PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random football thoughts that don't deserve it's own thread.

This is one of the thoughts that does deserve it's own thread, but I'll settle for a mention of it here.

One of my favorite Pats players had his Pats HOF celebration yesterday. The Pats lost a heart-breaker.

The last time they had a day for him was his retirement ceremony in 2008 at Gillette during halftime against the Jets. The Pats lost a heart-breaker.

Troy Brown helped give the Pats so many wins that it would have been great to give him one back.

Kudos to the Cards. They earned that win.

I'm already tired of the replacement refs, or scabs if you're a union type. The Jets game was a case study of the difference.

Coming soon to an NFL stadium near you; Four hour games.

Holding on any play should only be a 5 yard penalty. In the current ticky-tack world of the NFL, 10 is too many yards. I won't even bother to get into the 50+ we see on some plays.

Sanchez really isn't that good. He was certainly not worth whatever picks the Jets gave up to take him.

Speaking of the Jets, Santonio Holmes isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is. He can be, but just isn't most of the time.

Imho, the four team division setup that the NFL uses now is terrible. I don't feel it's right to reward mediocrity.

I also don't care for the term World Champions for a team that plays in and wins a league of 32 teams in one region of the world. NFL Champs is much more accurate and sounds less arrogant.

Big Ben is one tough sob to bring down.

Anyone else remember the shot of Brady and Welker on the bench and Tom was being very animated while Wes just looked off into the distance in the opposite direction? I found that somewhat odd. Seemed like a disconnect between the two.

When are they going to put the kickoffs back to the 30? Watching 50% of kickoffs sail out of the endzone and another 25% being caught with the retuner pinned against the backline is getting tiring.

Ridley is an exciting running but I'm tired of him getting stopped for big losses. They totally destroy the offensive rhythm. I think I prefer the Law Firm and his consistent 3 yard gainers. Kept the offense moving, albiet slowly.

Ridley is an exciting running but I'm tired of him getting stopped for big losses. They totally destroy the offensive rhythm. I think I prefer the Law Firm and his consistent 3 yard gainers. Kept the offense moving, albiet slowly.

2:20 in the 2nd quarter:

cimWK.jpg
hG3Mb.jpg

There were four cardinals in the backfield, and Thomas in particular completely whiffed. There's no way that any reasonable observer can pin that one-yard loss on Ridley. He didn't hesitate, the blocking was just terrible. If anything, I'd blame McDaniels for attempting an outside run to the right, when at that point it was clearly evident that Thomas sucks.

10:28 in the third quarter:

zFYSZ.png

Daryl Washington comes through the line completely untouched and blows the play up in the backfield

Gg7WF.png

Ridley was leveled by Washington barely over a second after receiving the handoff. Again, terrible blocking, no hesitation on Ridley's part.

12:37 in the fourth quarter:

gWMo3.jpg

As Ridley is receiving the handoff, the entire right side of the line has already been pushed two yards into the backfield. Had Ridley tried to plow forward, he would have run directly into his blocker's back. Again, for some reason McDaniels thought it would be a good idea to run behind them.

I'm honestly kind of dumbfounded that this "Ridley is more explosive, but BJGE was more consistent" narrative is gaining any traction at all, because it should be pretty obvious to anyone who's watching the games that it's simply not the case. Compared to last season, the Patriots' line is currently downgraded at all five positions: Light to Solder at LT, healthy Mankins to less-than-100% Mankins at LG, Connolly to Wendell at C, Waters to Thomas at RG, and Solder to Vollmer/Cannon at RT. Waters to Thomas, in particular, is a downgrade that's just about impossible to overstate- from one of the very best guards in the game to a JAG. BJGE, running behind this offensive line, would have at least as many negative plays as Ridley has had. Conversely, if Ridley was currently running behind last year's line, he'd be that much better.

In other words, it's impossible to evaluate this year's running game versus past seasons' without taking line disparity into account, because this is the worst offensive line that the Patriots have had in a long time, and they're particularly susceptible to teams that have athletic, penetrating DTs like the Cardinals (and Giants) do. If you need further evidence of how thoroughly the Pats' o-line was dominated, look to the four sacks on Brady.

The fact that Ridley is having this kind of Production behind an average-on-a-good day offensive line is actually pretty remarkable. He's better behind a questionable line than BJGE was behind one of the best in the business. Now, it's just time for the Patriots to do whatever it takes to get Waters back here, then pray that Vollmer and Mankins get back to 100% and Solder stays healthy. If it takes some extra money for Waters, then so be it - take it out of the "let's make sure our GOAT quarterback doesn't get killed" fund.

Last edited:
I'm not too worried about the OLine IF Vollmer can stay in there. Line play and chemistry takes time to develop. I'll hold off on my predictions for the line until week 5 or 6, even though it looks bad now.

Arizona guessed right on a few run blitzes in the game too. Sent Ridley for big losses. Especially later in the game, they were ready for Ridley to get it and they were selling out. That was a rarity with Benji in the backfield.

Maybe it's not Ridley that's inconsistent then. Maybe it's the line. They opened up some big holes for Ridley yesterday too. At times they looked solid in pass protection, giving him plenty of time and allowing him to step up in the pocket; however on a few critical plays they allowed pressure.

Maybe it's not Ridley that's inconsistent then. Maybe it's the line. They opened up some big holes for Ridley yesterday too. At times they looked solid in pass protection, giving him plenty of time and allowing him to step up in the pocket; however on a few critical plays they allowed pressure.

Four of the 5 starters yesterday did not start last year and the 5th is coming back after knee surgery.

I think you are on to something.:rofl:

Id like to see a rule installed to stop this new breed of wr's *****ing and moaning for pass interference. I'm starting to think I'm watching an Nba game where the players think they are fouled every time they touch the ball.

Can someone explain to me why/how the blocked punt in the Cardinals game wasn't negated by a running into the kicker call? I've seen it called for less contact than Mesko got. :confused:

As long as the kick is blocked before the contact they are ok. That was as legit a block as there is. After that blockers can pancake the poor guy if he gets in the way. Ebner has got to do better.

More of a random forum thought than a random football thought: what's the over/under on the number of threads started this week about Wes Welker and his role/playing time on the team? I'm thinking by the time the next game kicks off it could easily be up over fifty.

I guess one positive is that we now have that 16-0 monkey off our backs.

How many times, over the past 11 years, have the Patriots had two good shots to win the game late, and still did not. I can't think of any.

Christopher Price has a column on Ravens' head coach John Harbaugh, who talks about the no huddle, Bill Belichick, Chandler Jones and more.

It Is What It Is » John Harbaugh says one reason Ravens have gone no-huddle is because of Patriots

“We’ve seen the success a lot of teams have had with (the no huddle) and we’ve had to defend it,” Harbaugh said on a conference call with reporters on Wednesday. “We’ve always had it as part of what we’re doing. There were a lot of factors that came together to move us in that direction, but every week is different. Every game plan is different. I would say a lot of what the Patriots have done over the years has been something that’s positively influenced us in that direction.”

How far back does your relationship with Bill Belichick go?

“Well, he may not remember this, but originally, probably around ’91, ’92, somewhere around there he was coaching the Browns and he came to the University of Cincinnati when I was a young coach there and he was scouting some of our players. We had a chance to sit down and talk about those guys. He and Scott O’Brien were really close and Scott was a mentor for me coming up early on there and always has been, actually. So we had that connection and that’s where I first met him. Obviously I was in awe of the man at the time and that probably hasn’t changed too much.”

How many times, over the past 11 years, have the Patriots had two good shots to win the game late, and still did not. I can't think of any.

I can think of more than a couple of games, however, during which they had shots to seal
the victory late, but didn't do their jobs and eventually lost.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back