PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Mac Jones Likely a Trade Candidate this Offseason

There are no Mac guys in the locker room. Did you read Judon's open comments to the press? Damning.

Baker Mayfield and Geno Smith may be better QBs than all the guys I mentioned, but how were they ruined? Baker had several years to show what he could do and he did well.

In fact, he had much better years than the year he had this year.

These comparisons are mind boggling, to say the least. Mayfield was a bonafide QB putting together several seasons.

He had 75 TDs and 43 INTs in his first 3 seasons. Compare that to Mac Jones. Mayfield had a 96 rating in his 3rd yr.

I did I saw the complete Judon interview. He was damning to both Mac and Zappe. He was asked specifically about Mac and the part of his response that was quoted was only the response about Mac. But he went on to say whether it is Mac or Zappe who might be the starter next year, they both need to step up because both underachieved but both are capable to be successful starters.

But even so, Judon is one out of 53 players. He doesn't represent the locker room. I guarantee you there are Mac guys in the locker room who believe he got a raw deal and Belichick ruined him. How many? Who knows? But you have no proof the entire locker room turned against Mac.

And you asked me to give examples of QBs who were ruined by bad teams and turned their career when they left that team. You didn't ask for someone who was as bad as Mac Jones who turned it around.

Do you have to start a thread everytime there's a news article that we all can see? There's already a Mac trade thread dude.
Most interesting observation in this article was Jones himself hinting he knows he’s going elsewhere.

Last edited:
I did I saw the complete Judon interview. He was damning to both Mac and Zappe. He was asked specifically about Mac and the part of his response that was quoted was only the response about Mac. But he went on to say whether it is Mac or Zappe who might be the starter next year, they both need to step up because both underachieved but both are capable to be successful starters.

But even so, Judon is one out of 53 players. He doesn't represent the locker room. I guarantee you there are Mac guys in the locker room who believe he got a raw deal and Belichick ruined him. How many? Who knows? But you have no proof the entire locker room turned against Mac.

And you asked me to give examples of QBs who were ruined by bad teams and turned their career when they left that team. You didn't ask for someone who was as bad as Mac Jones who turned it around.
I don't think those players qualified because the teams that drafted them didn't ruin them, as I showed, except for Testaverde, who was saved by Belichick.

How can you say Mayfield was ruined when he had such good seasons?

Young was traded really early.

If Judon is saying that openly, the situation is much worse. Again, I'm not even a Zappe fan, so that doesn't matter to me. Im not saying these things because I want Zappe to play (though I do think Zappe has team support from players).

But he went on to say whether it is Mac or Zappe who might be the starter next year, they both need to step up because both underachieved but both are capable to be successful starters.
Jones maybe if he gets his head on straight and it’s better if that happens somewhere else anyway. Zappe not a chance… not much talent, not an NFL level QB.

Last edited:
I don't think those players qualified because the teams that drafted them didn't ruin them, as I showed, except for Testaverde, who was saved by Belichick.

How can you say Mayfield was ruined when he had such good seasons?

Young was traded really early.

If Judon is saying that openly, the situation is much worse. Again, I'm not even a Zappe fan, so that doesn't matter to me. Im not saying these things because I want Zappe to play (though I do think Zappe has team support from players).

Geno Smith was absolutely ruined by the Jets. He was awful with the Jets. Smith was almost out of the league before before he hooked up with the Seahawks.

Mayfield was ruined by the Browns on a lesser level. Mayfield never had good seasons in Cleveland. He had ok seasons. He was more of a disappointment than completely ruined.

But what about guys like Jake Plummer who sucked in Arizona and had some really good years in Denver? Or Steve Young in Tampa? Or Alex Smith in San Fran where he sucked and became a good QB in KC? Or to a lesser extent Drew Brees in San Diego?

Geno Smith was absolutely ruined by the Jets. He was awful with the Jets. Smith was almost out of the league before before he hooked up with the Seahawks.

Mayfield was ruined by the Browns on a lesser level. Mayfield never had good seasons in Cleveland. He had ok seasons. He was more of a disappointment than completely ruined.

But what about guys like Jake Plummer who sucked in Arizona and had some really good years in Denver? Or Steve Young in Tampa? Or Alex Smith in San Fran where he sucked and became a good QB in KC? Or to a lesser extent Drew Brees in San Diego?
I already answered on Young. No, Brees wasn't ruined at all. He was actually traded for a decent pick. Last 2 years at SD he had a 105 and 95 rating, 27 TDs and 7 INTs, and 24 TDs and 14 INTs. He put together 2 really good years right before he was traded. This is good development, is it not?

Geno Smith went backward this yr, he's just a fringe player. Seahawks are looking to upgrade.

Alex Smith was with San Fran for 8 seasons. How is that ruining a guy if the team resigns him and he fulfills his entire 2nd contract with the team?

The Mayfield comment simply has me perplexed. If you compare Mayfield's 1st 3 years to Mac's, they're far and away better. No comparison.

But they are also very good years when compared to the majority of QBs in the rest of the league.

75 Tds, 43 INTs, 11,200 yds.

2 of these seasons were just as good as the one he just had in Tampa Bay. In his first 3 seasons.

Again, I'm not saying there are no examples. I started out by mentioning Plunkett. I agree on Vinny T. (even though it was Belichick who rehabilitated him). But I'm saying these are aberrations. Mac is like Darnold (but Darnold had worse coaches).

They’re not trading Mahomes Jim!

Good sign we're moving on from Mac. I hope it's sooner than later. May help in FAcy not to have him here so as not to scare receivers away.

Correct on all points
Agreed. At this point it's already widely known Mac's on the move. I'd say get what you can get we move on and Mac moves on somewhere to revive his career .

All the locker room Mac guys supporting him after this play saying Bill ruined him. Mac Strong.

All the locker room Mac guys supporting him after this play saying Bill ruined him. Mac Strong.

I think Mac's ready to move on.. like his QBs coach said when Josh left, and Patricia was hired he should have requested a trade. All downhill from there

Didn't Mac have a stinger on that play??

Watching the play again, it sure looks like he was injured. You can't underthrow a pass that badly. It reminded me of Dan Marino in the 1999 Pats home game against the Dolphins.
Agree, he was most def injured but either he didn’t take himself out or we forced him to stay in.

Would love to know what happened.

Most interesting observation in this article was Jones himself hinting he knows he’s going elsewhere.
Yeah but could he have made that call in the “Red Zone”?

Agree, he was most def injured but either he didn’t take himself out or we forced him to stay in.

Would love to know what happened.
The injury occurred in the previous couple of plays and he hadn't thrown a pass since that play, so he must not have realized how it was going to affect him on that pass.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back