PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random Patriots thoughts for the early 2018 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Just some things that were on my mind. This Patriots offense will have a lot of new faces early. The only guys who will come in here opening day within the Brady circle of trust are Gronk, White and Hogan and maybe Burkhead. I would hope they don't plan to feed Gronk the ball 10 times a game in the first quarter of the season so we may see a few growing pains until Edelman is back.

The thing to watch the most of course will be the OL and LT in particular. Hopefully Cannon, Thuney, Mason and Andrews are back and 100% but there will still be some getting into the flow for Cannon who may be rusty. I hope to see good things for Wynn and I want him to get use to the LT position ASAP with a TE babysitter.

The first 2 games are Houston and the Jags so the pass protection will be tested instantly. Houston should have a healthy Watt and the young improving Clowney who had his first legit very good year last year. After those 2 they get a break with Indy/Detroit/Miami who are not likely to bring a ton of heat. That would be a good time to test Wynn and let the training wheels off more.

On defense is it good we are facing 2 top AFC threats early as Hightower is likely to be 100% for those games. Hopefully BB doesn't bring preseason into the first 4 weeks again. I could see both the Jags and Texans vying for top seeds and we want the tie breaker on both.

The main issues on the Patriots early will be how the CBs look with new additions Dawson and McCourty. I think McCourty will be ready to go but Dawson is a big wildcard here.

The good news is neither team really has a great slot WR threat. Gilmore finished last year very strong and I think him vs Hopkins be a fantastic match to see.

The other thing to watch on D early is the DEs. How much do Rivers and Wise jump out to us. We know Flowers is one of the most underrated players in the NFL and he will get paid next year but we need more pass rush options. To me the last key game in the early part of the year will be KC. I think that is one they have circled at game 6 as wanting to avenge last years loss.

I do think we won't see much of Sony early as rookie RBs can run out of gas on a long schedule and particularly if the Patriots need to play 19 games. That is why I didn't mention him early.

Last edited:
I could see both the Jags and Texans vying for top seeds and we want the tie breaker on both.

Nice overall summary. On an unrelated note, I was wondering if you’d like to place a bet with me. :)

Just some things that were on my mind. This Patriots offense will have a lot of new faces early. The only guy who will come in here opening day within the Brady circle of trust are Gronk, White and Hogan and maybe Burkhead. I would hope they don't plan to feed Gronk the ball 10 times a game in the first quarter of the season so we may see a few growing pains until Edelman is back.
I agree. I cringe when Brady forces the ball into Gronk too much. If they do this, it's only a matter of time a defender goes at his knees and K.O.'s his season. If his contract situation hasn't been taken care of, you can bet Gronk is as good as gone as he will not report to camp until he's paid. This offseason will look like child's play compared to next offseason.

The thing to watch the most of course will be the OL and LT in particular. Hopefully Cannon, Thuney, Mason and Andrews are back and 100% but there will still be some getting into the flow for Cannon who may be rusty. I hope to see good things for Wynn and I want him to get use to the LT position ASAP with a TE babysitter.
I'm confident in Trent Brown. I think fans will see how good he is in both the run and passing game.

The first 2 games are Houston and the Jags so the pass protection will be tested instantly. Houston should have a healthy Watt and the young improving Clowney who had his first legit very good year last year. After those 2 they get a break with Indy/Detroit/Miami who are not likely to bring a ton of heat. That would be a good time to test Wynn and let the training wheels off more.
I think the Pats are getting the Texans at the right time as Watson could be rusty.

On defense is it good we are facing 2 top AFC threats early as Hightower is likely to be 100% for those games. Hopefully BB doesn't bring preseason into the first 4 weeks again. I could see both the Jags and Texans vying for top seeds and we want the tie breaker on both.
I don't think the Texans will be that good this year but they will beat up the Jaguars. I also think Andrew Luck will dread facing both Jacksonville and Houston twice this year. He's going to take a lot of hits and wouldn't surprise if his career is over in 2-3 years.

The Main issues on the Patriots early with be how the CBs look with new additions Dawson and McCourty. I think McCourty will be ready to go but Dawson is a big wildcard here.
It would be a big boost if we could get anything out of Cyrus Jones and Dawson.

The good news is neither team really has a great slot WR threat. Gilmore finished last year very strong and I think him vs Hopkins be a fantastic match to see.
That will be a good match up for sure.

The other thing to watch on D early is the DEs. How much do Rivers and Wise jump out to us. We know Flowers is one of the most underrated players in the NFL and he will get paid next year but we need more pass rush options. To me the last key game in the early part of the year will be KC. I think that is one they have circled at game 6 as wanting to avenge last years loss.
If Flowers thinks he's going to get top money for a DE, then you can kiss him goodbye after this season. If they wouldn't pay the shirtless man, then they certainly won't pay him. It will be interesting to see how Wise Jr. progresses in year 2. Hopefully he's worked on other ways to attack the QB rather than his sprinting move. And does anybody have any info on Rivers? What the hell is he doing?

I do think we won't see much of Sony early as rookie RBs can run out of gas on a long schedule and particularly if the Patriots need to play 19 games. That is why I didn't mention him early.
They'll probably bring him along slowly but he will get plenty of playing time.

You make some excellent points but Michel is where we differ. Run blocking is easier than pass blocking and it helps a line gel. In the absence of a slot binky running the ball is also pretty fair antidote for slowing a ferocious pass rush. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats pounding the ball out of the gate and backing it down in the less demanding part of the schedule particularly once Edelman gets back.

When do you expect Edelman to return? My expectation has been that he’ll be in good form week 1.
He's suspended 4 games.

He's suspended 4 games.

For someone who is usually so literal that's an interesting observation. It's a pending suspension, some folks might believe the suspension may not stand, 'There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip' after all.

Last edited:
I would like to see Gronk targeted 10 times every game.

OMFG I completely repressed that. I was just thinking about his injury. I'm serious!

OK me, get it together.

And here I was ascribing some optimism to you, my bad.

I'd comfortable with Brown at LT and Wynn at LG, but I'll be interested to see what they do when Thuney's back in the lineup. Scar said during rookie minicamp that he's looking forward to seeing Wynn at tackle, and after he was drafted he was introduced as a tackle.
I could see them using Wynn at LG most of this season, and then moving him to LT next year if/when Brown darts in free agency. But no matter what they do, this should be one of the more interesting offensive lines in recent memory.

When do you expect Edelman to return? My expectation has been that he’ll be in good form week 1.

I am figuring the 4 game suspension is upheld. He looks healthy. Personally I am happy for him to get those 4 games off. I would like to give Gronk some games off too but it isn't my call. We all know as long as Brady plays like Brady they will get a top 2 seed regardless of if Edelman and Gronk play 16 game each or 12 games each.

Will this be the year Belichick utilizes a 3-back set here and there?

I've been waiting years for it ... I think the backs we have bring it close to reality.

What happened to the appeal??

This is what's happening to the appeal...

clowndetail_grande.png

...it just hasn't been made official yet

Will this be the year Belichick utilizes a 3-back set here and there?

I've been waiting years for it ... I think the backs we have bring it close to reality.
Wishbone? Did we sign Jamielle Holieway??

This thread is so much better than the other offseason threads where people think we’re interested in their political opinions.

Sure. What kind of bet :)

I just strongly suspect Jacksonville is an average team at best and will pay this year for having a garbage quarterback with a tougher schedule. I’d be really surprised if they are a contender again. Their over/under is 8. I can see the optimism with Houston if Watson is close to his 2017 form and they aren’t racked by injuries, but I still think it’s a huge stretch they’d likely be contending for playoff seeding against the Patriots. Watson looked great, but they were 3-3 with him and 1-9 without him. Their over/under is 9. If neither of those teams are in the playoffs, I would not be surprised at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe