PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling released

By all accounts Ras I had the talent to be on that list. He couldn't stay healthy he did not lack talent. Chad Jackson is a far bigger bust.

I agree that Dowling had the talent to be on the list, however I respectfully disagree that he should have been taken where he was, the thing that prevented Dowling’s success at the NFL (thus far) was injuries, this was a known issue with Dowling coming out of college, and he missed substantial time during his final year of college; we made a calculated risk and it did not work out.

Regarding being a bigger bust him or Jackson it really a case of picking the best of the worst, for what it is worth though Jackson was taken 3 picks later in the draft and he at least caught 13 passes and scored 3 touchdowns with during his time here, Dowling had 7 tackles during his tenure.

Not as a STer, but you might get your wish after week 1, when Brown's salary isn't guaranteed.

This team needs quality depth at CB more than it needs another special team ace.

I don't consider it a failure. I consider McCourty a fine safety and a great asset to the team. He's one of two drafted players on Oswlek's list that have shown ability to play in the secondary. However, he was drafted as a corner, not a safety, so let's not pretend the team nailed it, either.

Actually, I believe they drafted him as a "four-down player."

42 in Passes Defended (1 place above Aquib Talib that year, tied with guys like Cromartie, Finnegan)

Just a nitpick, as I don't care to get into whatever catfight you two are having, but McCourty was targetted 95 times that season while Talib was targetted 46 times. Talib only played in one less game than McCourty. QB's were definitely throwing the ball more at McCourty. I'm going to go try to find the stat, but I think halfway through the season (IIRC), QB's had something like a 123 quarterback rating against McCourty with something like 4 TD's and 0 INT's. Let me go try to find the article and I'll post it here...

This team needs quality depth at CB more than it needs another special team ace.

The same could be said for just about every team in the league. And if the team sours on Logan Ryan as the 4th guy you might see that. But they aren't going to snag a vet to be the 5th CB.

Just a nitpick, as I don't care to get into whatever catfight you two are having, but McCourty was targetted 95 times that season while Talib was targetted 46 times. Talib only played in one less game than McCourty. QB's were definitely throwing the ball more at McCourty. I'm going to go try to find the stat, but I think halfway through the season (IIRC), QB's had something like a 123 quarterback rating against McCourty with something like 4 TD's and 0 INT's. Let me go try to find the article and I'll post it here...

He was brutal for the first 6 or so games of 2011. Just terrible. The lockout and defensive change did a number on him.

That said, his lousy stretch seems to have permanently scarred many fans' impressions of Devin's play, regardless of how he has done since.

He was brutal for the first 6 or so games of 2011. Just terrible. The lockout and defensive change did a number on him.

That said, his lousy stretch seems to have permanently scarred many fans' impressions of Devin's play, regardless of how he has done since.

Not me. He's done exceptionally well since moving to FS. I believe I may have found the article, but my company's web browser is blocking it. If anybody can put up the advanced quarterback stats vs. Devin McCourty in 2011, it would be much appreciated. :D

Maybe Brown is the reason why Dowling was ultimately cut. Brown has proved to be dependable, only missing one game in his entire career.

While I would love to take a shot on Sheldon Brown, that one game that you mentioned came late last year when he suffered a very significant concussion.

There has to be more than meets the eye with Brown because as of last year's game vs DAL around the middle of November, he had not given up one passing TD through the air. He also had a pretty low QB against rating that was in the top 10 in the entire NFL. He didn't finish up quite as good as the first 9-10 games of the season, as he ended up giving up 3 TD's after that and also suffered a pretty bad concussion.

The Browns didn't hesitate for one second with their decision to cut him, so my guess is that there may be more behind the scenes that we're aware of. It's also very strange that no other NFL team seemed to even be remotely interested in him this offseason. He's durable, he's going to come pretty cheap, and he has the experience and versatility to play both CB/S. Something doesn't seem right.

What a terrible pick. I needed people to rationalize to me why he was worth picking, and now the guy is the gone. What a waste of pick, there were so many good players available at 33.

You can't see it, but I'm shaking my head right now. I'm shaking my head with a disappointed look.

They should stick to trading their draft picks for CBs instead of taking flyers on questionable candidates. Aside from McCourty who found a different position, the revolving door in the secondary has been impressive. I can't even remember all of them lately... Meri, Chung, Wheatley, wilhite, bodden, butler, dowling, etc etc. that's a lot of ammo that could have improved the team elsewhere.

He's damaged goods so there was no point in delaying the inevitable. He was never going to make an impact with the Patriots with his perpetual injuries.

I had high hopes for him coming into this season but once I saw he got injured again I knew his days with the Patriots were numbered.

Unfortunate, but it needed to be done.

the only thing that sucks about this is the fact that he was Drafted so high the first pick in the 2th round, there was so many players they could have taken, pass rusher ( Jabaal Sheard ) WR ( Torrey Smith, Randall Cobb ) G (Stefen Wisniewski ) but it is what it is

The same could be said for just about every team in the league. And if the team sours on Logan Ryan as the 4th guy you might see that. But they aren't going to snag a vet to be the 5th CB.

But they would snag a vet to be the backup outside CB which i'm guessing they were hoping Dowling could have been this year, which would leave Arrington as the nickel, while bringing Ryan along slowly.

Then there is still a huge question around Dennard and if the State of Nebraska gets their way he will be unavailable until probably Week 7, assuming Lord Goodell doesn't suspend him, then the team is down to
Talib
Arrington
Ryan
Cole
Week 1 against the Bills and honestly that's what they are down to anyways, I just don't see Dennard being active for that game even if he goes to Nebraska on Sept 6th and things go his way.

And Stephon Morris was brought in strictly so Bill could put someone out there instead of risk Talib.

Here are a couple more nice stats regarding Brown's play last season:

--he allowed 5 catches+ only three times last season

--he held his target to under 60 yds receiving in 13/15 games

And here's the main knocks:

--34 yrs old, has lost a step or two

--rumored to be coming off a pretty nasty concussion that occurred at the end of the season

--gave up a ton of penalties last season (9)

(stats courtesy of sportsnation.com--my assumption is that they likely use PFF's DB system, so take it w/ a grain of salt)

Any chance he can make the PS? I'd just like to see the guy when healthy. Looks like all the defending of the guy blew up and the haters were right... he just couldn't stay on the field.

In the defense of the scouting Dept. I just had a look and i couldn't see any really. have there been any DB's picked after Ras-I in that draft that are starting CB's in the league at the moment?

They should stick to trading their draft picks for CBs instead of taking flyers on questionable candidates. Aside from McCourty who found a different position, the revolving door in the secondary has been impressive. I can't even remember all of them lately... Meri, Chung, Wheatley, wilhite, bodden, butler, dowling, etc etc. that's a lot of ammo that could have improved the team elsewhere.
Yes, every team could have vastly improved their team if they only spent picks on players that were good and traded the rest. Belichick also didn't have much success with TEs before Gronk or much success with pass rushers before Jones. Should he have traded those picks for veterans instead?

Any chance he can make the PS? I'd just like to see the guy when healthy. Looks like all the defending of the guy blew up and the haters were right... he just couldn't stay on the field.

In the defense of the scouting Dept. I just had a look and i couldn't see any really. have there been any DB's picked after Ras-I in that draft that are starting CB's in the league at the moment?

Other than Chris Culliver and Richard Sherman there's not much.

All this nonsense and revisionist history about whether they should or should not have drafted Dowling, or drafted/trade for someone else with the pick needs to stop.

The draft is a crapshoot - anyone could be a bust or a star. There's no point in dwelling on what could have been or who the Patriots could have had instead. It's not going to change anything. So move on instead this hindsight is 20/20 foolishness.

Well, Richard Sherman for one. Other than that, it doesn't look like it.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back