing Samuel's way, even when it looks open because of his proven track record for making good reads, breaking fast and catching the ball. Hobbs on the other hand is very adept at sticking to his receiver, playing his man tight. He has been victimized by some terrible PI calls in his short career but he's rarely ever not in the play when there is a catch against him in man coverage. Against MOST teams, the zone schemes are a better fit to not allow long plays and forcing long drives. Along with the confidence they have in the pass rush, it's better for the team. Hobbs is definitely above average CB, not a ball-hawk like a Samuel, but definitely not close to being "poor" or "below-average".

None of us can really analyze the schemes and responsibilities of the corner backs, but one thing we do KNOW is that BB and the coaching staff have a lot of confidence in hollywood hobbs.

Do you watch every game of every other NFl team? Because in order to judge how often he gets "burned" as compared to the "norm" with just your eyes, you also have to watch every single game of every single NFL team so you can "SEE" the norm and how often a cb gets beat on average.

We're are in the upper 1/3 of the league in passing TD's allowed I believe. So that's a lot of teams that allow MORE PASSING TD's than us. How can Hobbs be playing below average and getting beat so often and the pats not be towards the bottom in passing TD's allowed?

How can Hobbs get beat MORE than the average CB and the Patriots still manage to boast the 5th best defensive passing yardage against per game? HOW? Because your eyes tell you?

The same as the maroney crap, you watch only patriots games. You catch a few games here and there from other teams and watch HIGHLIGHTS. Then you compare what your "eyes see" to the norm, yet your eyes haven't seen the norm. Now go ignore the facts and continue to say you are a realist and your eyes tell you this and that.

A-FUKN-MEN

Hobbs has been average.

average.

he's good to give up one TD a game, getting beat straight-up in coverage. it's like clockwork, really.

Last edited:

Hold whatever opinion you like. I'll continue to believe anyone who truly thinks Hobbs distance from the LOS isn't scheme related happens to be an ignoramus, especially since Asante plays a simular distance from the LOS.

I'm not a coach, just a fifth year senior.

Don't worry, if and when Hobbs has a pick or two against an awful QB(Eli Manning, perhaps?), the kool-aid brigade will come on here telling us how great Hobbs is. They came out from the woodwork to tell us how great Maroney is because he lit up the sorry arse defenses the Jets and Fins send out to the slaughter house every week. :rolleyes:

Awww, someone is still just a little butt hurt, isn't he? I mean, you didn't believe Maroney could even total 100 yards combined against those same Jets and Dolphins...

So Samuel gives the same amount of cushion but gets burned far less often than Hobbs. Could it possibly have to do with the fact that Samuel is simply a BETTER corner? Naah, couldn't be...

When Hobbs gets burned his lack of cover instincts is exposed. He's often twisted around or out of the play. OR maybe he just doesn't have the recovery speed to get back into the passing lane after he bites on a WR's move, like that wide open TD to... let's see who it was this week.. ah yes Camarillo.

Hold whatever opinion you like. I'll continue to believe anyone who truly thinks Hobbs distance from the LOS isn't scheme related happens to be an ignoramus, especially since Asante plays a simular distance from the LOS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes