PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Day Results

If Bridgewater tumbles to #29, I hold an auction. If I don't get a package I like, I take him as the Pats QB of the future and unload Mallett.
I fully understand that on draft day, discipline, logic and nerve go out the window (at least for some) as testosterone takes over.... but even though
BH20 crapped the bed today he AIN'T slipping down that far

If Bridgewater tumbles to #29, I hold an auction. If I don't get a package I like, I take him as the Pats QB of the future and unload Mallett.
No freakin' way do I want to draft a quarterback with the 29th overall selection. I would rather trade down and at least try to get fair value by the NFL Draft Trade Chart.

Draft Countdown - Trade Value Chart

From Tony Pauline's Pro Day notes on Walter Football:

There was a good crowd on hand at pro-day for Virginia Tech, including San Francisco 49er head coach Jim Harbaugh, Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly, and the team's defensive coordinator, Bill Davis.

Word from pro-day was maligned quarterback Logan Thomas looked terrific. Scouts on hand said Thomas has a wealth of talent and proved as much today. While there were a few poor throws, he was accurate for most of the workout and it was an improvement from his combine performance. Thomas seemed to struggle with his accuracy rolling to his right, as passes seemed to get away from him, but for the most part the reviews have been very positive. Unconfirmed reports have Harbaugh going to lunch with Thomas and his quarterback coach George Whitfield after the workout. Regardless of whether the report is true, I'm told Harbaugh showed a lot of interest in Thomas.

Cornerback Kyle Fuller stood on his combine numbers, but stood out in position drills, catching everything thrown to him. I'm told prior to the workout, Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Bill Davis made a point of introducing Fuller to the teams head coach, Chip Kelly.

I'm told defensive back Antone Exum had a decent day; didn't help or hurt himself. New York Jets secondary coach Dennis Thurman was quoted as saying Exum will be fine once healthy again. Thurman stated he's impressed by Exum's film.

2014 NFL Pro Day Results: WalterFootball.com

Thomas to the 49ers makes a ton of sense. They're setting themselves up to not have to pay Kaepernick a hostage contract like the Ravens did with Flacco and I cannot blame them. He is nowhere near the 18M+ he's been rumored to want. Develop Thomas for a year and worst case franchise Kaepernick and eat the cap hit for a year if needed to let Thomas develop for a second year and then trade Kapernick.

I wonder if the Eagles will draft Fuller in the first. Personally I think he may be a better pro than Dennard or Gilbert. He's every bit as fluid and I think he shows more burst and is more physical.

Mike Mayock was speculating last night that a lot of teams in the top ten have set themselves up to not have to reach on a QB at the top because the positional players are so good. We've all speculated that it would be the smart thing to do but teams get consumed with having to have the QB so do they have the discipline to pass? That's really crappy news for the Pats because the odds of a blue chipper slipping to them or even into the 20's becomes less and less. Flip side some of these same teams that passed will be competing with each other to get back into the first round if enough of these guys slide. So it's likely the Pats miss on Donald and Hageman but perhaps they get a really good set of players at around 37, 62 and 79.

No freakin' way do I want to draft a quarterback with the 29th overall selection. I would rather trade down and at least try to get fair value by the NFL Draft Trade Chart.

Draft Countdown - Trade Value Chart

I'm still a Bridgewater believer and if he were available at 29, it would be the best thing that could happen, and he should be selected immediately if not sooner.

Thomas to the 49ers makes a ton of sense. They're setting themselves up to not have to pay Kaepernick a hostage contract like the Ravens did with Flacco and I cannot blame them. He is nowhere near the 18M+ he's been rumored to want. Develop Thomas for a year and worst case franchise Kaepernick and eat the cap hit for a year if needed to let Thomas develop for a second year and then trade Kapernick.

This makes tremendous sense.

The 2 most effective recipes for building a perennial playoff contender that I can think of are (1) sign a HOF-caliber QB long term (Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers) and build around them, and (2) get very good QB play from a guy on his rookie deal, leaving you lots of money to spend elsewhere (Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, Flacco on his rookie deal). The problem is that if confuse overall team success with individual ability and pay a 2nd tier QB like a HOFer, you chew up a huge portion of your cap space for what is essentially replaceable value.

Kony Ealy reportedly ran in the mid-4.6's at Missouri's Pro Day today:

Ealy ran in the mid-4.6s on Thursday, a vast improvement over the 4.92 time from the combine. One report had Ealy timed at 4.57 seconds, which would be a personal record.

NFLDraftScout.com's No. 22 overall prospect, he could be in play as early as No. 10 to the Detroit Lions, where head coach Jim Caldwell could form a tag team of edge rushers in Ziggy Ansah and Ealy in the mold of his Colts tandem, Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.
Michael Sam, Kony Ealy improve 40-yard dash times at Missouri pro day - CBSSports.com

Detroit at #10, the Giants at #12, Chicago at #14 and Dallas at #16 are all possible landing spots. I'm rooting for Ealy to go high.

From Gil Brandt's Pro Day blog:

Antone Exum, CB (5-foot-11 3/8, 219 pounds) — Exum ran the 40-yard dash in 4.53 and 4.55 seconds. He had a 33 1/2-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-11 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.18 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.01 seconds. Exum is a well-built individual, and showed good fluidity in pass coverage and also an ability to track the ball well. Exum was a highly regarded player two years ago, but suffered a knee injury playing basketball in January of 2013. Exum came back to play in the 2013 season, but only played in three games and did not play at the same level as the previous season.

Pro Days - NFL.com

That's 6# heavier than Exum was at the Combine, where he ran an official 4.59 40 with a 35" VJ, 9'9" BJ. 4.13 SS and 7.05 3C.

Also from Gil Brandt's Pro Day Blog, re Florida State's Pro Day:

Christian Jones, ILB (6-3 5/8, 239) — Jones ran the short shuttle in 4.44 seconds, the three-cone in 7.03 seconds and had 17 reps on the bench press. He stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine. Jones was impressive at the pro day, and looks like a late third-round or high fourth-round pick.

Telvin Smith, ILB (6-3 1/2, 224) — Smith had a 30 1/2-inch vertical jump, 4.65-second short shuttle and 7.04-second three-cone drill. He performed 16 strength lifts and stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine (he had the second-fastest 40 time among linebackers in Indianapolis).

Pro Days - NFL.com

39.5" vertical at 262 is also pretty amazing.

EDIT: Watched a few of his games (only played 8 in 2013). He was mostly used as a 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE. High effort guy that is stout in the run game but he doesn't really flash the athletisism that his pro day numbers indicate (maybe a glimmer here and there). Looks like doesn't really have any pass-rush moves, all he really does is run into the body of the blocker and try to fight his way past him.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back