PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Practice 8-30-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Placed on PUP. Theoretical return possible after 6 weeks (along with Lewis).

Yes, that's what the tweet says. It's different than the IR designation that was being tossed about earlier by other reporters, which I find interesting.

Yes, that's what the tweet says. It's different than the IR designation that was being tossed about earlier by other reporters, which I find interesting.
Now I am seeing others report IR which would be season ending. Just have to let the smoke clear.

Waddle it is.

Now I am seeing others report IR which would be season ending. Just have to let the smoke clear.

The IR-return designation has changed a bit, in the sense that you no longer need to name the player ahead of time. Perhaps this could be the case for Vollmer if he is placed on IR.

The IR-return designation has changed a bit, in the sense that you no longer need to name the player ahead of time. Perhaps this could be the case for Vollmer if he is placed on IR.
That would only be possible if first placed on the 53. But if he is on PUP, it is moot because he theoretically could return (although it isn't sounding likely).

That would only be possible if first placed on the 53. But if he is on PUP, it is moot because he theoretically could return (although it isn't sounding likely).

Right, right. No need to use IR, really, since reserve PUP could take you up to week 11 (IIRC).

I'll believe he isn't coming back when someone reports that his locker has been cleaned out and he's gone home. THEN I'll accept he isn't coming back at some point.

My belief is that if he does have a hip condition that just recently surfaced, it's more a matter of pain control. Maybe they will keep him off the field for most of the season and get him ready to play, say the last 4-6 games and the playoffs, and manage his pain for a short season. That way the Pats can send him off to retirement in style.

So, if the tweet has it right, Vollmer's not on IR, at least yet.

No reason to put him on IR when he is PUP eligible. Unfortunately that doesn't give us insight into the chance he could come back mid season though.

No reason to put him on IR when he is PUP eligible. Unfortunately that doesn't give us insight into the chance he could come back mid season though.

Unless I've missed something about the new rule, there's no reason not to, if he's definitely going to be gone for more than the 9 weeks alloted for a PUP guy, either.

Unless I've missed something about the new rule, there's no reason not to, if he's definitely going to be gone for more than the 9 weeks alloted for a PUP guy, either.
Sure there is.
You get one IR player that can be activated.
Everyone on PUP can be.

So if you put a PUP eligible player on IR then he returns you wasted the only returnable IR spot.

If he can't come back all season it's moot but assuming there is a chance PUP would be the smarter way to go.

Sure there is.
You get one IR player that can be activated.
Everyone on PUP can be.

So if you put a PUP eligible player on IR then he returns you wasted the only returnable IR spot.

If he can't come back all season it's moot but assuming there is a chance PUP would be the smarter way to go.

What I posted:

So either you didn't actually read what I'd posted, or you're looking for a fight. If it's the former, I've bolded the relevant part. If it's the latter, I'm not obliging.

Have a good evening.

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know) the maximum time would be 6 + 5 + 3 weeks:

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six weeks of the regular season. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.

Physically unable to perform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back