PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Day Results

Jimmie Ward runs back to back 4.47 runs at his pro-day. That's plenty good enough.

Good enough for what? There was never much doubt that he could play.

Getting drafted early. What do you think?

How early is "early"?

Ward was always a day 2 guy, and he's been steadily moving up. Good Senior Bowl. Mayock called him end of the 2nd round and suggested that he could be a "fast riser". His size is a limitation, but he's got good tape. I think top 50 is highly probably, top 40 likely. Anyone in that range has a shot at the 1st round, though I personally think that's a tad rich for Ward. But certainly a possibility.

I think a 4.47 (unofficial) 40 is about par for the course for Ward (I had guessed he would be around 4.5, and his official time could be slightly over 4.5 when adjusted). We know he's a good coverage safety, and that's really his calling card. Anything above 4.6 would have been disappointing. It's not like he blew the 40 out the water (Earl Thomas ran around a 4.38, IIRC).

I'd compare Ward to Louis Delmas from Western Michigan, who went #33 overall in the 2009 draft (a much weaker draft, FWIW). Small school kid, slightly smallest frame, good coverage ability, physical for his size. Delmas was a bit bigger (5' 11 3/8" 202#) and had good numbers (4.52 40, 1.50 10-split, 6.6 3C, 37" VJ, 10'6" BJ).

If I had to guess right now - and it's just a pure guess, this far out from the draft - Ward will end up going early day 2. But he could certainly move up or down from there.

How early is "early"?

Ward was always a day 2 guy, and he's been steadily moving up. Good Senior Bowl. Mayock called him end of the 2nd round and suggested that he could be a "fast riser". His size is a limitation, but he's got good tape. I think top 50 is highly probably, top 40 likely. Anyone in that range has a shot at the 1st round, though I personally think that's a tad rich for Ward. But certainly a possibility.

I think a 4.47 (unofficial) 40 is about par for the course for Ward (I had guessed he would be around 4.5, and his official time could be slightly over 4.5 when adjusted). We know he's a good coverage safety, and that's really his calling card. Anything above 4.6 would have been disappointing. It's not like he blew the 40 out the water (Earl Thomas ran around a 4.38, IIRC).

I'd compare Ward to Louis Delmas from Western Michigan, who went #33 overall in the 2009 draft (a much weaker draft, FWIW). Small school kid, slightly smallest frame, good coverage ability, physical for his size. Delmas was a bit bigger (5' 11 3/8" 202#) and had good numbers (4.52 40, 1.50 10-split, 6.6 3C, 37" VJ, 10'6" BJ).

If I had to guess right now - and it's just a pure guess, this far out from the draft - Ward will end up going early day 2. But he could certainly move up or down from there.

All I said was that it was good enough that he can be drafted where he's currently being projected. In other words he didn't run a 4.75. Not sure why you are being so argumentative about it. "It's not like he blew the 40 out of the water". What? Who said he had?

All I said was that it was good enough that he can be drafted where he's currently being projected. In other words he didn't run a 4.75. Not sure why you are being so argumentative about it. "It's not like he blew the 40 out of the water". What? Who said he had?

I'm not being argumentative. I'm just trying to understand what you meant - it wasn't clear to me. I agree it's plenty "good enough" to keep Ward in the range that he is currently projected.

Jimmie Ward also had a 38" vert.

I don't think once you get out of the top half of the first round that arguing over half a round makes sense and as you get lower probably a full round or more. The difference between a guy drafted at 29 and 45 is pretty slim. Just like later on calling a guy a top of the 6th vs middle of the 7th is in the eye of the beholder.

Jake Mehwort reportedly worked out for teams at center, among other OL positions, at yesterday's Ohio St. Pro Day, impressing Mike Mayock:

One other Buckeyes prospect who impressed Mayock on pro day was OL Jack Mewhort, whom he projects as a second-round draft pick. Mayock was particularly impressed that Mewhort, who played left guard, right guard and left tackle at Ohio State, was able to work out as a center.

"It created a little buzz," Mayock said. "I could see a lot of the offensive line coaches and scouts going, 'Hey, if this kid could play center, literally, he could play all five positions on an NFL offensive line. When you only dress seven offensive linemen on Sundays, his versatility's going to help him."

Mayock: Ohio State's Hyde, Shazier solidify first-round status - NFL.com

Jake Mehwort reportedly worked out for teams at center, among other OL positions, at yesterday's Ohio St. Pro Day, impressing Mike Mayock:

If we are looking for lineman early in the draft, I prefer one that has the ability to play center which is a big need for us.

If we are looking for lineman early in the draft, I prefer one that has the ability to play center which is a big need for us.

Bith Mewhort and Joel Bitonio have worked out at center (Bitonio played it at times during Senior Bowl week). In addition to Weston Richurg, Marcus Martin and Travis Swanson, that's 5 guys in the top 100 with good versatility including the ability to play the pivot.

Aaron Lynch reportedly with a 4.64-4.70 40 and a 29" VJ, per Eric Galko on Twitter.

Aaron Lynch has to be easily the most disappointing prospect in this class. Even Colt Lyerla managed to not get worse and worse.

Darqueze Dennard jumps 36" vert and 11-2 broad. That broad would have been #1 at combine.

Anthony Barr reportedly with a 4.45 40 at UCLA's Pro Day today, per Josh Norris on Twitter.

Bith Mewhort and Joel Bitonio have worked out at center (Bitonio played it at times during Senior Bowl week). In addition to Weston Richurg, Marcus Martin and Travis Swanson, that's 5 guys in the top 100 with good versatility including the ability to play the pivot.

I usually favor drafting interior OL in later rounds. But with no more Koppen or Wendell, I think the pivot position becomes very important for us. I'd like to add a solid center prospect as early as round 3. I wonder who BB likes best amongst those guys - swanson, martin, richburg, bitonio, mewhort?

Anyways I'm not a huge fan of OL workouts. As long as they are not abnormally bad results, I believe the film tells you the most about these guys.

Still stinging over that loss to Denver and how our interior got crushed by the likes of Terrance Knighton.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/terra...r-broncos-afc-championship-super-bowl-xlviii/

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back