PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling released

But they would snag a vet to be the backup outside CB which i'm guessing they were hoping Dowling could have been this year, which would leave Arrington as the nickel, while bringing Ryan along slowly.

Then there is still a huge question around Dennard and if the State of Nebraska gets their way he will be unavailable until probably Week 7

We'll see how it pans out, but all of NE's actions display a great deal of confidence that Dennard's courtroom issues will end favorably.

All this nonsense and revisionist history about whether they should or should not have drafted Dowling, or drafted/trade for someone else with the pick needs to stop.

The draft is a crapshoot - anyone could be a bust or a star. There's no point in dwelling on what could have been or who the Patriots could have had instead. It's not going to change anything. So move on instead this hindsight is 20/20 foolishness.
It's a fact that the Patriots could have drafted someone who had a better medical history than Dowling, therefore increasing the probability of a productive player.
I don't recall anyone saying Dowling was a good pick back when he got drafted. So looking back, it's more like "See I told you so" rather than a change in opinion.

All this nonsense and revisionist history about whether they should or should not have drafted Dowling, or drafted/trade for someone else with the pick needs to stop.

The draft is a crapshoot - anyone could be a bust or a star. There's no point in dwelling on what could have been or who the Patriots could have had instead. It's not going to change anything. So move on instead this hindsight is 20/20 foolishness.

I'm perfectly fine giving the team grief if they go through a period like they did from 2004-2009 - only one average draft and the best players were acquired via trade - but I agree with your main point when we are talking about a failed pick in what was overall a very solid draft.

Any chance he can make the PS? I'd just like to see the guy when healthy. Looks like all the defending of the guy blew up and the haters were right... he just couldn't stay on the field.

In the defense of the scouting Dept. I just had a look and i couldn't see any really. have there been any DB's picked after Ras-I in that draft that are starting CB's in the league at the moment?

IMHO they should have Drafted DE. DT. WR or G with a pick that high yes I agree it was not a great Draft for CB's over all but there was few good ones that went in the later rounds like Richard Sherman in the 5th

According to Breer, 8 def backs drafted in first four rds since 07... only two are left (mccourty, who's not playing the position for which he was drafted and tavon wilson, who is on the roster bubble at best)...

Yes, every team could have vastly improved their team if they only spent picks on players that were good and traded the rest. Belichick also didn't have much success with TEs before Gronk or much success with pass rushers before Jones. Should he have traded those picks for veterans instead?

I don't think the scale of misfiring is even comparable between DB and either of those positions. Just saying they need to do a better job of finding talent in the draft because just as hitting on the draft is the best way to improve talent (gronk, Hernandez, etc.) repeatedly wasting picks is also a great way to get to the level of the rest of our friends in the AFC East.

I don't think the scale of misfiring is even comparable between DB and either of those positions. Just saying they need to do a better job of finding talent in the draft because just as hitting on the draft is the best way to improve talent (gronk, Hernandez, etc.) repeatedly wasting picks is also a great way to get to the level of the rest of our friends in the AFC East.

NE is unquestionably a top 5 drafting team since 2010.

This is it!!! Finally...now we know what they plan to do with Tebow...play him at SAFETY!...MOVE McCourty back to CB...BOWL!!!!..:doh::bricks:

Yes, that is why we are contenders each year! Just not when it comes to DBs is all I am saying.

Yes, that is why we are contenders each year! Just not when it comes to DBs is all I am saying.

McCourty and Dennard appear to be panning out, and Harmon/Ryan still have time.

I don't disagree that NE went through a prolonged slump from 2004-2009, but they appear to have their mojo back. :cool:

We'll see how it pans out, but all of NE's actions display a great deal of confidence that Dennard's courtroom issues will end favorably.

Forget his off field issues, he hasn't been in a pre season game yet.

It's a fact that the Patriots could have drafted someone who had a better medical history than Dowling, therefore increasing the probability of a productive player.
I don't recall anyone saying Dowling was a good pick back when he got drafted. So looking back, it's more like "See I told you so" rather than a change in opinion.
Pretty much everybody knew what Dowling was right away. If he could get on the field, he'd most likely far outplay his 33rd overall draft status. If he couldn't get on the field, then he'd be a waste. They could have definitely found other players that had a better chance of being productive, but you're also not going to get a guy with Dowling's upside unless he's got more red flags than the other players. They swung for the fences and missed. That doesn't have to make him a worse pick than a guy who was more likely to be productive, but without the same potential.

Oh well. You draft talented, injury-prone players, and sometimes you'll get a Dowling. Sometimes you'll get a Gronk. That's just how it works - definitely a bummer, though.

Sure, it's perfectly valid to shy away from injury-prone players in the earlier rounds of the draft. If you think that the Patriots should have adopted that philosophy, though, then you're also saying that they shouldn't have drafted Gronk. Can't have it both ways.

McCourty and Dennard appear to be panning out, and Harmon/Ryan still have time.

I don't disagree that NE went through a prolonged slump from 2004-2009, but they appear to have their mojo back. :cool:

We all understand that the draft is a crapshoot but if we are going to praise their unconventional picks when they hit then we should also give them **** for picks like Ras "IR" Dowling and Tavon "Who?" Wilson when they don't work. Now before someone jumps on me, yes, yes, jury is still out on Tavon.

He was a Value pick.

I was hoping Dowling would pan out eventually. Dowling and Mesko have the illustrious distinction of being the only two players in the past seven years that i've correctly picked (player & pick) in my final mock drafts...

(Glad to see Mesko still hanging in there!)

You could make a very strong case that they have been the best drafting (this includes trading their picks for players) team since 2001. I have yet to see another team rebuild on the fly and stay competitive in the free agency era.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back