PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Practice Report 9 by bedard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bedard is usually pretty good, but he's got a screw up here.

Roll call: Practice #9 - Extra Points - Boston.com

Bedard said:
CB Alfonzo Dennard (hamstring), LB Tracy White (unknown), FB Tony Fiammetta (unknown), TE Visanthe Shiancoe (unknown), DT Jonathan Fanene (unknown), FB Spencer Larsen (unknown), OT Matt Kopa (leg), WR Deion Branch (no team), OG Derek Dennis (no pads per CBA), Nick McDonald (no pads per CBA), S Derrick Martin (no pads per CBA), DT Ron Brace (unknown).

Greg - Fiametta is on the Exempt/Left Camp List. How can you say it's "Unknown"?

I kinda like the No Pads rule for 3 practices after a player is signed, comes off the PUP/Did Not Report List.

He states the offense had a less than stellar afternoon.:(

So I guess the Defense had a good afternoon. :)

He states the offense had a less than stellar afternoon.:(

So I guess the Defense had a good afternoon. :)

Yeah it's hard to react to most practice reports pertaining to units as a whole as opposed to one player.

"Great news....wait no, crap!!! That's a problem...but that's good to hear!! Yes!! Wait...no....yes.....YES!!! NO!!!

He fixed it on the site. My guess is that he just reused Friday's report as a template and missed that point.

Not a very detailed report from Bedard - not up to his usual standard. The most interesting report came from Field Yates, and included the following tidbits:

Move of the day. Third-round draft pick Jake Bequette was surgical in bursting past Nate Solder in a rep of 1-one-1 pass rushing drills, using a nifty move in which he chopped with both of his hands onto the punch of Solder, who was backing into his anchor. The chop threw Solder’s set off-balance, and Bequette sped around the edge.

Covering up backs. Rookie defensive end Chandler Jones has done a little bit of everything so far in his first training camp, including finding himself in man coverage of a running back on a wheel route from the backfield on Sunday. It’s not uncommon for defenses to put their ends in a position to cover running backs man-to-man, especially during designed blitzes that incorporate linebackers. Perhaps no running back is more difficult to keep up with than the Saints’ Darren Sproles, who we’ll see in practice starting on Tuesday. It’s possible we’ll see Jones, as well as the other Patriots defensive ends and linebackers, in coverage of Sproles at some point during practice or the preseason game on Thursday night.

Vereen building. Another strong day for running back Shane Vereen. He may not overtake Stevan Ridley as the Patriots’ top running back, but it looks like he’s not going away in the three-man running back competition.

Camp Observations: Day 11 - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

It's way way way too early to even begin to feel the delight of schadenfreude BUT...so far...the aroma of a Pats hit on Jones combined with the stink of "Dog Days" Coples is tickling the taste buds of Pats fans everywhere...

Seemingly every time I peruse these camp observations from Bedard, Yates, or Reiss it mentions UDFA Francis having a good show in camp thus far in one-on-ones. I am rooting for him to make the team and contribute during the regular season.

Seemingly every time I peruse these camp observations from Bedard, Yates, or Reiss it mentions UDFA Francis having a good show in camp thus far in one-on-ones. I am rooting for him to make the team and contribute during the regular season.

BB has a history of UDFAs making the team and contributing significantly. Randall Gay, Mike Wright, Pierre Woods, BJGE, Brian Hoyer, Kyle Love, among others (not including UDFAs who started with other teams such as Wes Welker, Danny Woodhead and Kyle Arrington). This year Francis and Brandon Bolden look very strong. It's too early to call either a "lock", but both seem to be making it very hard to keep them off the roster.

Vereen looked much quicker today and showed a lot more juke than in the last2 practices I seen.

Bolden did not look at quick as last time.

Ridley looks special. He running reminds me of Thurman Thomas, but bigger.

Arrington and Moore played on the slot WR, The pats outside corners seem to be playing on top more than in previous camps.

Chandler Jones looks like a 1st rd pick. And like Bedard says he had decent coverage on Woodhead.

Solder and the rest of the oline looks tired. If Brady is out there for more than one series Thursday I will be surprised.

Two more flea flickers today, both thrown to wr then back to the qb.

Donald Thomas looks a lot bigger than 305.

Hightower plays faster than his timed speed.

Love reading the expanded reports by Bdard, Yates, Reiss; always interesting to see the different takes:

Bedard:
RB Brandon Bolden made a spectacular leaping, back-shoulder grab of a Hoyer pass about 18 yards down the left sideline. Bolden had yet to show that type of receiving ability to date.

Reiss:
...Meanwhile, Bolden ran hard in close and also continues to show nice hands in the passing game (diving catch along the sideline).

Either way, looking forward to seeing Bolden in game action.

I like the part about Vereen. I think he can be a dangerous weapon out of the backfield. He can be a shifty runner, and he has excellent hands as a receiver, Cal used to split him wide as a receiver on some plays. Someone mentioned Ridley looks like a bigger Thurman Thomas, Vereen reminds me a lot of Thurman Thomas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Same here...that guy has definitely caught my attention.

Same here...that guy has definitely caught my attention.

I've been watching Francis in training camp. First thing you notice about him is his physique. He's kind of round in the mid section. Physically he's got the mid-section of a DT but with the rest of him being more similar to a DE. But he has really long arms. And watching practice on 7/30 I asked myself "Who is 68 blue??" a few times. The play that jumped out the most was during a zone run away from him where he chased the RB from the backside. That's a big boy play.

That sort of play is pure hustle. Not to say that he lacks skill because he held his own. I also went to TC yesterday and knew to keep an eye on him and he flashed again just "doing his job" anchoring against the run on his side and get after the QB in pass plays. In other words, he was doing "doing his job" the best compliment one can give to a Pats player.

Caserio says:
"Justin was a pretty versatile player. They actually played him as a 3 technique (outside shade on guard) and a little bit of a 1 technique (inside shade on guard), so he kind of played inside defensive tackle, and some on the perimeter on the end of the line of scrimmage. Disruptive player. Played 100 miles per hour, non-stop motor.

Last edited:
It's way way way too early to even begin to feel the delight of schadenfreude BUT...so far...the aroma of a Pats hit on Jones combined with the stink of "Dog Days" Coples is tickling the taste buds of Pats fans everywhere...
There's been a few comments made regading Jones and Coples. Where are people reading that Coples is struggling? JI? Gang Green? I'm curious and like Joker, would delight in their freakin misery

There's been a few comments made regading Jones and Coples. Where are people reading that Coples is struggling? JI? Gang Green? I'm curious and like Joker, would delight in their freakin misery

Coples recorded multiple "sacks" yesterday (or today, I forget which).

Coples recorded multiple "sacks" yesterday (or today, I forget which).

Not taking away that, but that's not hard when your competition is Wayne Hunter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back