PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss unretired (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. I am not sure how many posts on here are correct, only part correct, pure speculation, or total BS.

People need to stop this Lloyd isn't coming here because of Condon. The Pats tried to trade for Lloyd last year while Condon was still his agent. Lloyd just didn't want to sign a long term deal because he felt he would get a better deal this offseason. The Pats didn't want to trade for him without a long term deal.

i agree Lloyd is not going to be a pat Welker will be makeing close to 10 million next year and Lloyd is going to want 6+ million a year, paying 16+ million to two WR's in there 30's is just not the way to bulid a SB team IMO

i agree Lloyd is not going to be a pat Welker will be makeing close to 10 million next year and Lloyd is going to want 6+ million a year, paying 16+ million to two WR's in there 30's is just not the way to bulid a SB team IMO
As opposed to recently drafting wide receivers in consecutive years in the third round of the NFL Draft, only to cut them both after two seasons?

As opposed to recently drafting wide receivers in consecutive years in the third round of the NFL Draft, only to cut them both after two seasons?

if a team can stop your running game and your QB with a 3 and 4 man front i dont care who you have at WR you ant going to score 20 points that why i think that money should go on defense and maybe a RB that can give u 20 att and 80 yards a game

if a team can stop your running game and your QB with a 3 and 4 man front i dont care who you have at WR you ant going to score 20 points that why i think that money should go on defense and maybe a RB that can give u 20 att and 80 yards a game

True, I've written a couple of times that a bonafied running back is essential for picking up that crucial 1st down. Have to keep opposing D honest moving chains and running down clock for more of Brady taking a knee rather than a forced or desperate pass. I thought that Matt Forte would have been a great addition but I know with cap money it would be hard to $ign him with our other priorities. I think Forte was tagged already not sure.

It's a pretty big deal as even Reiss puts it:

The more and more i read...the more i see even Randy Moss back here..before lloyd

Even if Lloyd isn't an option, there are plenty of options far better than Moss on the open market.

Other than Mike Florio saying the Pats "like" Moss because of what he did after Myra Kraft died, I have not heard anything about the Pats being interested. In fact, the opposite. We are hearing rumors (by Jason Cole for one) that other teams like the 9ers and Jets are interested, but nothing about the Pats. I don't see him coming back.

Lloyd can want all he wants. He actually has to find someone to pay him that. I don't think there is going to be a huge market for him. First, this free agency is flooded with good to great WRs. Second, I think he is a guy who many people are going to think is a product of a system and not want to pay him the money.

I don't care if it is Lloyd, but there are far too many good to great free agent WRs to wasting time on a retread like Moss. Moss will go to a team like the Jets who are up against the cap and cannot go after the better free agents. The Pats have the luxury even if they franchise Welker to go after at least a WR of the Reggie Wayne or Robert Meachum caliber (neither my preference, but far better options than Moss). They could even pay for a Bowe or Vincent Jackson if they wished.

There are ton of good WRs on the market. I don't know why people want to keep going back to Moss especially when we last saw him on this team he looked completely toast. People want to say it was just an attitude problem and he will be great next year, but there is no evidence to support that an 35 year old deep threat WR who has been out of football for a year can return to be remotely as good as he once was. Are the Pats really going to pass on a legitimate outside/deep threat WR so they can find out in training camp and the preseason if Moss can still play? I doubt they add a good free agent WR AND Moss. It will be either or. That means that if the Pats gamble and fail on Moss, they are stuck another year without a legitimate outside/deep threat.

Even if Lloyd isn't an option, there are plenty of options far better than Moss on the open market.
Other than Mike Florio saying the Pats "like" Moss because of what he did after Myra Kraft died, I have not heard anything about the Pats being interested. In fact, the opposite. We are hearing rumors (by Jason Cole for one) that other teams like the 9ers and Jets are interested, but nothing about the Pats. I don't see him coming back.

I dont think that's true. IF Ocho goes, and maybe even Branch, the pats are going to be thin at WR. They would hopefully sign an expensive free agent, draft a wr and still have a need. Moss for 1 year, at a low salary would probably be the best option.

I dont think that's true. IF Ocho goes, and maybe even Branch, the pats are going to be thin at WR. They would hopefully sign an expensive free agent, draft a wr and still have a need. Moss for 1 year, at a low salary would probably be the best option.

There are at least a dozen street free agents better than Moss. Not all are outside/ deep threats, but there are plenty of good WRs out there. At this point, we don't know if Moss is an upgrade over Slater nermind any of the street free agents. People need to accept that Moss is 35, missed a year of football, and was useless his last year in the league.

Here are the free agent WRs who are/might be better than Moss right now:

Vincent Jackson
Dwayne Bowe
Marques Colston
Brandon Lloyd
Reggie Wayne
Desean Jackson
Stevie Johnson (he means more to the AFC East teams because he frequently beats Revis)
Robert Meachum
Laurent Robinson
Pierre Garcon
Mario Manningham

Not all are the same type of receiver, but all are mostly better options than Moss. Not all these guys will be high priced.

Last edited:
I could see TB over paying for Lloyd...as the have $60 mill

There are at least a dozen street free agents better than Moss. Not all are outside/ deep threats, but there are plenty of good WRs out there. At this point, we don't know if Moss is an upgrade over Slater nermind any of the street free agents. People need to accept that Moss is 35, missed a year of football, and was useless his last year in the league.

Here are the free agent WRs who are/might be better than Moss right now:

Vincent Jackson
Dwayne Bowe
Marques Colston
Brandon Lloyd
Reggie Wayne
Desean Jackson
Stevie Johnson (he means more to the AFC East teams because he frequently beats Revis)
Robert Meachum
Laurent Robinson
Pierre Garcon
Mario Manningham

Not all are the same type of receiver, but all are mostly better options than Moss. Not all these guys will be high priced.

We can cross about half, if not more off that list. Most will be top dollar wr, or franchie tagged. Stevie Johnson can keep his drops and T-Shirts in buffalo.

Moss is going to be cheap.

The REAL question is, when Moss comes in as the 3rd or 4th WR here, (like so many say he should be) how will you all react when he beats out everyone and is once again the number 1 target?

I could see TB over paying for Lloyd...as the have $60 mill

You think Tom Brady is going to pay Lloyd out of his own pocket? Dang..he must really want him.

That was comedy, tnx for the link. How bout those magnifying glasses he put on, lol

Some highlights for folks who missed it:
-Randy is on his way to go to the Bahamas tomorrow for vacation with Kevin Faulk, Vince Wilfork and their families.
-Said he can still run a 4.3 40.
-He said he'd take Brady over Joe Montana.
-He said that Bill is the greatest coach in NFL history.
-Also said that Bill is the best coach he's ever head and taught him otherwise (when he was arrogant thinking he knew all coming from Oakland).

We can cross about half, if not more off that list. Most will be top dollar wr, or franchie tagged. Stevie Johnson can keep his drops and T-Shirts in buffalo.

Moss is going to be cheap.

The REAL question is, when Moss comes in as the 3rd or 4th WR here, (like so many say he should be) how will you all react when he beats out everyone and is once again the number 1 target?

You are delirious if you think that Moss is a #1 target. If the Pats thought that, he wouldn't have sat out the year. In fact, if they thought he would be a good #3 or #4 WR, Moss would have probably been back. Everything we hear from or about Moss was that he desperately wanted to return to the Pats.

If Moss was to turn into anything remotely close to what he was in 2007 for the Pats' next year, I would be ecstatic. I am a realist though. I saw what he was in 2010 and am not going to make ludicrous excuses for the guy why he underperformed that year and why even though the Pats "wanted him back" in 2011 that he sat out the entire year.

The resign Moss crowd have been begging for him to return for over year now when it seems pretty clear that the Pats have moved on and Moss may be in fact done as a player.

One thing I will agree with is a lot of the WRs listed will not be on the Pats' radar. I am just saying they are better options than Moss. The only two I see franchised are possibly Bowe and Johnson. The only way any of the other WRs get franchised is if the Saints sign Brees to a long term deal and they decide to franchise Colston over Carl Nicks. I also think Stevie Johnson drops a lot of balls and that would be a reason for concern and probably pass on him, but him being able to spank Revis on a consistent basis is worth looking at. I think he will be franchised though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference