PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Props to Guyton

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerPatriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I like this kid's moxie. He's had a lot placed on his shoulders in a short amount of time and it's pretty clear he has responded. It's not perfect play by any means but he had some nice moments yesterday and played solidly in the Falcons game.

What I also like about him is he is also young enough to still have some upside left in him. Don't think he's hit his ceiling yet.

Hard to tell if he has made any mistakes, but overall very pleased with his leadership role out there...

I think he is good and is no Mayo . But he is going to be a solid ILB as he learns. He blew the coverage on the rice long run. Just a bad angle.

He seems a little slow in reading but his speed helping him a bunch. He will get better with more experience .

satz

makes me happy to know him & Mayo will be on the field at the same time soon :D

also a good role player for covering backs

Last edited:
I think he is good and is no Mayo . But he is going to be a solid ILB as he learns. He blew the coverage on the rice long run. Just a bad angle.

He seems a little slow in reading but his speed helping him a bunch. He will get better with more experience .

satz

I thought he read that 4th and 1 rush attempt pretty well.

I thought he read that 4th and 1 rush attempt pretty well.

As i said he is not 100% there . He is not mayo who had some crazy instincts and mental aptitude to read what is going on.

In the 4th and 1 they got him and mcgown to shoot the gap with merriweather on the line. He just rushed his gap.

Last March, when Guyton earned a $210K playing time bonus (from the "performance-based pay" system), his agent said:

"Gary felt redeemed because he thought he would be drafted last year, and now he got paid commensurate with his abilities," said his agent, Richard Kopelman. "He told me he plans to get more next year because he plans to work that much harder."

So far, he's well on his way to that: according to Reiss, since Mayo's injury, Guyton hasn't missed a single snap.

I have to agree with most of the posts. He has done a very good job filling in for Mayo and has got better every week. He is a bit slow with his reads, but definitely makes up for it with his speed. Getting better with reads will just take time. Guyton and Mayo will be a very good combo on the field once Mayo gets back

For extra props, remember that Guyton started exclusively at OLB in college. Tons of new responsibilities in a short time.

I have to agree with most of the posts. He has done a very good job filling in for Mayo and has got better every week. He is a bit slow with his reads, but definitely makes up for it with his speed. Getting better with reads will just take time. Guyton and Mayo will be a very good combo on the field once Mayo gets back

Guyton is getting priceless on-field experience. Makes him worth more to BB too.

Given Guyton's improvement and the fact that McKenzie looked promising before getting hurt, we should have 3 very good and athletic LBs capable of playing inside in the 3-4 or in the 4-3 scheme next year. That's a pretty solid core. We don't have a typical 3-4 SILB, but I'm not sure we need one.

I absolutely love the kid, even when he makes his mistakes. He's shown quite a bit of quickness and athleticism. He obviously isn't a finished product, but he's on his way.

He's good in coverage. Gave up a 50 yard run to what's his name, rice, who is a very good back btw.

I don't know, BB won't be too happy about that, not strong at the POA.

To put him in perspective, as we all know hes a UFA wholast year played more and more as the season wore on (around 30% of the Ds snaps). He was projected as a borderline starter this year but certainly someone who would get some decent time in the regular defense.

This year, the kid gets thrust into the MIKE and is at least statistically on a pace for 100+ tackles. He played 70 of 70 possible snaps on Sunday and I think had 10 tackles.

Clearly BB loves this guy as he would not have put him in this situation if he didnt think he could make plays and make the calls on the D.

His play has at least lessened the blow of losing Mayo.

For the misses like Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, etc. there is Gary Guyton. what a find!! (Granted he led all LBs in the 40 time at the 2008 combine..)

To put him in perspective, as we all know hes a UFA wholast year played more and more as the season wore on (around 30% of the Ds snaps). He was projected as a borderline starter this year but certainly someone who would get some decent time in the regular defense.

This year, the kid gets thrust into the MIKE and is at least statistically on a pace for 100+ tackles. He played 70 of 70 possible snaps on Sunday and I think had 10 tackles.

Clearly BB loves this guy as he would not have put him in this situation if he didnt think he could make plays and make the calls on the D.

His play has at least lessened the blow of losing Mayo.

For the misses like Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, etc. there is Gary Guyton. what a find!! (Granted he led all LBs in the 40 time at the 2008 combine..)

It's dizzying to think of Mayo and Guyton together again.. Now that his confidence has a big boost as a result of being able to handle mike, how much more confident will he be at will?

When Guyton's job description reverts to his old spot... yikes.

Gary's been my Sophomore Binky since Mini-Camp. I'm super happy to see him playing well and improving so quickly. Sometimes there's just nothing like a trial by fire.

83721153.jpg

Last edited:
Guyton is the man. This guy has just gotten better and better thru last year and the first 1/4 of this season. The more he plays the better he looks. No idea how high the ceiling is on him but he hasn't seemed to reach it yet as he just seems to progress more and more. Him and Mayo are the future and the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back