PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For reference – UFAs and trade acquisitions over the last 3 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
To help us all identify the areas that Belichick prefers to target through UFA and trades.

- DE Marcus Stroud
- WR Tyree Barnes
- RB Eric Kettani
- WR Chad Ochocino
- DL Albert Haynesworth
- DL Steve Williams
- OL Chris Morris
- OL Jonathan Compas
- DE Mark Anderson
- DE Andre Carter
- DE Shaun Ellis
- LB Niko Koutouvides
- S James Ihedigbo
- LB Ricky Brown
- TE Garrett Mills
- WR Tiquan Underwood
- LS James Dearth
- CB Antwaun Molden
- OG Brian Waters
- OL Matt Kopa
- OL Nick McDonald
- OL Thomas Welch
- LB A.J. Edds
- TE Dan Gronkowski
- QB Mike Hartline
- FB Eric Kettani
- FB Tony Fiammetta
- FB Spencer Larsen
- WR Anthony Gonzalez
- WR Brandon Lloyd
- WR Donte Stallworth
- TE Daniel Fells
- T/G Robert Gallery
- DT Marcus Harrison
- S Steve Gregory
- DE/OLB Trevor Scott
- DE Jonathan Fanene
- CB Will Allen
- CB Marquice Cole
- LB Bobby Carpenter
- WR Jabar Gaffney
- WR Greg Salas
- TE Michael Hoomanawanui
- DL Armond Armstead
- DL Marcus Benard
- RB LeGarrette Blount
- WR Danny Amendola
- OL Tyronne Green
- WR Lavelle Hawkins
- WR Michael Jenkins
- WR Donald Jones
- DT Tommy Kelly
- T Will Svitek
- QB Tim Tebow
- RB Leon Washington
- S Adrian Wilson
- TE Mark Mulligan
- DL Andre Carter

I ran some numbers and based on that list it looks like BB likes to target every position:bricks:

I ran some numbers and based on that list it looks like BB likes to target every position:bricks:

Actually, he targets some significantly more than he targets others.

• 13 – WR
• 13 – DE/DT
• 7 – OG/OC
• 5 – TE
• 4 – LB
• 3 – RB
• 3 – FB
• 3 – CB
• 3 – FS/SS
• 2 – QB
• 1 – LS
• 1 – OT

• 13 – WR
• 13 – DE/DT
• 7 – OG/OC
• 5 – TE
• 4 – LB
• 3 – RB
• 3 – FB
• 3 – CB
• 3 – FS/SS
• 2 – QB
• 1 – LS
• 1 – OT

And his two most targeted spots are now our weakest including TE.

There's definitely some weight to certain positions, but looking at the type/quality of players signed, his strategy seems to be to use FA/trades as a stop gap. He tries to get players that are not ideal long term solutions or superstars, but add depth, competition, and are able to do the job if nothing better comes along. With all positions "filled" this way, it leaves draft options open. Less weight can put on drafting based on need, and they can try to take BPA, or try to double up draftees at positions they really want to nail:

Gronk/Hernandez
Wheatley/Wilhite (ugh)
Ridley/Vereen
Jones/Hightower (not same position, but both front 7 players)

I'm expecting something similar this year. Fill in the holes, then double up on two OL in the draft (probably a 2nd and a 4th).

This to me speaks volumes to the way BB likes to build his roster. Reward your own guys for their work by giving out the biggest contracts to those who have earned it on this team and consistently draft well to replenish the ranks. Not over paying for talent on the free agent market is a big aspect of being able to keep everything together for such a sustained period of time.

It does leave us wondering what a big splash here or there could have done as far as possibly putting us over the top but a mistake there can hurt worse than it could help. But then again the contract given to homegrown Ahern seems to be hurting us just the same.

Bottom line is there is no perfect way but BBs way definitely limits the damage and puts the emphasis internally on the players improving and the coaches coaching em up rather than trying to buy it on the market.

There's definitely some weight to certain positions, but looking at the type/quality of players signed, his strategy seems to be to use FA/trades as a stop gap. He tries to get players that are not ideal long term solutions or superstars, but add depth, competition, and are able to do the job if nothing better comes along. With all positions "filled" this way, it leaves draft options open. Less weight can put on drafting based on need, and they can try to take BPA, or try to double up draftees at positions they really want to nail:

Gronk/Hernandez
Wheatley/Wilhite (ugh)
Ridley/Vereen
Jones/Hightower (not same position, but both front 7 players)

I'm expecting something similar this year. Fill in the holes, then double up on two OL in the draft (probably a 2nd and a 4th).

I think it would be Jones/Bequette, although Bequette hasn't worked out at all. Also, Dobson/Boyce.

I think it would be Jones/Bequette, although Bequette hasn't worked out at all. Also, Dobson/Boyce.

He does seem to like double dipping in the same draft years on the positions he is attempting to rebuild.

- Dobson/Boyce (WR)
- Collins/Buchanan (DE/LB)
- Ryan/Harmon (DB)
- Jones/Bequette (DE)
- Wilson/Dennard (DB)
- Solder/Cannon (OT)
- Dowling/Williams (DB)
- Ridley/Vereen (RB)
- Gronkowski/Hernandez (TE)
- Cunningham/Spikes (3-4 LB)
- Deaderick/Weston (3-4 DE)
- Chung/Butler (DB)
- Brace/Pryor (DT)
- Vollmer/Bussey (OT)
- Tate/Edelman (WR)

Is it me but as a trend, they all suck.

Is it me but as a trend, they all suck.

I wouldn't say they all suck but there certainly is not anything spectacular at least not yet. I am still expecting great things from Amendola. But there are several players in each year that contributed fairly large roles Waters, Gregory, Carter, Lloyd to name a few.

But nothing really cost them that much money especially future dollars.

He does seem to like double dipping in the same draft years on the positions he is attempting to rebuild.

- Dobson/Boyce (WR)
- Ryan/Harmon (DB)
- Jones/Bequette (DE)
- Wilson/Dennard (DB)
- Solder/Cannon (OT)
- Dowling/Williams (DB)
- Ridley/Vereen (RB)
- Chung/Butler (DB)
- Brace/Pryor (DT)
- Vollmer/Bussey (OT)
- Tate/Edelman (WR)

While I dispute a couple of the DB/LB examples as 'same position' (when dealing with a safety and CB or ILB and OLB), I generally agree that it seems like a real trend,, to the point that I figure there must be something to it. I would love to hear Belichick give an honest answer on whether or not it's something that they do by design, and if so, why.

The ones that really jump out to me are Gronk/Hernandez, Ridley/Vereen, Solder/Cannon and Dobson/Boyce, because in each case multiple picks of relatively high value were invested in fundamentally different players playing the same basic position. Some thoughts on why it might be beneficial to do it this way:

• It's pure shotgun approach. You figure that half of the guys that you draft are likely to become contributors, so once you've identified a position of need, it stands to reason that you'll draft two guys to fill the hole.
  • You want to create a positional group with a lot of flexibility at a position of need. That's why you draft a Ridley (more of a traditional straight-line/one-cut RB) vs. Vereen (a hybrid runner/receiver) or Gronk (a prototypical dual threat and by all accounts good guy) vs. Hernandez (more of a motion, WR-esque guy and also a serial killer), or Dobson (a big, physical, outside the numbers guy with great hands) vs. Boyce (a smaller, stouter, slot-type guy with elite speed but questionable hands).
  • They hit FA at the same time, so you're able to see more of both of them before deciding who to extend
  • You plan on devoting an inordinate amount of time to coaching up this position, so might as well let multiple guys see the benefit of that rather than one.

When you are re-building, it is not appropriate to chose one player and hope that the decision was right. Double-dipping at positions of need makes a lot of sense.

I seems somewhat sad that Belichick has double-dipped at DB THREE years in a row, and folks are still talking about drafting a corner and safety (even if we re-sign Talib).

- Dobson/Boyce (WR)
- Ryan/Harmon (DB)
- Jones/Bequette (DE)
- Wilson/Dennard (DB)
- Solder/Cannon (OT)
- Dowling/Williams (DB)
- Ridley/Vereen (RB)
- Chung/Butler (DB)
- Brace/Pryor (DT)
- Vollmer/Bussey (OT)
- Tate/Edelman (WR)

You seem to be very interested as to how we fill our 90 man roster.

I agree that we bring in lots and lots of warm bodies each year on both lines and at wide receiver. Also, we carry lots of backups on the lines and at wide receiver, and we understand that Belichick likes to consider discounted veterans for these positions.
===================
Perhaps, it might be interesting to understand how Belichick fills his starting 27 (I include nickel back as a starter in addition to a second running back). We basically have a roster of half starters and half backups.

For example, Belichick seems to like to draft his tackles. All three of our tackles are draftees.
Is this be accident? Or does the cost of top free agent tackles make the draft generally a better choice.

• 13 – WR
• 13 – DE/DT
• 7 – OG/OC
• 5 – TE
• 4 – LB
• 3 – RB
• 3 – FB
• 3 – CB
• 3 – FS/SS
• 2 – QB
• 1 – LS
• 1 – OT

He needs to target younger players with talent. Stop bringing in over the hill strouds and scrubs. be willing to deal the picks it takes to bring in players you KNOW CAN DO THE JOB!!!!! I would rather trade a #2pick for a legit talent THAN TRY GETTING OFF CHEAP TRADING #4ROUND PICK FOR SOME SCRUB OR OVER THE HILL HASBEEN. HeI WOULD RATHER PAY GOOD $$$$ TO ONE PLAYER THAN THE MINIMUM TO FOUR SCRUBS!!

He needs to target younger players with talent. Stop bringing in over the hill strouds and scrubs. be willing to deal the picks it takes to bring in players you KNOW CAN DO THE JOB!!!!! I would rather trade a #2pick for a legit talent THAN TRY GETTING OFF CHEAP TRADING #4ROUND PICK FOR SOME SCRUB OR OVER THE HILL HASBEEN. HeI WOULD RATHER PAY GOOD $$$$ TO ONE PLAYER THAN THE MINIMUM TO FOUR SCRUBS!!

You can say that but we're always picking late in the first round and few teams are willing to drop from top 5 to late 20s now that we have a rookie cap. That makes it very difficult to get a 'blue-chip' prospect. BB has had some great drafts, especially considering with where we are picking.

I wouldn't say they all suck but there certainly is not anything spectacular at least not yet. I am still expecting great things from Amendola. But there are several players in each year that contributed fairly large roles Waters, Gregory, Carter, Lloyd to name a few.

But nothing really cost them that much money especially future dollars.

Maybe suck is too hard but first thank you to Brady6 for putting the list together.

Talib and Blount were missing from the list (Trade acquisitions)

Roughly it looks like a 10% hit rate, 1 out of 10 become a contributor, the draft is around 20% based across the entire league. Another reminder to temper expectations, the majority of the Patriots production will come from players already on the roster.

You seem to be very interested as to how we fill our 90 man roster.

I agree that we bring in lots and lots of warm bodies each year on both lines and at wide receiver. Also, we carry lots of backups on the lines and at wide receiver, and we understand that Belichick likes to consider discounted veterans for these positions.
===================
Perhaps, it might be interesting to understand how Belichick fills his starting 27 (I include nickel back as a starter in addition to a second running back). We basically have a roster of half starters and half backups.

For example, Belichick seems to like to draft his tackles. All three of our tackles are draftees.
Is this be accident? Or does the cost of top free agent tackles make the draft generally a better choice.

I think everyone on here is interested in how he builds the 90-man roster, including you and me; the Patriots are our hobby so we like to understand it. There have been several articles in recent weeks suggesting Belichick focuses too much on the bottom of the roster.

If you look at that list, our veteran free agent acquisitions have poor over the last few years.

Maybe suck is too hard but first thank you to Brady6 for putting the list together.

Roughly it looks like a 10% hit rate, 1 out of 10 become a contributor, the draft is around 20% based across the entire league. Another reminder to temper expectations, the majority of the Patriots production will come from players already on the roster.

When you're looking at all FA roster transactions, including bottom-of-the-roster moves, I'd be surprised if the Pats are worse than league-average on this front. They're probably significantly better.

Can you really knock the Patriots because guys who were broad in to be fringe STers didn't turn into starters? Because that's what we're doing if we're labeling someone like AJ Edds or any of the 3 FBs signed in 2012 as a 'miss'

If we're evaluating guys who were brought in to play significant roles vs. whether or not they were effective on those roles, even 2011 had as many hits as misses. Yeah, Ochocinco, Ellis and Haynesworth sucked, but Waters, Anderson, and Carter all proved to be excellent pickups, and Ihedigbo ended up filling in... I don't want to say capably, but whatever's worse than that without being so bad that it keeps you from going to the Super Bowl.

Blount should be on there, I missed Talib because he was in season trade, good catch.

I think the 2011 class really drives the numbers down in terms of impact players, due to the impact of the lockdown. I think that in the 2000s Belichick was very successful with signing those end of the career type players and getting some level of resurrection from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back