PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Edelman has a broken arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we still have Ortiz on the PS? He did alright in the Preseason if I remember right.

It's hard to say. Vrabel had a broken arm back in 2003 and only missed three weeks (the only games he missed in his eight years in Foxboro).

Conversely, other folks have had broken arms and been placed on IR.

I guess we'll have to wait and see and hope for the best.

I'm seeing many comparisons to Poz and Vrabel. The thing is, both are linebackers. We're talking about a receiver here, a guy who needs to use his hands to catch the ball, and block. I'm not saying linebackers don't need their hands to shed blockers etc, but it's a little different. I'd say it would typically take a little longer for a receiver to come back from this. Similar to how it would take a corner longer than offensive lineman with a strained knee ligament. A corner has to make more quick cuts, etc.

Short on receivers with any NFL experience and short on running backs with power...ugh

The sky isn't falling but it is looking very dark and cloudy out there :eek:

uh..before fullblown hysteria sets in...Edelman is a lesser talented mirror of Wes Welker. There are already wr's on the roster slotted outside so somebody gets the chance to step in and step up>Losing Edelman is NOT going to break the NE offense.
It does not break the NE offense, but it does take away valuable developmental time from Edelman. If this had not happened, he could continue to learn through trial by fire, and could develop into a real force by playoff time. Not sure how much this will set back that kind of timetable.

so let me get this right, we've had to suffer:

Mayo was out 4 weeks with a sprained mcl
Fred Taylor out for season(ankle surgery)
Sammy Morris out for season(serious knee injury, I'm assuming ACL)
Julian Edelman--broken arm(out for 5-7 weeks)
Ben Watson--concussion, not sure of his return
Wes Welker--was out with two week knee injury

We are not even at the midway point of the season!
Doesn't sound too bad to me. Other teams have been hit worse, and the Patriots have had worse seasons (such as last year!) We don't have too many players out on IR yet.

Still no other source reporting besides the Herald at 8:12 EST, but here is Reiss' latest tweet on the subject:

@hannable84 I can not confirm the Herald's report. If u were asking me if I thought it was accurate, I would say yes.30 minutes ago from Echofon in reply to hannable84]

I'm still perfectly content for the moment to believe that the Herald took an intrawebs rumour and just ran with it. :D

Last edited:
What is your argument for that?

I think he's just referring to what people here thought in the off/pre-season. Pretty sure he's just being sarcastic.

I think he's just referring to what people here thought in the off/pre-season. Pretty sure he's just being sarcastic.

Okay I missed that one.

Reiss just twittered that he knows about Edelman but has been unable to confirm it and "has no reason to believe that the report is inaccurate."

In fact I first read about it from another source (SHoH) before it came out, so at this point it is most likely true.

Last edited:
Too bad. Pozluzny broke his arm Week 1 and returned Week 5 so Edelman could be back soon after the bye depending on how it heals.

We'd have to be desperate to do that unless there's complications. A broken bone is usually 6 weeks or so and Poz came back quicker than that. Edelman should be back around Week 12.

It's hard to say. Vrabel had a broken arm back in 2003 and only missed three weeks (the only games he missed in his eight years in Foxboro).

I don't think a receiver like Edelman would be much use coming back in 3-6 weeks with a honking club or padding encasing his lower arm like Vrabel or Poz.

Good. If things play out just right, we could be getting him and Fred Taylor back in time for a playoff push. However, with this team and injuries, I doubt things play out just right. :(

Conversely, other folks have had broken arms and been placed on IR.

Probably closer to accurate.

Okay I missed that one.

Reiss just twittered that he knows about Edelman but has been unable to confirm it and "has no reason not to believe that the report is inaccurate."

In fact I first read about it from another source (SHoH) before it came out, so at this point it is most likely true.

So Reiss doesn't buy it... or... yeah. Things.

Probably closer to accurate.

I don't think this is likely to be true, at least not yet, since the Pats had to have known about this when they cut Galloway. If they expected him to be out for too long, they could have just put him on IR.

So Reiss doesn't buy it... or... yeah. Things.

No, he just can't prove it. This is his latest on the matter:

"I can not confirm the Herald's report. If u were asking me if I thought it was accurate, I would say yes."

I just got home from work and almost thought I would be reading about a trade, the apparent broken arm of Edelman isn't good news...

I don't think this is likely to be true, at least not yet, since the Pats had to have known about this when they cut Galloway. If they expected him to be out for too long, they could have just put him on IR.

Yeah, I think they'll keep him off IR and he'll be back by mid-December.

But last year they IR'd Adalius Thomas for a broken arm after keeping him on the roster for several weeks, so you never know.

Looks like it'll be the Aiken, Nunn, and Tate show once Brady reads past Moss and Welker.

Although, frankly, if the Brady from last week--the on-target Brady, the Brady of 2007--is finally back, it really won't matter if we have Clay Aiken, the Flying Nunn, and Jessica Tate at WR. (Bonus points if you're old enough to remember "Soap".)

Oh yes.... with a very young Billy Chrystal..... that was a GREAT series, way ahead of it's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft