PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Preparing for the Next War

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
It is human nature for many to view past problems and assume that efforts to fix them result in a repetition of them. Last season's weaknesses, are always assumed to be the worst still in existence. Even if substantial efforts were made to fix them.

Many Fans still worry about our WRs and TEs and DL. But in every case lots of effort was invested to try to remedy them.

BB recognized that he could no longer rely on the Old Timers at WR to continue to carry the team, while he rebuilt other areas. So in the 2012 draft he drafted two high picks and traded for another young accomplished receiver. He let the old timers go into retirement. The results of playing rookies was predictably mixed.

BB continued rebuilding the Defense adding a premium pick at LB, and two more premium picks in the secondary in 2012 and once again the results were mixed, but on the whole much better.

Injuries hurt the DTs and LBs and a Star TE was arrested long after there was any time to do much about it, to replace him.

For several weeks BB experimented with pickups on the waiver wire, as teams ran roughshod over the interior DL, but by seasons end the newcomers were playing reasonably, and the veteran stars are expected to return.

A weakness long existent surfaced once again. Some of the interior OL play had problems, long recognized but put off for more important issues elsewhere.

This off season BB drafted a premium DL to continue the reconstruction of the Defense. He drafted three interior Offensive linemen in the Draft too, addressing the deferred issue and also addressing the developing age issue, there.

What are the prognoses?

1) The Defense reconstruction appears to be essentially completed, in the secondary and probably the DL too,for now.

2) The front line LB play appears complete, with three first or second round talents there. But the LB depth took a hit and this may develop into a problem.

3) A full replacement for a second starting TE was not addressed. This is only a problem if BB wishes to play a 2 TE Offense, which he did when he had two extraordinary talents there. In perspective however, the TE talent is superior to what BB has had or most of the decade and half of his reign. Sometimes injured Gronkowski is still the best TE in the League and perhaps the best there ever has been. Hoomanawanui is a typical reserve in-line TE, who can block, and can catch, even if he does not have the speed to get open too often. La Fell more a WR than an H Back or 'F' TE, still has extensive experience in his background running such plays at Carolina.

4) The investment in WRs should manifest itself this season. The reconstruction there should be essentially complete.

So where are next season's problems to be addressed?

Age would seem to be the prime emerging issue for some front-line players. AT QB, DT, and LG. Re-signing key veterans is also a problem, but that is an annual issue and no different than any other season. This next off season if anything should be easier than most, as there are only a few highly compensated vets to re-sign.

If anything, I expect that next off season will be a year in which Quality might be taken wherever it s to be found.

However replacements have been acquired but none has yet attained the status of an equivalent talent.

I petty much agree with that but think that this coming year is going to be a tough one contractually as the rubber may meet the road with Wilfork, Mankins, McCourty and Revis, whose price tag has been going up by the day due to the signings around the league. I think the Patriots will go big with him but that could still leave him out of the top 3-4 at his position and he may not be willing to accept that. Both Wilfork and Mankins could be released due to their price tags, and McCourty is also going to be a costly signing.

QB-Brady for a few more years, 4-5 at most, 2 at the least and that would be worst case scenario. Mallett will leave and Garrapolo will be the back-up, although if the Texans came looking for either I would make a deal for Johnson if it could be worked out in all areas. Garrapolo being the more likely player as they have already passed on Mallett.

RB-Ridley and Vereen need new deals but at this point neither will break any bank and both should get done.

TE-Still need another #1 imo,

OL-Guard will become a priority if they decide to move on from Mankins due to cost.

WR-Would love to see a number 1 but think they will do just fine this year either way. I doubt they get a number 1 in the draft because they won't be there at the end of the round but they could still add a really good prospect. can't wait to see the young guys this season.

DT-Easely is a great start but this may well and up being the priority after 2014, Belichick was wise to get started on it now because if Easely pans out the need will be lessened.

DE-I will wait until after this season to see where they need to go at that position but he may decide to try and add another Chandler Jones type because Jones will be looking for a huge payday down the road.

LB-A need, period. Too thin at the position imo.

S-I think they will get McCourty done but if not then it will likely be a serious need.

CB-Depends upon Revis.

ST-All set, although a KR would be nice. Maybe Jeff Demps is available........j/k.

Every season is a new war and the Pats are ready.

Did Kellen Winslow II write the thread title?

I think that there will be some long time favorites and great players whom are in danger of being cut next year, although it's to early to tell. The salary cap will be going up and with that and the way the league is turning into a passing league would lead me to believe Revis and McCourty are the priorities.

1.No draft of DB's (really, in what some thought was deep class)
2.The drafting of all the lineman (Mankins?)
3.The Money saved from Inmate and Fanene (not sure about this one)
4.I think with cutting some people and having youth at expensive positions (LT,WR,DL) will help with keeping the ISLAND which should be offseason to do list #1

a) I haven't seen anything from Belichick that makes me think he'll do any heavy bidding to keep Vereen or Ridley at the end of their rookie contracts. I think Belichick views RB as a position that can be filled with players on rookie contracts and vets on one-year show me deals. He'll step aside and let the damn fool teams overpay for a "feature back" at free agent prices.

b) I think that every new CB contract that gets signed makes it easier to sign Revis to an extension. It's going to take a top-of-the-market deal and, at least now, everyone can see where the top of the market it. If Belichick offered Revis Sherman's deal plus a buck, would Revis walk?

"Next War" have problems with the title... soldiers go to war, football players start their "season"...

"War" and "football season" do not equate....

a) I haven't seen anything from Belichick that makes me think he'll do any heavy bidding to keep Vereen or Ridley at the end of their rookie contracts. I think Belichick views RB as a position that can be filled with players on rookie contracts and vets on one-year show me deals. He'll step aside and let the damn fool teams overpay for a "feature back" at free agent prices.

I tend to agree with your overall thoughts about the RBBC system. That said, I also feel as though Belichick is smart enough to assess every player individually, especially during a year where we'll see all of Ridley, Vereen, and Bolden (RFA) as free agents. I think that there's a decent chance that ONE of them will be staying on for reasonable money, although it's anyone's guess right now who that may be. I think we'd be signing a different tune should Ridley go back to his 2012 numbers with almost 1300-1400 yards and a dozen or so TDs.

b) I think that every new CB contract that gets signed makes it easier to sign Revis to an extension. It's going to take a top-of-the-market deal and, at least now, everyone can see where the top of the market it. If Belichick offered Revis Sherman's deal plus a buck, would Revis walk?

I'm not sure how the continued raising of the CB market is helping our cause in regards to the potential Revis negotiations? Actually, it's much the opposite.

You make it sound as though "giving Revis Sherman money plus a buck" would be a good thing....

That is around 15 million dollars per year. That's already 25% higher than most of us were assuming on a long term deal, not to mention 25% higher than what Revis is on board for this year--which isn't exactly pennies.

Mixing two tough negotiators together in Revis (and his "camp") and Belichick will be hard enough, even under perfect circumstances. Then you have the fact that Revis is significantly older than all of these kids who are setting the market in Sherman, Haden, and Peterson--which may give BB a reason for a slight pause on an extra year or another 8-10 million in guaranteed money.

Count me in as one who was much happier when Revis was making the top of the CB market prior to the deals of Sherman, Haden, and Peterson.

It may/may not end up mattering in the long run, but I can't agree that "it makes things easier" to get a long term deal done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents