PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Practice 8-30-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Wikipedia (yes, I know) the maximum time would be 6 + 5 + 3 weeks:

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six weeks of the regular season. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.

Physically unable to perform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, it's the rule change from 2013's CBA. I should have written 11 weeks, instead of 9.

What I posted:

So either you didn't actually read what I'd posted, or you're looking for a fight. If it's the former, I've bolded the relevant part. If it's the latter, I'm not obliging.

Have a good evening.

It's not a 9 week window. It's 11 weeks to have the player return to practice or go on IR. Once he returns to practice, you have 3 weeks to activate him or release him.

If he's ready week 13 to play after practicing week 12, I'd say they'd want to bring him back at that point and not have to use their one IR return spot.

There's no reason to not put him on PUP. If he's ready to go (i.e. begin limited practice - which in itself can be a bit nebulous to define) anywhere between week 6 and week 11, you've saved your IR return spot. If he's not ready to practice in a limited fashion after 11 weeks, he goes to IR and nothing is really lost.

The only reason to not put him on PUP and put him on IR is if you "know" he won't be ready until the very end of the season and also don't want to use the IR return spot on someone else. Both of those seem pretty questionable (at best) to me. They have an easy way to have him recover for most of the season, see where he's at and if he can contribute in December, without burning their one return from IR. Seems like common sense to PUP and not IR.

What I posted:

So either you didn't actually read what I'd posted, or you're looking for a fight. If it's the former, I've bolded the relevant part. If it's the latter, I'm not obliging.

Have a good evening.
I'm referring to the chance he returns.
If he never returns the designation is irrelevant.
If he returns it is better to put him on PUP

My point being unless there is absolutely zero chance of returning the it wouldn't make sense to use the IR designation.

I don't think we know there is zero chance.

Nah, LeBlanc is a "lock." Or maybe it was Roberts? J.Jones? Okay, Coleman? :D

I gave you a funny smilie, but LeBlanc did look really good last game. I would be surprised.

Anyone else feel an overwhelming sense of relief Mitchell is back practising with the team? He really looks to have something.

Agreed. The fact that he was a FULL participant in practice today doing drills with the team instead of going to the lower field for conditioning is a tremendous sign. Just two weeks ago we were all singing a different tune.

I gave you a funny smilie, but LeBlanc did look really good last game. I would be surprised.

Oops, didn't read through. Has a hip [minor, hopefully]

Agreed with the bunch, why IR someone when he hasn't practiced? Unless he's missing a body part, he might be available and we're certainly better with Vollmer. Can't play? IR then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back