PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction: This team will be more dominant than 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
not having McDaniels playcalling is hard to overcome

4zch639.jpg

"Guess I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue"

The more I think about the refreshed receiving corps, our TE situation, the resurgent running game, the more balanced play-calling, the promise of a young defense that has some real talent and - dare I say it - discipline/leadership...

Couple that with a very fired up Brady, Moss and Welker trio...

I think people are starting to think it, but very few really want to say it, so I'm saying it: this squad is going to be even better than 2007.

:rocker:

fifty.gif

Well there is one thing for certain, with our defense, Brady is going to have to put up record numbers 2007 style in order to be that successfullllllllllllll

l:confused:

Here's why I'd like to get your dealer's number.

linebackers.jpg

I know we've looked good in the pre-season, but it's only pre-season.

Plus, if we are starting lots of young guns in there, they'll be making mistakes and hoprfully coming together as a unit by the later part of the season. It looks good and I'd be happy with 85% of the 2007 passing offense, plus a it more commitment fro mthe run game.

Oddly enough, I looked up 2004 run season vs 2007 run season and while they had about 300 more yards in '04, both running games averaged 4.1 yds/a

Yes, I think on offense, we'll be better. Defense, I'm a little unsure about in the front lines, the backfield should be better.

RBs are a potential weakness.

Hopefully, BB will get more involved in the offense. To my thinking, one of the most important things is to be able to run completely different plays out of the same formation. Last year our offense was so predictable that it was obvious to me that Maroney was going off tackle when he was. BB knows this I'm sure and will correct it.

Well, as Ronny Reagan would say..Unbridled optimism...I'd love to see it ,but it should be tempered with a reality check..Injuries .. holdouts and sudden aging can ultimately change the whole tenor of the season ...cool down boy...

Regardless of performance, one thing we won't be short on this year is excitement. We've got a lot of young promising players, which does entail a lot of uncertainty as to how the season will unfold. Over the longevity of the season, the way this team looks by week 17 and beyond will be interesting. I'm very intrigued on how this year will develop. It's exciting to think about.

A primer of "Definitions from the PFS74 Fans' Dictionary"

A team with "a lot of young promising players" with "a lot of uncertainty" "over the longevity of the season" at 11--5: "Exciting"

A team with "a lot of young promising players" with "a lot of uncertainty" "over the longevity of the season" at 9--7: "Disappointing"

A team with "a lot of young promising players" with "a lot of uncertainty" "over the longevity of the season" at 7--9: "The result of poor drafting"

Last edited:
I think people are starting to think it, but very few really want to say it, so I'm saying it: this squad is going to be even better than 2007.
:rocker:

That depends on how you define "better"

As much confidence as I have that that Defense will be an unexpected strength in spite of the loss of Ty Warren (not to mention the gap where Seymour was), as of yet they've done nothing (nor has anyone else in the 2010 season).

Despite some uncertainty at OL I have even more confidence that the offense, with Moss in a contract year, plus a healthy Welker, Edelman, multiple dependable TEs, a slimmed down Faulk and of course Brady, could be better than 2007 and that's saying a lot.

But this year's schedule is a lot tougher than 2007 IMO... if the team is as good as or even better than they were in 2007 I wouldn't expect them to come close to sweeping the regular season. (Raising the question of whether an 11-5 team is "better" than a 16-0 team)

As long as the Pats remain in strong contention for the playoffs, I won't fret throughout the regular season. It's a whole new ball of wax come the playoffs, and regardless of seeding and byes, team health at that time will be critical.

All of these things stand in stark contrast to a team on paper.

Last edited:
The only thing I can say in support in the OP theory is that most of us would have had the same response this time in 2007 if someone told us that the 2007 Pats would be one dropped INT away from a perfect season. That said I doubt this team will be as good as 2007.

To be AS dominant would be very difficult.
To be MORE dominant is beyond mere optimism .... an utopian dream maybe.

To be sure we saw are a lot of good things happening but this is pre-season.
But consider
- Pats run D is suspect
- the Oline is one injury away from being swiss cheese.
- the Dline depth is also questionable. Pats have some older guys that need to stay healthy all season.
- the OLBs are ok but will be targets all season as the weak link.
- if Bodden' injury continues into the season that will be a problem
- it looks like PATs may be using several rookies in key positions.
there is a learning curve there. ( McCourty, Spikes, Hernandez, Gronlowski)
- then there is the idea of playing like a team that old thing called chemistry.
will it be as good as 2007? How long will it take.
- then there is the injury bug. will PATs get bitten much this year and how bad?

MORE dominant? nice dream.

Last edited:
Lol at this thread.

Personally, I think that the Offense COULD be better then it was in 07, Brady has more weapons at his disposal, and better weapons too if the rookies perform like they have in pre-season & TC so far.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic, but I can't see going into any season anticipating being better than the most productive team in history. Let's aim for taking the division first and go from there. Tough schedule will make that well earned (though the 07 schedule certainly had its challenges).

FWIW, I imagine the Colts/Jets fan board will have a field day with this thread. Can't blame them; we'd do the same.

I can't blame him. I'd like to believe that this team will be more dominant than the most dominant team of all time. I just don't. I think they'll be good, but not on that level.

Good but on the way of getting better and hopefully best as the regular season rolls and come next year and I say this with a grain of salt - "INJURY BUG STAY AWAY"

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes