PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict Patrots 2010 record

Status
Not open for further replies.
This team has gotten very young and very fast the past 2 years and because of that you must allow for a little time for these newcomers to gel and become a forcable unit...IF they get to that point.

I think forecasts of 12-4 or 13-3 are ridiculous for such a young core of defensive players,several players of which have moved from the boys to the mens game,it may take a few years to get to 12-4 or 13-3 again IMO

IMO Best case scenerio leaves the team with a 10-6 mark and a chance at the division - 9-7 or even an off year at 8-8 is certainly possible,especially with a key injury or two.

Anything better than 10-6 is going to require A LOT of luck and some bad game plans from some of the better teams we face this year.

I look for the offense to be about 5-10th best in the league with the defense being in the bottom half in the lower teens to early twenties rankings

As I said in my own post, I think it's too early to make a specific prediction. I do agree with the overall tone of your thread, but disagree that it will "take a few years" to return to 12/13 win seasons. I've always looked on 2011 as the logical culmination of the rebuild that really started last year; in other words, I definitely don't want a 2011 work stoppage/lockout/whatever we call it!

This team has gotten very young and very fast the past 2 years and because of that you must allow for a little time for these newcomers to gel and become a forcable unit...IF they get to that point.

I think forecasts of 12-4 or 13-3 are ridiculous for such a young core of defensive players,several players of which have moved from the boys to the mens game,it may take a few years to get to 12-4 or 13-3 again IMO

Last year we had a high number of first-timers to the defensive system who took significant snaps: Bodden, McGowan, Chung, Pryor, Burgess, and Butler.

This year, none of the presumed starters (or those projected to take extensive snaps) or key playmakers are first-timers, and if they do get supplanted, then someone else is better, and that would be a bonus.

Last edited:
I am going on a limb and calling a 14-2 year.

Welker back first game.
Much improved running game.
Brady back to 100%
and being fired up by being called 3rd in the divison

I said 12-4 in the last Monday Night Roundtable thread so that's what I'm going with. I'll preface this by saying that I came up with that record off of pure and unbridled optimism.

IMO Best case scenerio leaves the team with a 10-6 mark and a chance at the division - 9-7 or even an off year at 8-8 is certainly possible,especially with a key injury or two.

Anything better than 10-6 is going to require A LOT of luck and some bad game plans from some of the better teams we face this year.

I look for the offense to be about 5-10th best in the league with the defense being in the bottom half in the lower teens to early twenties rankings
I'm curious.
You have the offense worse than last year while most observers feel that Brady having a year under his belt after the injury will make it better. Do you attribute the drop to Mankins? Or what are the other factors.

Alternatively, you have predicted the defense will be below average or flat out terrible after being ranked in the top 5-10 last season, depending on the criteria you use. Where do you see the degredation? Do you think the dropoff from Thomas to anyone with a helmet will be that severe? Do you think we are worse without Jarvis Green? Are you expecting no increased contribution for the second year players like Chung, or Brace? I assume you expect next to nothing from the rookies?

If we use 2009 as grond zero, I dont see how we sliipped so far?

if the defense can get it done i say 13-3 but if the defense plays the same as last year. 10-6 at best.

I am just so confused on why so amny people see a drop off.

What exactly did they lose? NOTHING they resigned all the importan players and Brady is back to 100%

It hurts my Brain

I'm curious.
You have the offense worse than last year while most observers feel that Brady having a year under his belt after the injury will make it better. Do you attribute the drop to Mankins? Or what are the other factors.

Alternatively, you have predicted the defense will be below average or flat out terrible after being ranked in the top 5-10 last season, depending on the criteria you use. Where do you see the degredation? Do you think the dropoff from Thomas to anyone with a helmet will be that severe? Do you think we are worse without Jarvis Green? Are you expecting no increased contribution for the second year players like Chung, or Brace? I assume you expect next to nothing from the rookies?

If we use 2009 as grond zero, I dont see how we sliipped so far?

This. Welker's injury and the possible (likely) loss of Mankins are the only downgrades I see. Brady should be healthier. Moss should be healthier. Mayo has had plenty of time to recover. Wilfork and Warren should both be healthier. The only loss out of the secondary is Shawn Springs. No matter who is starting next to Wilfork, they can't be as bad as Jarvis Green. Expecting 4 sacks out of Nink or Cunningham to replace AD's production isn't crazy. The second half play calling can't be any worse. Aiken should be the #5 receiver at best.

And that's not even counting the rookies brought in or the improvement of players, especially the second year DBs and WRs.

What exactly did they lose? NOTHING they resigned all the importan players and Brady is back to 100%

It hurts my Brain

Plus Mayo, Moss, Vollmer, Wilfork and Warren are healthy. People (not you, just people in general) seem to forget that they were all playing with pretty serious injuries too. The Pats will definitely sustain injuries over the course of the season, but last year was especially bad.

Last edited:
Until I see otherwise, I expect that we will continue the dominance over out division, as we are 41-13 the last 9 years, and I don't see where the division is any more difficult this year than it has been over those 9.
I'll put us at 5-1 in the div because of the difficulty we always have in Miami. A year of their system on tape, the losses outweighing the addition, and the bulletin board material a year in the making says we sweep the Jests.
We hardly ever lose to bad teams. We have 4 of them on the schedule outside the division (Chi, Cincy(they return to their normal 6-10 this year), Detriot, Cleve).
That brings us to 9-1 outside of the competitive part of the schedule.

Those 6 are
Baltimore, Indy, GB, Minnesota at home
SD and Pitt on the road.

3-3 in those games is the safe pick.
3-3 says we split the road games, which I think makes a lot of sense.
3-3 says we have to count Bmore and Indy as losses because Bmore came here and won in the playoffs and Indy has had our number lately, and that we beat NFC teams at home which we always do, and neither of those teams seem good enough to come here and spank us.

Thats 12-4.
Only 4-2 in the division could make it 11-5, avenging the Colts or Ravens could make it 13-3.

It hurts my Brain

i think a lot of people see a drop off not because of who they lost but because of the way they played to end the season. and the way the offense played with out welker. who may not play the first few games

13-3
Pats are beating the ravens and colts

This. Welker's injury and the possible (likely) loss of Mankins are the only downgrades I see. Brady should be healthier. Moss should be healthier. Mayo has had plenty of time to recover. Wilfork and Warren should both be healthier. The only loss out of the secondary is Shawn Springs. No matter who is starting next to Wilfork, they can't be as bad as Jarvis Green. Expecting 4 sacks out of Nink or Cunningham to replace AD's production isn't crazy. The second half play calling can't be any worse. Aiken should be the #5 receiver at best.

And that's not even counting the rookies brought in or the improvement of players, especially the second year DBs and WRs.

Well, many people are saying that.
Patriotsfaninpa sees both sides of the ball getting worse, and the defense getting awful. I was looking for some insight into the reasons he sees, not the argument to refute his opinion.

This. Welker's injury and the possible (likely) loss of Mankins are the only downgrades I see. Brady should be healthier. Moss should be healthier. Mayo has had plenty of time to recover. Wilfork and Warren should both be healthier. The only loss out of the secondary is Shawn Springs. .

Cutting Spring was not a loss by any stretch of the imagination. He made 40 tackles which is too high for a CB, and when you consider that he was DNP for 6 games, that means 40 tackles for 10 games.

You don't want to make tackles, you want to pass-defend, bat the ball away, or intercept. Making a tackle means you were beat by the pass.

In Contrast, Bodden made only 47 tackles while playing 15 games, with 18 PD, 1 FF, and 5 INT.

Cutting Spring was not a loss by any stretch of the imagination. He made 40 tackles which is too high for a CB, and when you consider that he was DNP for 6 games, that means 40 tackles for 10 games.

You don't want to make tackles, you want to pass-defend, bat the ball away, or intercept. Making a tackle means you were beat by the pass.

In Contrast, Bodden made only 47 tackles while playing 15 games, with 18 PD, 1 FF, and 5 INT.

I'll rephrase that as "only departed player from the secondary." I'm just getting tired of so many non-Pats fans saying that our secondary is too young, even though the only loss wasn't even a loss.

The way I see it, this team could either be significantly better or significantly worse than last year. Here are a couple of things that this team would depend on in order to come out significantly better than 2009...

1. Improve play at the quarterback position.
Brady started off the year badly erratic, seemed to have corrected it through the middle of the season, then began slipping again at the end of the season. I believe that this is due to three things in particular. The first is that Brady was coming off of the first serious injury of his career. That much is obvious and he had to deal with the physical and mental aspects of this. The second is the absolute drop off in weapons after Welker and Moss. Aiken sucked... badly. I actually laughed out loud as people defended him last year, then laughed so hard that I sharted when BB shot those defendants of the guy down with the heavy drafted in pass catching options and the signing of Torry Holt. He was terrible, Stanback wasn't much better, Edelman was serviceable and showed promise in his rookie year but was injured, Chris Baker was unbelievably slow, and both he and Watson had to stay back to block the majority of snaps due to injuries and inconsistencies on the offensive line. The third reason was injuries done unto Brady himself. The shoulder that Haynesworth re-injured in the preseason, the broken ribs, and the finger. All of those had an impact on his spotty play at the end of the season. Hopefully we can keep Brady upright and healthy this season.

2. The emergence of our young guys in the passing game.
As has been mentioned, the options in the passing game outside of Moss and Welker were not exactly stellar last season. We let Watson and Baker walk off into the sunset and have replaced them with three bodies: Crumpler, Gronk, and Hernandez. While I expect Hernandez to spend whatever time he sees on the field in the slot this year, we need to hope from something more from Gronk in the passing game. Can he contribute and be the threat down the seam and over the middle that we need from the TE position? Can he block on running downs? On top of that, can Edelman show improvement over 2009? Can Tate get on the field and make any contributions? What about Taylor Price? Will he show us anything this year? Torry Holt alone is not going to be enough, I don't think. We're going to need a few of these guys to step up if this offense and this team is going to make any significant improvements over 2009.

3. Can the O-Line, as it is, stay healthy and keep Brady upright?
This was as detrimental to the offense as anything last season. Light, Neal, and Vollmer all had significant injuries last year and the depth that came in behind them was not about to get the job done on anything approaching an admirable level. Because of this, Brady suffered multiple injuries and was often hurried to make a throw to a sub-par receiving corps by better pass rushing defenses. On top of that, the TE's were taken out of the passing game to help protect the edges against edge rushers from opposing defenses. The health and consistency of the offensive line is absolutely critical this year if we are to see any improvement. Admittedly, the (what looks like) loss of Mankins does not help that. Can Kaczur come in and do an admirable job of replacing his production? We'll see. But, for now, I'm liking the way the starting O-Line is looking. Light-Kaczur-Koppen-Neal-Vollmer sounds about right to me. But their health is absolutely key. I'm not high at all on Connolly. LeVoir is decent, we have no clue what we have in Bussey or Ohrnberger, and Larsen is a rookie. Here's to hoping...

4. Can Gerard Warren or Damione Lewis do better than Green and Wright?
The loss of Seymour at RDE hurt us on so many levels last year. When it first happened, I said that I was cool with it just as long as we had someone coming in behind him that showed promise at the position. Turns out we didn't. Teams gashed the right side of our defense all season long in the run and Jarvis Green was not the presence in the passing game that he once was. The floodgates finally flew open in the Baltimore playoff game. Can Warren or Lewis come in and show themselves to be effective run stuffers and can they also get a push in the passing game? If they aren't the ones, can Deaderick, Brace, or anybody else step up to do a great job of making us forget about the issues of 2009? Someone stepping up there will not only help the D-Line, but it will also help the OLB position extensively as well.

5. The ability of our younger guys to step up in the LB corps.
Those of us with our doubts about Gary Guyton kept having to try to sell his believers on the fact that he was more than just a third down ILB. Turns out the team sided with us with the drafting of Brandon Spikes to go with Tyrone McKenzie. But can one of them step up to effectively put Guyton on the sidelines during first and second down? This will be imperative to our interior run defense as well as our interior pass rush (which would make the defense much more effective against the likes of the Mannings and the Brees' of the league). At OLB, can Jermaine Cunningham show anything this year? It appears that he's going to be counted on much more now with the release of Crable. Can Cunningham show enough to supplant Ninkovich (a JAG, IMO) in the starting line-up? Can TBC give us even half of what he gave us last year? In order for the defense to show improvement, the D-Line has to improve first followed very closely by the LB corps.

17-2 we win the SB.

Personally, I think it is too early for me to even venture a guess. I'd say anywhere from 9-12 wins. Until I see if Welker comes back and how well he plays and what the DE, OLB, CB, and ILB positions look like; this team could be exponentially better or worse than last year. A lot of unknows. Assunming Welker is back and close to 100%, I would venture to guess they are better.

Patriots 11-5
Dolphins 10-6
Jets 8-8

Pats take 3rd seed in the playoffs.

Pats 12-4
Fins 10-6
Jets 6-10
Bills 2-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes