PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Projo: Fred Taylor will sign with New England [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
done deal per schefter.

Re: ProJo/SMY thinks Fred Taylor will choose the Patriots

Props to SMY and the ProJo for hitting us with this about 12 hours before the others.

Re: ProJo/SMY thinks Fred Taylor will choose the Patriots

The feature back is dead. Situational RB groupings are the future of the position. They are cost-effective, it keeps their health up and it's the most physically taxing position in the game. Taylor will be a very solid contributor to this team.

Very well said.

I think that, all things being equal, a team would rather have an every down back who delivers big numbers regularly, but that is as hard to find in the NFL today as a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning at QB. In the Patriots' case, it's clear that Maroney is not that kind of back and we will never really know whether that's what Piolichick expected of him when they drafted him. Whatever they expected, it didn't turn out that way. Solid and dangerous as a back? Yes. But good for 16 games a season at a high level of productivity? No.

I like this signing. Consistent with the Patriot Way.

The best RB on the roster. Will immediately provide balance to the offense. Just as Moss stretches the field to open up the running game, Taylor will force teams to pay attention to the LOS. Why, you say? Taylor is fifth in NFL history with 311 rushes of 10-plus yards and ranks fourth with 13 rushes of 50-plus yards.

The best RB on the roster. Will immediately provide balance to the offense. Just as Moss stretches the field to open up the running game, Taylor will force teams to pay attention to the LOS. Why, you say? Taylor is fifth in NFL history with 311 rushes of 10-plus yards and ranks fourth with 13 rushes of 50-plus yards.

I really don't think he has that kind of speed anymore... But I think he has pretty good hands. So he will be a multidimensional threat on 1st and 2nd downs which does give the defenses something to think about.

Fred Taylor Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I really don't think he has that kind of speed anymore... But I think he has pretty good hands. [/url]

Yeah, I love when people come in and say "Well, hes got 10K career yards" or anything along those lines.

What hes done in his career is irrelevant. What he can do now is whats important.

The deal is for "somewhere in the vicinity of $2.5M per year" for Fred Taylor on a 2 year deal according to Schefter on NFLN.

Fred Taylor to the Pats was an awesome signing with a low risk/high reward type of impact. For the people that think Taylor doesn't have anything in the tank, he has only carried the ball over 300 times twice in his career. Sure he's been injured some but he hasn't taken as many hits as guys like LT who get close to 400 touches a year. The Pats are not asking Taylor to be a workhorse but a guy that will spell Morris, Maroney and Faulk like they did last year with their RB's. If they guy stays healthy, it will turn out to be a brilliant signing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft