PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict the Opening Day Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats are going to be a 4-3 team, and they will be great against the run.

I think the front 4 might be "Steel Curtain"esque, with Seymour, Vince, Brace/Wright, Warren against the run, and repace Vince with Green on passing downs. What reamins to be seen as if the front four alone can get consistant pressure on the QB. If they can (and I doubt it) then they might have the best defense in the NFL. What I think will be more likely is that other teams are going to play the Pats they way the Pats played the Vikings a few years ago, spread them out and throw quick short passes. This is the achilles heel, the Pats don't get to the QB, the CBs are not good at the line, and they seem to have trouble tackling. Plus the Pats lack the big hitter in the Secondary (nobody's head is on a swivel looking for 175 lbs Merriweather).

This defense is made to stop the teams in the AFC East, however it maight have a tough time with the better west coast style offenses in the NFL.

Their base may be 4-3, which I think is smart since so many BB disciples are now fighting for the same 3-4 players.

However, I have to disagree somewhat and do think the Pats can get the QB. In passing situations, Burgess and Green will line up at DE, take out Wilfork and Warren, put Seymour inside. Guyton, Mayo, and Thomas are extremely fast, and our secondary seems to be deep enough for quality nickel.

It was 2001:

Seymour, Hamilton, Pleasant, Mitchell

Vrabel, Bruschi, McGinest

No it wasn't. The 2001 season the Pats started in a 3-4 and played all preseason in a 3-4. It was week 3 or so when the Pats switched to the the 4-3. No this was a post-Super Bowl winning season and the Pats played the 4-3 almost the entire preseason and then played the 3-4 from day one of the regular season at least as their base defense.

The Pats were a 4-3 team from the first month of the 2001 season through 2002.

Who cares when the last time we played only 4-3 in pre-season was?

Is the insinuation that we're still going to play mostly 3-4 this year when pre-season is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft