PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Preview 3-4 OLB Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB's "network" is sometimes overrated; for example, the Patriots have, AFAIK, never drafted one of Kirk Ferentz's players from Iowa.

That said, he uses his network to talk about players they've played against; for example, I believe he talked to Urban Meyer about Jerod Mayo.
NE drafted a Ferentz Center in the 7th, I believe in 2006.

BB's "network" is sometimes overrated; for example, the Patriots have, AFAIK, never drafted one of Kirk Ferentz's players from Iowa.

That said, he uses his network to talk about players they've played against; for example, I believe he talked to Urban Meyer about Jerod Mayo.

I agree. I think BB gets inside information not only about the players that play for his connections, but more importantly about guys on teams his connections have played against.

I still think the only reason Wilhite is on our team is because Urban planted a bug in BB's ear.

I think BB drafted Maroney because Ferentz planted a bug in his ear.

Fresno State has an OG on their team that really caught my eye and this might be an opportunity for BB to use his Pat Hill connection to uncover a diamond in the rough.

I'm a Hurricane alum myself and I'll second your point. McCarthy sucks and I don't expect to see him playing in the NFL.

I like Spence but he's too small. Could be good for someone like the Colts.

In my freshman year at the U. It's great. I like Spence too but agree he's more of a fit on a team like the Colts.

I like what I've seen from Telemaque too. Aggressive saftey, hard hitter, always around the ball. We are pretty set at safety.

Jacory has been horrible with his picks. Killing us.

I'm just going to C&P my post from another board since it's relevant to this thread.

If you guys get a chance in the next few weeks check out an Arizona game and keep an eye out for DE Brooks Reed (#42 - 6'3", 262 lbs.) and DE Ricky Elmore (#44 - 6'5", 260 lbs.). I think they both could be mid-round OLB conversion projects of interest next spring. Especially Reed.

I saw them last week and their explosion off the ball (sometimes from a standing start) and just all out violence and intensity made my jaw drop. Watching Reed I had flashbacks of Miami's Cameron Wake from the 'Phins game the week before. I don't really know why they aren't better known by draftniks. I'm just going off what my eyes tell me.

Those of you who missed UCF @ Marshall last night missed a good look at two OLB prospects on my short list for NE.

-- Marshall Jr. DE Vinny Curry, 6-4/252 was a beast. He didn't add to his FBS leading sack total, but he had another 9 TT and 4 QBH. He did this facing UCF's RT Jah Reid whom I expect to see playing on Sunday (and wouldn't mind for the Pats). A good game for both young men.

-- UCF's Bruce Miller, 6-2/248 was a beast for the other side, he finished with 6 TT and 3 QBH, but I liked how he flushed RBs into his fellow teammate's arms. He's the current active sack leader for the FBS and possibly the entire NCAA.

Curry is currently ranked #7 DE for 2012, that's about round 3. Miller is ranked as a 7th/UDFA OLB for this year, but I'd be surprised if he went undrafted with the number of 3-4 teams out there. Curry is more of a Vrabel/McGinest type, he doesn't seem to have Vrabel's ability to get low and bend around the Tackle to get to the QB, he's more of a power rusher like WillieMac, but he slices through the blockers on run plays like Vrabes used to do. I think he can be refined.

Miller has a little bit of Colvin and Bruschi in his game, he's got speed off the edge, but he's not a one trick pony. He slips blocks a little like Bru. As I said, he makes his teammates better.

Reid is 6-7/324 per UCF's roster, he moves well in space and in his pass protection and reminds me of Vollmer with his athleticism. NFL Draft Scout projects him as a UDFA just outside their 7th/UDFA ranked Tackles, but I think he's a kid who could sneak into the late rounds and surprise people.

I just can't get into the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night football. Has to be a really big Thursday game to even catch my interest. For example, West Virginia and S. Florida doesn't cut it. I cover high school football on Fridays, go to most PSU home games(We have a bye this week...mercifully) and kick back and watch the Pats on Sunday.

In my freshman year at the U. It's great. I like Spence too but agree he's more of a fit on a team like the Colts.

I like what I've seen from Telemaque too. Aggressive saftey, hard hitter, always around the ball. We are pretty set at safety.

Jacory has been horrible with his picks. Killing us.

Nice man, I graduated in 07 and it already seems so long ago, sadly. Are you in the towers? Or did you manage to snag some better housing?

The way I see the Hurricanes is that they're an average program with elite talent. Their strength and conditioning and defensive coordinator are liabilities, but really it starts with Shannon. He's better than Coker (not saying a whole lot), but I don't think they're going anywhere until they get the talent on the coaching staff commensurate with the talent on their roster.

JMHO, but I think the Pats will be looking to retool the OL, and DL in the next draft early. I think a 3-4 DE is the top priority. I don't see an OLB going off the board until round 2

JMHO, but I think the Pats will be looking to retool the OL, and DL in the next draft early. I think a 3-4 DE is the top priority. I don't see an OLB going off the board until round 2

I am with you on the DE early, but I would say that the OL/OLB could go either way in the late 1st depending on who's available, then grab the other with Carolina's pick.

Is Daquan Bowers more fitted for the 3-4?This guy's having a good senior year.Maybe he is realizing his potential.

Hey Box,
Did you see anything good out of Darius Nall? He is the DE that plays on the other side of Miller.

He has 4 sacks and 7 CB hurries this year. I have been very impressed when I have seen him play. I was not able to watch the game and I am mad cuz I wanted to see Curry.

Is Daquan Bowers more fitted for the 3-4?This guy's having a good senior year.Maybe he is realizing his potential.

He's actually just a junior. Reports say he dropped 20lbs and got serious this off-season. My only concern with guys that big already. You usually put on a few pounds as you get older. May outgrow olb. T.Suggs has gotten bigger and still quite effective. This kid seems like a bigger, faster version of him.

He's actually just a junior. Reports say he dropped 20lbs and got serious this off-season. My only concern with guys that big already. You usually put on a few pounds as you get older. May outgrow olb. T.Suggs has gotten bigger and still quite effective. This kid seems like a bigger, faster version of him.

Da'Quan Bowers is my favorite player in this draft and I think he would be a perfect fit to convert to OLB. He is a monster at 6'4 270, with Julius Peppers type athletecism. He can set the edge, rush the passer, play a variety of positions and has some experience dropping into coverage. He's not going to be your prototypical 3-4 OLB that regularly drops into coverage, but he would be a perfect fit for the Willie McGinest elephant role.

The thing I like most about Bowers is the variety of ways BB could use him. He can play the standard 3-4 OLB, he is big enough to play the 5-tech on passing downs and he has also had some success playing inside on 4-man fronts. He started the year as a mid second round prospect, but by the end of the year I could easily see him going top 10.

Hey Box,
Did you see anything good out of Darius Nall? He is the DE that plays on the other side of Miller.

He has 4 sacks and 7 CB hurries this year. I have been very impressed when I have seen him play. I was not able to watch the game and I am mad cuz I wanted to see Curry.
Nall doesn't stand out to me impacting the play the way Miller does, for his sake I hope he stays another year to develop more. He also made my short list of pass rushers to watch this season, but in two games he just doesn't jump out for me even though it looks like the potential is there.

3 sacks by Bowers today.His stock might be rising.I hope we get a top a 10 pick.We need the raiders to stink it up

3 sacks by Bowers today.His stock might be rising.I hope we get a top a 10 pick.We need the raiders to stink it up

Bowers is definitely someone to keep on the Pats radar. He's one of the few ends in college who is extremely stout against the run, has experience playing in a two-point stance both to rush and to drop into coverage, and consistently extends his arms, locks out his blocker, reads the play, and sheds to make the tackle--textbook two-gap technique. He plays like a Vrabel or McGinest already.

Bowers is definitely someone to keep on the Pats radar. He's one of the few ends in college who is extremely stout against the run, has experience playing in a two-point stance both to rush and to drop into coverage, and consistently extends his arms, locks out his blocker, reads the play, and sheds to make the tackle--textbook two-gap technique. He plays like a Vrabel or McGinest already.
And he's only 20 years old. You draft him and don't have to worry about the position for the next 12 years.

Nice man, I graduated in 07 and it already seems so long ago, sadly. Are you in the towers? Or did you manage to snag some better housing?

The way I see the Hurricanes is that they're an average program with elite talent. Their strength and conditioning and defensive coordinator are liabilities, but really it starts with Shannon. He's better than Coker (not saying a whole lot), but I don't think they're going anywhere until they get the talent on the coaching staff commensurate with the talent on their roster.

Agreed on Shannon. Not a big fan of him. I'm in the towers. Stanford.

Anyone on your list of coaches you'd like to see down here? I know Shannon just got an extension, but I can't see him surviving much longer if we keep getting ripped in big games (Ohio St., Florida St.).

I'd like to see Schiano down here. I like what he's done at Rutgers and he was Butch Davis' DC. Don't know how likely it is if he'd come or not though.

As for Bowers, I agree with you all. His two-gap technique really jumps out at you as soon as you watch him play. I could see BB spending a high pick on him just because of that experience he has, as well as his tremendous upside. He's my favorite prospect for OLB at the moment.

Agreed on Shannon. Not a big fan of him. I'm in the towers. Stanford.

Anyone on your list of coaches you'd like to see down here? I know Shannon just got an extension, but I can't see him surviving much longer if we keep getting ripped in big games (Ohio St., Florida St.).

I'd like to see Schiano down here. I like what he's done at Rutgers and he was Butch Davis' DC. Don't know how likely it is if he'd come or not though.

As for Bowers, I agree with you all. His two-gap technique really jumps out at you as soon as you watch him play. I could see BB spending a high pick on him just because of that experience he has, as well as his tremendous upside. He's my favorite prospect for OLB at the moment.

Seems like Schiano is sending better players to the pros as well. Shannon recruits a ton of talented kids, but rarely develops them. Schiano would be perfect for Miami.

Clemson appears to be a pure 1 gap defense. Nebraska plays a 2 gap 4-3 which is why Crick makes a lot of sense.

However if Clemson is playing a 2 gap defense, and Bowers is a stud agains the run, then he will be on BB's draft board.

Seems like Schiano is sending better players to the pros as well. Shannon recruits a ton of talented kids, but rarely develops them. Schiano would be perfect for Miami.

Clemson appears to be a pure 1 gap defense. Nebraska plays a 2 gap 4-3 which is why Crick makes a lot of sense.

However if Clemson is playing a 2 gap defense, and Bowers is a stud agains the run, then he will be on BB's draft board.

I watched a little of the Clemson/GA Tech game. It's assignment defense against that option. He had the qb. And, he played it well. They moved him around some because Ga tech was trying to run away from him. Didn't want Nesbitt to get killed. Clemson plays at BC this week. That's actually a good game to see if he sets his edge and plays against a good ol. Especially, when matched up with Costanzo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back